Skip to content

So, Xzar not being a party member in BG2.

2»

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited November 2012
    Sarevokok said:

Anyone else feel this way? Not just about him mind you, any other NPCs.

I was very disappointed Shar-Teel didn't return. Not only was she one of the top 3 NPCs in BG1 IMO, but also had one of the most memorable personalities.

Unlike others here, I was very disappointed that Dynaheir starts off BG2 dead. Not only did I dislike the "canon" party that the makers imagined me starting with (Minsc, Jaheira, and Khalid were among my least favorite NPCs in BG1 - although Jaheira and Minsc are much improved and more tolerable in BG2 IMO), but Dynaheir was probably the only one of the canon that I originally liked.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Also, I was annoyed at what becomes of Safana in BG2 (killed off in a quickie cameo after betraying your party). She was one of the most memorable and enjoyable NPCs in BG1.

It was even more irksome considering that one of BG2's biggest shortcomings was its lack of NPC thieves. Safana would've been ideal as an NPC in BG2 - especially if they bulked up her stats like they did to the other returning NPCs.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Also, I was annoyed at what becomes of Safana in BG2 (killed off in a quickie cameo after betraying your party). She was one of the most memorable and enjoyable NPCs in BG1.

It was even more irksome considering that one of BG2's biggest shortcomings was its lack of NPC thieves. Safana would've been ideal as an NPC in BG2 - especially if they bulked up her stats like they did to the other returning NPCs.

You share my sentiments exactly.

Her actions in that cameo were off-color for her anyway. So out of character.
  • 10thLich10thLich Member Posts: 99

I always thought a cool plot twist would've been if, moments after Xzar was "killed" and the assassin left, the REAL Xzar stepped out of the shadows and explained that you had actually just spoken to an illusion or clone of his that he had created in his stead, to fool the harpers.

Actually, that's what happens if you install The Darkest Day.
  • buttersworthbuttersworth Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2012
    10thLich said:

I always thought a cool plot twist would've been if, moments after Xzar was "killed" and the assassin left, the REAL Xzar stepped out of the shadows and explained that you had actually just spoken to an illusion or clone of his that he had created in his stead, to fool the harpers.

Actually, that's what happens if you install The Darkest Day.
    But how? Isn't he supposed to be unable to cast illusions? I mean, being a necromancer and all that.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It's a clone of some sorts if I remember correctly.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I would love to have Xzar and Montaron in my gang again. Problem is, he's going up against Edwin, who's unjustly powerful to the point where he makes every other evil mage obsolete. There'd be no tactical advantage to taking Xzar at all (unless they boost his Wisdom by 1 point, making him dualable to a Cleric).

I've played the Kivan and Xan for BG2, the first was awesome (he is a DEATH machine) but often very melodramatic (he slowly turned from quiet brooding badass to whiny ponce) and Xan was also pretty awesome but suffered from interjection overkill (having more banters/interjections than the rest of the party combined kind of overshadowed the others) and failed to provide a proper reasoning for his doom and gloom attitude over those 200 banters. Still, he showed some actual intelligence, something often lacking with writing for high Intelligence characters.

Personally, I'd love Yeslick in BG2 (the mod's only for BG2, not ToB atm so I'm holding off), the game could use more proper dwarf-ness in it.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Stats wise, Xzar just sucks (4 HP per level, 17 intelligence only).
    But "character / personality " wise, that's sad to be witnessing his demise (since my firsts playthroughs were with him and Monty).

So I guess, I don't care very much about the fact he cannot joins me in BG2.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Xzar makes a decent Cleric, if you dual him, though I prefer Viconia