Skip to content

Interview with Oster at PC Gamer praising the fans for their excellent translations.

Trent Oster gives an interview at:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/16/baldurs-gate-contains-close-to-a-million-words-of-dialog-and-how-fan-translations-helped-the-enhanced-edition/

Excerpt from the interview, which will be posted in its entirety next week:

PC Gamer: I’m curious to know if, going through all those source files, you know just how much writing is in Baldur’s Gate. It must be tens of thousands of lines.

Trent Oster: I’m not sure the exact number of lines, but if I remember correctly, I think there’s close to a million words of dialog.

PCG: Wow, a million? I ask because the other day the Dishonored guys were talking about the number of dialog lines in their game. I thought it was an interesting statistic, because we don’t always think of it in that sense—that these are novel sized or bigger works.

TO: Yeah, the most hilarious example I can think of is when we [BioWare] signed Neverwinter with the Atari guys. So they sent us their localization form and it had three boxes on the form, and it said: “Number of words of dialog: Less than 100; 100 to 1,000; 1,000-plus.”

I made a fourth box on there, checked it off, and wrote “1.2 million words.” I sent the e-mail back to them, and got a call the next morning from the translator saying, “You’re kidding, right?”

And I’m like, “No, I’m dead serious. There’s 1.2 million words of dialog in Neverwinter Nights.”

And they’re like, “Oh my God, oh my God.”

And they hung up on me and I didn’t hear from them for a week. Apparently they had a big meltdown in their localization department as they realized the volume of what they committed to.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    They should have sent back a message saying "Swords not words!"
    It's interesting that he says that getting fans who know the ins and outs of a game results in a better quality translation than getting it professionally done.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November 2012
    I'd like to think text/dialogue translation (as opposed to voice work) is a typical example of something that fans can do very well compared to professionals. When it comes to personal nuances of dialogue, I wouldn't be surprised if the fan translation could come out ahead quality-wise. The better you know a character and the general setting, the more accurate you're likely to make his lines come out in the language you translate to.

A professional translator who'd played the BG trilogy 20 times might be even better still of course, but something tells me those are rare.

Of course, this is my stance on most aspects of modding. Imo some of the current mod content for the trilogy is so solid it's quality-wise inseparable from official/professional content. I know there are purists who are likely to disagree, but I also got the impression many of them didn't try mods out in the first place.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I'm just amazed at the amount of dialogue in the game when counted by words,and at the huge amount of work the fans have put into translating the game.
    Amazing!
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Haha, 1000+. What did they expect? A shooter?
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    The EE could be a bigger hit than expected, with all of the language support.
    Out of curiosity, I searched for the total word count for all the Harry Potter books combined.
    Found a link here:
    http://nicolehumphrey.net/word-count-for-famous-novels/

Combined, total word count is 1.084,625....
    That means that the amount of dialogue in BG is tantamount to the amount in all the Harry Potter books combined!!
    That surprises me big time...
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Less than 100 words was an option? Lol
    I remember writing longer homework in highschool.

Haha, 1000+. What did they expect? A shooter?

I don't know, even shooters these days can have a lot of lines to translate.
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    Most "FPS games" today have a campain that they might as well have removed movement and made them rail-shooters with quicktime events tho :-)
    (ok so there are some execptions out there, but they are few and far between, unfortunatly)

edited November 2012
    It would be interesting to have a comparison between bg and ps:t for lines of dialogue
    edited November 2012
    ajwz said:

It would be interesting to have a comparison between bg and ps:t for lines of dialogue

According to the interview with the creator of Planescape Torment Chris Avellone, the estimated word count is 800,000.:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art39332.asp

Less than both BG1 and BG2.
    I would have thought it would contain more words, but there you are...

EDIT: These estimates is including the expansion packs which of course increases the amount of words immensely.
    Post edited by Bytebrain on
    edited November 2012
    Actually, my word count:
    Vanilla BG1: less than half million
    PST: more than 850k
    ToB: 1.2M
    Post edited by Avenger_teambg on
    edited November 2012

Actually, my word count:
    Vanilla BG1: less than half million
    BGEE: 600k
    PST: more than 850k
    ToB: 1.2M

Well, the interview with Trent mentions close to a million words in BG:EE, but that includes the expansion pack and new content of course.
    according to the interview with Chris Avellone, the estimate for PS:T is 800k.
    Not saying you're wrong, as he is saying it's an estimate after all, not an actual number.

EDIT:
    Oops. Just now noticing that you're a member of the development team.. You must know better than most...
    I'm just going by what I read in the interviews.. :-)
    edited November 2012
    Err. Lets just forget what i said about BGEE :D
    Otherwise, my 'estimates' are correct, because they are not estimates.
    I simply used a tool called 'word count', a linux command.

Err. Lets just forget what i said about BGEE :D
    Otherwise, my 'estimates' are correct, because they are not estimates.
    I simply used a tool called 'word count', a linux command.

Lol. Alrighty.
    Thank you for the info!
    I find it mindbogling the amount of text in these games..