Skip to content

Axes as a viable ranged weapon choice?

I've been re-thinking my planned figher/mage build for BGEE (even perhaps playing as a half-elf, see: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6648/thinking-about-choosing-a-half-elf-instread-of-an-elf-fightermage ) and was wondering whether axes would be a viable ranged weapon choice to take me through to BG2?

I know there's only a couple of magic throwing axes in BG1 (a +2 one in Candlekeep Dungeons and Bala's Axe in Durlag's Tower, which can be used both for melee and ranged), which means lugging around the heavy non-magical ones for much of the game and having to restock often (though I think shop supplies are pretty much unlimited - is that true), but axes have a few things going for them:

1) they're one of the few ranged weapons (other than some magic hammers in BG2, I think, and one sling) which add strength to damage, so good for fighters with high Str

2) they're one handed, so can use a shield with them

3) some of the magic throwing ones in BG2 pretty good (e.g. Azuredge, which is +4 vs. undead, though you have to be Good to use this, and the +2 Hanguards axe and +3 Rifthome Axe, though I can't remember how easy these are to get early on), as are some of the melee ones (e.g. Frostreaver, Axe of the Unyielding).

4) Don't require buying magic ammo (though I know the same could be said for one shortbow and one crossbow in BG2, but my main archer will be using the best of these), and +3 magic arrows aren't available until ToB

I guess if going for these, would make sense to also go for two-weapon fighting in the long-run, rather than two-handed, though the off-hand abilities of axes are not amzing, though would probably go for Belm (+! APR) or that sword (a Katana?) that gives bonus spells in the off-hand

There's a +1 melee axe avilable early on in Beregost, though the +2 one isn't available until you get into Baldur's Gate itself.

Was thinking that could start in BG1 with :

Axes ++
Two-weapon fighting ++

Then:

Level 3-7
Scimitar ++ (picking up the +2 one on Durlag's Tower late game)
[Or perhaps an extra pick in two-weapon fighting first]

So would start BG2 with both these "ready", would mean missing out one quarter staves early on, though, but I guess these would be my next picks (or maybe Katanas for the one that gives bonus spells)

What do you reckon, are axes worth it over bows for my fighter/mage in the long-run?

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I've never found there to be enough viable melee axes to consider it as a primary weapon choice, but throwing axes are definitely a viable ranged choice.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I guess axes only really make sense if running a non-evil party, though, as Kagain (the standard evil tank) probably ought to get the best axes in BG1 and the Azuredge throwing axe in BG2 can only be used by good-aligned characters. Its a shame, as I'm rather bored of playing with good-aligned parties...
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm not a number-crunching powergamer, so you can't get a 'strategy x or y grants you most dmg/round', but as long as you have a good-aligned character with strength in the high 18-tens, both for the damage bonus and especially for carrying non-magic throwing axes around for the most part of BG1 and for Azuredge in BG2, it's a very viable choice of weapons.

I've never played a half-elf with axes as a primary weapon of choice, but as long as you get your elf high strength, I don't see a disadvantage over axe-wielding dwarves other than missing out on that single point of sword&bow to hit bonus. But BG is not only about points, it's about how you want to RP your character.

Just one thing that's less attractive about axes, is that they're very attractive at the end of BG2, when you can find a returning magic throwing axe and not have to carry tons of axes no more and the beginning of SOA, when you feel awed you can dual-wield +3 weapons and have a weapon that has a chance of one-shotting undead, but are not that special in early BG1 and late BG2. It has a wow-factor only in a certain time-frame.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    This is very metagamey of me and all, but what's to stop you having a Good aligned character, yet.... Play them the way you want? It's not like Charname can leave the party at low reputation.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    To your question I would answer: "yes", especially for the Kensaï and maybe other classes who can't use other ranged weapons. My only concern with throwing weapons is their low range. But, it should be fine if your character is in the front line. The rate of fire is not too good but hopefully your Strength and your Fighter/skill ApR bonuses should well enough compensate.

Also, be careful because I know you can't dual-wield a throwing weapon (even in melee mode) in BG. I don't know if there's a fix in BG:EE. The only exception to that are Melf's Meteor projectiles.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Pantalion said:

This is very metagamey of me and all, but what's to stop you having a Good aligned character, yet.... Play them the way you want? It's not like Charname can leave the party at low reputation.

True, though you still wouldn't be able to use Azuredge

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Pantalion said:

Now THAT would be a funny thing to watch.

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

Pantalion said:

True, though you still wouldn't be able to use Azuredge

You mis-understood.

Have a Lawful Good character but play them as evil whatever. Mechanically you are good and can therefore use good aligned weapons whilst still acting all evil and such.

Harking back to the topic. I think it would be viable but a bit of a pain until you got a returning axe. However I find it highly unethical to play a non-dwarven axe user. Shame on you for even considering it...