Skip to content

Paladin - Weapon Proficiency Help

Greetings all,

I plan on running a Paladin (Cavalier) and I wanted to ask a quick question. I understand that later on in the series Paladins should put points in two-handed swords, but what is the advantage early on?

Should I try dual wielding, or is the shield worth less damage? Or am I better off going two-handed?

If someone could explain the differences such as why the 1d8 versus 1d10 is worth a higher AC (lack of shield), it would be greatly appreciated. Or even touch on the advantages/disadvantages of dual, single , and two-hand.

Thanks!

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    An advantage with two-handed weapons besides the damage dice is that the 2h weapon specialization skill increases your chance of getting a critical hit, which doesn't have an equivalent for 1h weapons. As you may know, the main long-term 2h advantage for paladins is a certain sword you get in BG2. There's also the whirlwind attack HLAs which incease your attacks to 10 for one round - obviously this tends to scale better with a 2h weapon than a 1h one. Other than that, there's nothing special putting 2h above 1h.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    At the end of BG1, my paladin had two dots in 2h Weapons, 2h Swords, Axes, and Sword and shield.

That let me kick arse with the very nice 2h swords in the first game, as well as use throwing axes and normal axes with a shield if I needed a ranged attack or more AC. I'm not sure where i'm gonna go from here because that's all I wanted and once I get the holy sword I'm not really gonna use anything else.
  • kidcresthillkidcresthill Member Posts: 3
    Best to go with two-handed so you can wield the Holy Avenger "Carsomyr"
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    Thanks all.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    The advantage is so you can feel like a berzerking madman crazy person.

In all seriousness, I think Cavaliers should go axes. Returning throwing axes are your only option for ranged weapons (and hammers, but let's save that for someone who doesn't have access to other weaponry).

The Holy Avenger? It's overrated. Do what your heart tells you. [inspirational reason why goes here]
  • SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35

The advantage is so you can feel like a berzerking madman crazy person.

In all seriousness, I think Cavaliers should go axes. Returning throwing axes are your only option for ranged weapons (and hammers, but let's save that for someone who doesn't have access to other weaponry).

The Holy Avenger? It's overrated. Do what your heart tells you. [inspirational reason why goes here]

Overrated my butt :P
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    If you are playing BG1, do no bother with two handed sword IMHO.

Choose the long sword proficiency, since they are the best weapons in the first game.

Since you'll only have access to a +2 axe when you arrive to Baldur's Gate, you should only add two stars to axes later in the game.

If you are out for a bit of thievery (+ 3 scimitar from pickpocket), or ready for a very hard fight against a specific famous character (+5 scimitar and +3 scimitar), you can also add two stars to this weapon proficiency.

It is more than probable that you'll be able to change your proficiencies at the beginning of BG2, where Carsomyr is available, so do not bother with two handed swords in the first game as a Cavalier (Since you won't be able to use a bow, it is worthless to use two-handed swords in the first game).

Note that in BG1, two handed swords only do 1-10 damage. on the contrary, in the second game, Carsomyr can make 1-12 damage...
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    Can cavaliers use throwing axes? I know they can't use missile weapons but does a throwing axe count as an axe and not a missile weapon?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @allhailsteve Yes, Cavaliers can throw axes - or they could. Don't know if there will be a change in the game for htat.

I don't think Carsomyr is overrated, but I do agree that there are other ways to do this. I actually like the thought of a Cav with a morning star, regardless of what weapons come along in the game.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210

@allhailsteve Yes, Cavaliers can throw axes - or they could. Don't know if there will be a change in the game for htat.

I don't think Carsomyr is overrated, but I do agree that there are other ways to do this. I actually like the thought of a Cav with a morning star, regardless of what weapons come along in the game.

Thanks - I thought so but I've never played a cavalier before. I plan to for my first playthrough.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Cavaliers can use any ranged weapon that has a melee component to it. Axes, Daggers, there might be something else. I went axes since there are some nice throwing axes.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Can cavaliers use throwing axes? I know they can't use missile weapons but does a throwing axe count as an axe and not a missile weapon?i

Axes can indeed be thrown by a Cavalier, though do missile/piercing damage when thrown
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    Do not underestimate the power of a low AC in BG1. Give your Cavalier a high dexterity (or the gauntlets of dex 18), the best armor you can find, the biggest shield you can get, the belt of piercing and boots of avoidance. And points in sword-and-shield fighting. Now you've got a guy that's nearly unhittable by arrows and most other attacks aswell. A frontline tank, protector of the weaker party members. Just what a Cavalier should be like, IMO :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited November 2012
    I STRONGLY recommend putting 2 prof points in axe, especially if you're a cavalier. Not only will it enable your cavalier to use "ranged" weapons of a sort (throwing axes), but there is a particularly useful throwing axe in the game that can only be used by good-aligned chars. Besides, there are some very powerful axes in the game and (IIRC) only ONE NPC who is proficient in them - and he isn't able to use the good-aligned axe I just referred to.

I would also suggest being proficient in long swords and flails. There are a few very powerful weapons of each (especially the latter) to be found relatively early in the game, and as with axes, there are very few (if any?) NPCs who are proficient in them.

I suppose my suggestion for starting profs for a cavalier would be:

Axe ++ (strongly recommended)
    Long sword ++
    Flail ++

...and then add points to 2-handed sword as you go.

Just my humble advice.

** EDIT: I assumed that since you mentioned cavaliers, you were referring to playing BG2. If you're actually playing a modded BG1, please ignore my "advice." What I described above refers ONLY to BG2.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    It's for BG : EE, where you can play with the BG2 kits ...

Therefore, and unless they add new weapons (and notably a flail +2), as you stated, this is not really useful to put your proficiencies the way you did.

Shield and sword style should be useful also, but the main focus should still be on long sword / scimitars
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited November 2012

Therefore, and unless they add new weapons (and notably a flail +2), as you stated, this is not really useful to put your proficiencies the way you did.

You're correct.

TBH, I'm also undecided as to what weapons profs to use in BG:EE as well. The original BG1 allowed you to choose from much broader weapon categories (i.e: "large sword," which included long, bastard, & 2-handed swords), which suited the fact that there were a lot less weapons to choose from in BG1 than in BG2. One of the biggest reasons I never got into BG:Tutu is because I couldn't stand making such specific weapon choices for BG1.

This issue could be resolved by the fact that BG:EE will supposedly add new weapons, but we won't know what these weapons are until about halfway through our first playthroughs.

Having said all that, there is one particular 2-handed sword in original BG1 that is very useful - especially when you find yourself in a rather STICKY situation (hint hint).
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    Both have advantages and disadvantages. It all boils down to your prefered play style. I always prefer sword and board to 2H myself as i prefer a balance between damage dealt and damage taken. Properly implemented, 2H swords have a nasty habit of missing a lot as they're much slower.(note i did say properly implemented).