Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 2:EE in production

Great news

[quote]Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster
Our next project is planned and started, it is #BG2EE. This morning I saw a new area concept running in the game and it looked amazing.[/quote]

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Nice to know the wheels are in motion, and all that.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Great. Let's release BG:EE before worrying about BG2:EE. I mean, c'mon already!

This. Hahah I'm one of those noobs who is more stoked about BG:EE to be honest
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    @Quartz, Noob 2 here o/
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I guess that makes me noob #3, I guess. If I had to give a finite reason, I suppose it would be that BG:EE is going to be a lot more than BG1 was, with the new engine and all, but BG2 isn't going to be nearly such a dramatic improvement.
    My main reason is that I never really play BG1 alone anymore, I always export to BG2 and play that as well - obviously that won't be possible until both EEs are out.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    Perhaps this be a hint that BG:EE is near-complete at least?
    With the release date less than two weeks away, I'd think it had better be.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Heinrich said:

Finished enough to continue to commit some people to BG2EE already, is indeed good news. Gives me the hopeful idea not having any trailers, screenshots or new appetizing info come out is more because of the approval of Atari/WOTC not keeping apace, than the finishing of the game itself being stalled.

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Pantalion said:

I guess that makes me noob #3, I guess.

I guess we agree then, I guess.

Okay on a serious note...
    Pantalion said:

If I had to give a finite reason, I suppose it would be that BG:EE is going to be a lot more than BG1 was, with the new engine and all, but BG2 isn't going to be nearly such a dramatic improvement.

This is precisely my reason for being more excited about BG:EE. Baldur's Gate 1 needs the improvements most, BG2:EE will be awesome and all but like you said the improvements won't be quite as dramatic. Which is fine, of course.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Quartz said:

This is precisely my reason for being more excited about BG:EE. Baldur's Gate 1 needs the improvements most, BG2:EE will be awesome and all but like you said the improvements won't be quite as dramatic. Which is fine, of course.

Except for the potential of add-on stuff. BG2 doesn't face the same 'you won't get new XP' problems (or not as bad) as BG1' with new stories and areas. BG2 has a lot of opportunity to be as grand an improvement, depending on how it rolls.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Yep, the developers spend much time on the ToB engine itself. So now that they have worked on it, they can spend more time on additional content.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Hey, if they would go ahead and start taking preorders for BG2:EE, they've got my next 20 bucks right now.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188

Heinrich said:

Finished enough to continue to commit some people to BG2EE already, is indeed good news. Gives me the hopeful idea not having any trailers, screenshots or new appetizing info come out is more because of the approval of Atari/WOTC not keeping apace, than the finishing of the game itself being stalled.

If they haven't said that they're waiting for approval for the trailers then I would assume they wanted to show the final product to make a better impression.

I read in an interview that before the September release, they weren't happy with the game so they needed more time to polish it up by fixing bugs but is also introduced more and basically going around in circles. The game is 2 weeks away and I hope they're confident in releasing it this time.