Skip to content

Little Disappointed - Ideas For EE

Hello all, I am an avid NWN / NWN2 modder who has a strong passion for those games and the power they give players to construct sprawling worlds and universes.

I was absolutely ecstatic to hear that this game might be given an overhaul from Beamdog. As I understand Trent is one of the original developers and they have full access to the source code.

I was sorely disappointed. Reading just off the original article:

• Improved Display: Your portrait, combat bar, inventory, and other UI elements adjust in size based on your chosen resolution including 1080p and 4k.
  • Advanced Graphics Options: Pixel shaders and post-processing effects make for crisper, cleaner visuals. Enable contrast, vibrance, and depth of field options as preferred.
  • Community Endorsed: Original developers have teamed with key members of the Neverwinter Nights community to curate important fan-requested improvements to support players, storytellers, and modders.
  • Backwards Compatibility: Works with save games, modules, and mods from the original Neverwinter Nights. A galaxy of community created content awaits.

Going point by point.
  • Improved Display / Advanced Graphics Options are well and good but I was really hoping for something more.. exciting. The video really just looked like vanilla NWN1.
  • Community Endorsed was confusing for me. Are you working with NeverwinterVault in some capacity? What does this mean? Do you mean the developers behind NWNX / Client Extender?
  • Backward Compatibility is very important, this is good to hear. :s

All that said, I feel this was a huge missed opportunity. NWN has such a storied history with you guys, having many Bioware alumni in your company. This could of been your chance to break open the code, add more hooks into NW-Script, Work on internal premium modules or even bring back the premium module platform that was largely abandoned by Atari. Really make the game shine graphically, extend out the poly limits and phenotypes, Add normal mapping to the game ect..

You could even offer expansion packs with high quality assets / models, or server hosting services that were streamlined for running the server client in some way.. (Maybe this would work better for NWN2)

I would be overjoyed if this game sold like hot cakes and injected more players into our community. I am really worried this won't be enough just talking to other modders.

Comments

• Savant1974Savant1974 Member Posts: 303
    I came here to say the same thing, a little disappointing to look at the screenshots and not see any real difference (a little brighter maybe?).
  • dinindinin Member Posts: 11
    Extra content such as additional henchmen, new classes, items, side quest would have been nice too.
    If I don't care about the multiplayer or the graphical tuning, then there is no reason to buy.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    We'll have to wait for them to first get the graphical + UI developments down. I was hoping for new classes and improvements to the prestige classes or even a new prestige class.

Enhancing the game is all well and good, but a good selling point would have been to see some extra things within the game. Weapons? A new expansion would be excellent. Of course, this is all an afterthought right now. The game's main focus needs to be completed and released first.
  • PromilusPromilus Member Posts: 23
    I'd say I am disappointed as well. Why exactly? Well there're few things I'd like to point out.
    1. NWN creators were (as you pointed out during twich view) experimenting with vendor extensions of OpenGL standard. One such functionality already implemented (but disabled by default) was gl_ati_pn_triangles which basically is ATI Truform extension to OpenGL. Please keep in mind that it had it's own issues in plenty of games but was flawed attempt to implement n-patches. DX11/OpenGL4+ tessellation is much better, much faster. Many in-game models should be quite compatible. Why not implement it in place of Truform? This way you'd be able to use better character/object textures with more details and nice, curvy surfaces.
    2. shaders - I believe I played a long time ago with nwshader 0.3 which was unofficial graphic mod introducing additional shaders. It was kind of similar to enbseries and so on for other games. Author tried to create more universal "shader inject" framework called VooDoo Shader but progress has stopped as he didn't find anyone helping him out. Maybe it would be good to contact him anyway? I mean implementing new Fullscreen shaders and material shaders might improve graphics quality greatly. DoF is just not enough.
    3. crafting and enhancing system in NWN is basically non-existent. Temple of Elemental Evil was much closer to PnP (at least cost of gold and experience plus requirements of the caster). I believe implementing better crafting would benefit EE greatly.
    4. Initiatives like NWNCQ ... why not talk with authors and include improvements from those in EE? Same with CEP and PRCpack?
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    You can tell that vet NWN modders are being involved in development from the patch notes. Check out this gem:

"Ensure that the module’s desired HAK and TLK files are loaded before we attempt to start character
    creation within a multiplayer module (allows servers to specify their own set of additional base classes, races, et cetera)"
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Didn't the first Witcher game use the Aurora engine? And it looked completely different.

