Skip to content

Portrait dimensions for BG:EE

So it's that time of year again where I go about making a big catalogue of portraits for all the BG NPCs, but I'm wondering on the dimension sizes for the portraits for BG:EE. I remember the old format was 38 by 60 for smaller portraits and 110 by 170 for the larger ones. But I am wondering if the dimensions will be different for BG:EE. Any developer imput would be appreciated.

Generally it was a resolution issue, I used to play my BG2 on the second highest supported resolution at the time. And the portraits looked fantastic, but many of them would not imput back into a non resolution modded BG1.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• NecroscopeNecroscope Member Posts: 38
    Wait. Three sizes? What's the medium for. Generally it's small for on screen gameplay on the right hand side, and large for the character personal information tab.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    The medium portrait is used for the Record screen. Large is for the BG2 epilogues.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    edited November 2012
    What is the small used for? If that's for the portraits on the right, rendering it pixel to pixel on iPad will make it so tiny its nearly invisible. Height wise it will occupy 5.4% of the screen space. I'd expect at least double that, which would still leave 34% (-borders) for buttons.
  • NecroscopeNecroscope Member Posts: 38
    I always turned the item power icons off, cause I like the pictures. But thankyou Jalily, now I can make my new portraits.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Jalily said:

These are the new sizes:

Large: 210x330
    Medium: 169x266
    Small: 54x84

Aren't those pretty damn small for how good the resolution will be for BG:EE? Huh.

Thanks for the info.
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Just preloaded BGEE and its manual states that BGEE uses 38x60 and 110x170 sized custom portraits... I hope this is just an error in the manual.
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    Those are the old sizes.
    If you got those from the manual, then the manual is wrong and it needs edited before release.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    It is in the manual...
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    Manual has "old" dimentions. I was told by people pretty sure of themselves that they had been changed to Large: 210x330 Medium: 169x266 Small: 54x84 I have already converted all my custom portraits to the new sizes.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The manual's numbers are indeed not up to date. That section was written before the dimensions were finalized, unfortunately.
    Aosaw said:

The manual's numbers are indeed not up to date. That section was written before the dimensions were finalized, unfortunately.

...Its kinda important...
    Which is why it's since been clarified ( @Jalily's post earlier in this thread has the correct dimensions).

Updating the manual may be a task that's not an immediate priority, although if I can make it happen, I'll see what I can do.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Since we all apparently have to come back for an additional 500 MB download anyway, there probably will be a readme file that lists any corrections and updates to the original manual (this was done for the original BGs as well).
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Since we all apparently have to come back for an additional 500 MB download anyway, there probably will be a readme file that lists any corrections and updates to the original manual (this was done for the original BGs as well).

If not an updated manual, I hope at least there'll be errata like this, also a list of what's been changed/fixed in BGEE

• anOriginalCloneanOriginalClone Member Posts: 4
    Do the portraits still need to be .bmp? If so what bit level?
  • JarwyJarwy Member Posts: 4
    If someone made portraits for EE, it would be awesome if you could share them.

@anOriginalClone Icewind Dale 2 is a newer game and does not require the old 8-bit colour for smaller portrait, so I would think EE does not limit you in that regard either.
    L 210x330 24bit bmp, 200 p/i
    M 169x266 24bit bmp, 200 p/i
    S 54x84 24bit bmp, 200 p/i
    I also have my whole collection converted soo far. Will be posting at some point. Right now Im shut down cause my video card died. Goingto be picking up a gtx 680 soon.
  • FentonFenton Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012
    Sweet time to convert some WKC, EQ and other characters of my from games into portraits!
  • anOriginalCloneanOriginalClone Member Posts: 4
    Oh good, I was having troubles making my portraits 8 bit, I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    I have a question regarding npc portrait's.

It use to work that you could name a portrait in the portrait folder for an npc and they would use it instead of their default.

Will this still work in EE, and if so how are the npc portraits named?
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Any word on custom portraits in multiplayer games?
    Probably the same as its always been, you send the portrait to the people your playing with so they can place it in their folder.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    The portraits folder has been moved to the Documents. But yeah... you can just send and drop them in.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    The game ought to do that automatically, one thinks.
    @Cuv

Would you explain what you mean by the portrait folder being moved to Documents, are you saying it doesn't go into the games folder but in our documents folder instead, and if so, what do you name the folder?

Also, I have a lot of random crap in my documents library.
    In your Documents folder, there will be a new directory called "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition", inside of which will be contained all your saved games, exported characters, and custom portraits. Create a folder called "Portraits" in that directory and put the portraits in there, and you'll be good to go.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Sharn

When you install BGEE you will get a new folder named "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" there. Then you just need to create a "portraits" folder and put your custom images in there.
    @Tanthalas I think you and I should decide ahead of time who's going to answer what questions. I think that's the third time today we've ninja'd each other. ;)