Skip to content

How to fix the Charm bug in bg1??

Ok, I'm playing bg1, my main character got dire charmed by the sirens and I charmed him back. Bad idea.. Now whenever the charm runs out (mainly when I travel between areas that are far apart) he becomes hostile but just sits there unless I re charm him.. He can't continue quest chains when in this state, I have to talk to people with an npc to continue a quest, turn it in, etc.. What variable do I need to change in gate keeper to fix this? IE to remove the charmed global variable to get him back to normal?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Try enabling debug mode and using Ctrl+R on your character, that solves most affect issues.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Tried it.. I can open the console menu with Ctrl+Tab but Ctrl+R just opens up my character record screen?
    Nevermind. Enabled the commands ingame and used Ctrl+R to heal my PC, rested afew hours and still turned into "hostile" and not moving. No dice yet. any other tips?
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    This happened to me once and I had to restart. Charming your own PCs seems to make them FUBAR.
    Do you have an old save log? Save often!
  • orosiusorosius Member Posts: 45
    Dispell?
    Nah, I usually play with just quick save for days. Only really Main save a new game when I plan on playing a different character... Too many saves to scroll through when loading is ANNOYING. Nothing to dispel.. It's a bug that set their variable as hostile. I looked it up in infinity explorer and it said under enemy/ally section "EVILCUTOFF" where as all my other NPCS say "PC" in that section.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Try one of the following :
    Drink a potion of clarity
    Drink a potion of magic blocking
    Use a Scroll of Protection from Magic

One of those should work. Alternatively, export your character, transfer your savegame file to multiplayer, load the game, in the character arbitration delete and recreate your main PC, start the game, save it, retransfer the saved game and play on. Should work like that IMO :P
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    If you upload your savefile I can try taking a look at it.
    @Cheesebelly, you want to run that by me one more time, in a language someone who's not exactly computer literate can understand? Like, a more laid out series of steps?
    Actually, my multiplayer function doesn't work. I have windows 7 and GOG version, and it crashes when I go to create a multiplayer game.
    I may just give up on the game and wait until BGEE Comes out in two weeks. I've got enough going on to not be wasting a couple hours a day on this when it's causing problems like this. :/
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @stygga : if I am not mistaken, MP should work only in windowed mode, so try that out (it's firewall settings blocking the game from working properly on Win7 and Vista if I am not mistaken)

If it'll work, I can explain you the steps more carefully if you wish :)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Yup I run on Windows 7 and multiplayer works as long as you're in windowed mode. Shortcut is ctrl+enter IIRC. And you only have to be in windowed mode while initiating a multiplayer game. After the game is under way you can return to playing fullscreen.
    stygga said:

Nah, I usually play with just quick save for days. Only really Main save a new game when I plan on playing a different character... Too many saves to scroll through when loading is ANNOYING.

Man... I'm a saveaholic. I have more saves than Superman. Get it? Haw.