Skip to content

Dual-class Shadowdancer to Fighter

malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
I rolled a 93 on a Shadowdancer and plan to dual it to a Fighter at level 9. This would, with the EXP cap removed, let me easily get to Fighter level 7 in BG1 (which is only 3K EXp over the cap).

I want to clarify though (not that it matters much with a 93) that I DON'T need 17 Charisma to dual class FROM a SD to a Fighter, I only need at least 17 in STR for the Fighter right? I need only 15 in CHA for the SD, if I understand this right.

Dualing at 9 will give me a Backstab of 3X, 2 uses of Shadowstep, and 150 thieving points (over the base points for the race) I believe.

So should I just put all of my thieving points into Hide in Shadows and Move Silently? It seems so as I'd have basically just enough points to get HiS and MS to 100 each give or take 5 points.

I'm not going to use the Grandmastery un-nerf.

For prof points I'm thinking:

BG1:
Thief:
Quarterstaff +
Shortbow +
Two-Handed Weapon Style +
Dagger +

Fighter:
Two-Weapon Style +++
Longsword +++

BG2 First 5 profs

Scimitar +++
Dagger ++ (giving +++ once I've got my thief class back)

I'd probably eventually put 2 more points into Quarterstaves and maybe 2 more into Shortbows, but I'm not sure about the bows since I'll have Daggers for a ranged weapon.

BTW I've got him as true neutral so I'll have flexibility on the party. I could go for War Hammers for the obvious CF, but that will depend on the party I think, same with FoA.

So with that I would be able to backstab with either Longswords or Quarterstaff and would have a ranged weapon for when I need to Shadow step out and hit from range.

I'm envisioning the character as one that can kind jump in and out of direct combat, hitting both from range and up close. I'll use Blem for fast attacks up close. I'm envisioning a guy that can kind of be all over the map. Backstab, get some hits in, Shadowstep and take down someone else, then run over and backstab someone else, etc. Someone who should be able to hop around the deal with problematic attackers and help out party members that are in trouble, etc.

have I missed anything? Is there some grand flaw in this plan? This will probably be the "work" I've ever put into creating a char, so if I've overlooked something I'd rather know, and I've beaten the whole game so I'm not worried about spoilers.

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited October 2017
    Yes, I can confirm that a 15 charisma is fine for dualing from thief to fighter. There isn't a big flaw in your plans and it sounds like you'll have a lot of fun with this character.

Other great choices are a half-orc fighter/thief with 19 strength and a half-elf fighter/mage/thief.
    Post edited by jsaving on
  • OUT51D3ROUT51D3R Member Posts: 20
    My favorite character so far has been a Shadowdancer 13/Fighter. Ran it solo through BG1, SOD, and BG2(didn't push through ToB though). It's a powerful and fun build. You will be micro-managing it more than you would most pcs, but I enjoy being more mechanically involved with my main character.

One thing that I'll mention here is that alot of enemies that people say can't be backstabbed actually can be. The requirements are: You are hidden or invisible, you are behind the target, and the target isn't backstab immune. Your target being unable to see you is -NOT- one of the requirements for backstab. So, you can turn invis and backstab targets that see through invis, as long as you are behind them. Notably many demons can see invis, but aren't actually backstab immune. Drizzt is another of those enemies that can see invis but can be backstabbed, which may be useful to you since you like scimitars.