Skip to content

[Request] Mod that makes more loot locations use loot table drops

RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
From my forum searches it appears most people dislike the loot table system in IWD, but I really enjoy it. I like the replayability that it adds and would like to expand on it.

Is there any mod that greatly increases the number of locations with loot tables. If not, how difficult would it be to make such a mod for someone who has limited experience modding other games and almost zero experience modding the Infinity Engine games?

Comments

• RavandelRavandel Member Posts: 54
    I am starting with my modding journey but I am thinking already about what you have just mentioned. I am enjoying mostly item mods, but like 50 items placed in shops or added to drop from enemies (I mean 100% chances each run for enemy dropping same new items) is kinda dull for me.

But I wouldn't go for too much random loot places, rather some of that, some new enemies with that loot random tables, some old enemies with that tables, some in shops etc.

I don't know if this is possible (or if possible - easy to do), but divide items into categories & tiers, then spread them across places/enemies I mentioned above.
    I will give an example:

We have pool of tier 1 items, lets say containing 30 items.
    5 items from that pool are randomly chosen and placed in Orrick shop, another 5 in Conlan shop (there could be segregation on tier1 items, and i.e. Orrick shop could get only mage type items).

Now you just go to quest and find random loot spot. You could find items there from all tier1 pool and lets say there is 25% chances of containg item from tier 2 pool, 5% chance to contain item from tier3 and 1% to contain item from 'special tier' pool.

You go to chapter 3 and now common tier of items in pool is tier2 with small chances of lower/higher tier of items.

I could write more but it was just example, and you can adjust how that will work. Like some place contain only mage items, another all tier1, another 2x tier1, 1xtier2, 3x ranom gem + 1xrandom scroll.

Atm I IWD runs are pretty much similar with some exceptions. Your party at the end of game will look almost same equipment wise each run since some best items are guaranteed.

Just my 3 cents :)
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Personally, I dislike the approach Beamdog had when they enhanced the CRE files of various creatures. In the old IWD, when you killed an orc you could find a variation of gold pieces, not just 6. Always 6.

Before one can consider adding more random items, though, we would need a mod that add both more items to the game, but also add the existing, not used items.
    Redrake said:

Before one can consider adding more random items, though, we would need a mod that add both more items to the game, but also add the existing, not used items.

Yes, I agree. The best way will be this kind of universal mod with tiers & tables I mentioned with easy to add items created in other mods there.

Anyway I was searching a bit IWD and modding and seems like most ppl who created big mods like Auril's Bane (never played it, but checked files and what is inside yesterday) are absent or went for BG. That person who did mod I have just mentioned had big project almost size of HoW but data was corrupted for this years ago.
  • RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    Looking through files with NearInfinity, it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to implement - just time consuming to update all of the relevant containers with random items... as well as making more random item pools.

Does anyone know if there's a way to affect the odds of one item being picked over another? For example, if I put 3 of item "X", 2 of item "Y" and one of item "Z", does "Z" only have a 1/6 chance to drop?
    I have just started learning about modding in weidu. But if anyone could explain me (best will be example) how to manipulate random stuff in IWD I will be glad and might think more about that mod.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Ravel said:

Looking through files with NearInfinity, it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to implement - just time consuming to update all of the relevant containers with random items... as well as making more random item pools.

Does anyone know if there's a way to affect the odds of one item being picked over another? For example, if I put 3 of item "X", 2 of item "Y" and one of item "Z", does "Z" only have a 1/6 chance to drop?

you would be correct, item Z would have a 1/6 chance, item Y would have a 2/6 chance, and item X would have a 3/6 chance

also, if you want to change the loot that enemies drop, you can just adjust their random treasure item columns
    sarevok57 said:

Ravel said:

u want to change the loot that enemies drop, you can just adjust their random treasure item columns

Can you give practical example how to do it? Or link to any guide?
    Ravandel said:

Redrake said:

Anyway I was searching a bit IWD and modding and seems like most ppl who created big mods like Auril's Bane (never played it, but checked files and what is inside yesterday) are absent or went for BG. That person who did mod I have just mentioned had big project almost size of HoW but data was corrupted for this years ago.

Grog. I know.
    Auril's Bane was actually worked on by Grog (started by him) and me.

Auril's Bane actually included some of the fixes made by me. After Grog no longer had time for the mod, I continued it, fixing some bugs and later on made a mod (non-weidu) based on Auril's Bane fixpack). My mod regarded the overall fixing of UB content, restoring various items, adding functionality to other items and even writing some stories for some of the otherwise common weapons.

I haven't work on it in some time, but the thread of my mod is still here:http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?board=112.0

And of course, I still have all the files from the original Aurils Bane, my own work and the in-between works of Grog and me.

Nice Redrak, thanks for info and links. I will look into it more then.
    Ravandel said:

Nice Redrak, thanks for info and links. I will look into it more then.

You're welcome. I might eventually get on and work on a version of my mod for EE. But only after the new patch is released.
    Redrake said:

You're welcome. I might eventually get on and work on a version of my mod for EE. But only after the new patch is released.

Would be nice, I am atm also waiting for that patch.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Ravandel said:

sarevok57 said:

Ravel said:

u want to change the loot that enemies drop, you can just adjust their random treasure item columns

Can you give practical example how to do it? Or link to any guide?
    if you are using NI you can go to the rndtres.2da file, and in the columns that are random treasures for enemies you can just add more or less stuff to them

cant really give an example, because i made a mammoth mod for IWD and i completely revamped EVERY single enemy in the game, and made new random item columns ( kind of like the random treasure 1,2,3,4 from the BG series ) and then i just assigned those to the baddies instead
    All right, thanks for info sarvok57 :)