NWN: EE with The Witcher 1 level graphics would be quite enough to replay until end of time.
  • Sylvius_the_MadSylvius_the_Mad Member Posts: 23

Didn't the first Witcher game use the Aurora engine?

So did KotOR. And DAO.
  • AKMattAKMatt Member Posts: 8
    I can’t imagine being disappointed with the offerings already advertised under the Community Endorsed header. By far, the greatest experience offered by the original NWN was the PW multiplayer model, which hasn’t really been replicated by any game since. The developers have extended invitation to PW creators to tell them exactly how best to improve the product to support their needs as content creators. That is the best possible sign for the direction Beamdog is taking with this enhanced edition.

I doubt they will be able to implement (or even should implement) every recommendation that will be made, but selecting a focused set of these proposed features will make for a far richer platform.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    DAO used Eclipse engine no?
  • devSindevSin Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2017
    Promilus said:

DX11/OpenGL4+ tessellation is much better, much faster. Many in-game models should be quite compatible. Why not implement it in place of Truform? This way you'd be able to use better character/object textures with more details and nice, curvy surfaces.

Tessellation would be a tricky proposition (if even possible) for the Mac build, especially if they stick with OpenGL (not to mention bumping the requirements from 3.x to 4.x would "price" out some older PCs). I also don't think there's enough texture data for it to be all that useful.
    Promilus said:

I mean implementing new Fullscreen shaders and material shaders might improve graphics quality greatly. DoF is just not enough.

The shaders are supposedly fully open to modification, so anybody should be able to do what they want, including create new ones.

Hopefully they can investigate simple SSAO solutions, though my guess is that the world geometry is so limited it may just hurt more than it helps. Modern AA techniques as well.

So did KotOR. And DAO.

Jade Empire too.
  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2017
    The stream also was a little disappointing. Many good questions were avoided in favor of "will there be pvp" or "will the game have a dungeon maker"

Someone asked a great question "Will you support a downloader for haks". I think Trent totally misunderstood the question. He was talking about how Haks are optional and we need to think a long time before doing something so complex.

The question was about auto downloading for Persistent Worlds. A feature NWN2 has had since launch, where it runs a checksum of what haks you have and what you need then feeds you an autodownload from a web URL (The Haks are packed into a lzmba compression).

In fact a lot of the features that were "Maybe" or "No" are already fully featured in NWN2.

As a player who plays both NWN1 and NWN2 almost weekly. I don't know what 19 dollars buys me. There is no question a ton of work went into the EE's but I guess - I expected development to be focused more on content we really need.. As Well As to see more explanation / ground work laid for the future.

(The features already added were definitely good - I just expected more)

I want to give you guys my money. So sell me something please. Not Premium Modules I already own as "DLC". That was brutal.. (Also you mentioned Infinite Dungeons twice.. and didn't mention Kingmaker / Pirates of Sword Coast)
  • Sylvius_the_MadSylvius_the_Mad Member Posts: 23

DAO used Eclipse engine no?

Eclipse was an update of Aurora. Same guts.
  • kTraviokTravio Member Posts: 1
    Trinital said:

I want to give you guys my money. So sell me something please. Not Premium Modules I already own as "DLC". That was brutal.. (Also you mentioned Infinite Dungeons twice.. and didn't mention Kingmaker / Pirates of Sword Coast)

Kingmaker is part of the base version; Pirates is the one he meant instead of saying ID twice.
  • nlyhnlyh Member Posts: 18
    NWN2 did not have the auto downloader from launch, it was added in a much later patch after work with a community member (Grinning Fool I think?).

Before that we had to rely more on manual downloads, PWC files and also that World Gate tool.

Having an actual autodownloader like NWN2 would be a big asset.
  • nlyhnlyh Member Posts: 18
    I'm pretty enthusiastic about the NWN EE project, as I was not really anticipating a deep delve overhaul or rebuild of the game, but rather a light modernisation to make it easily accessible to modern users with some fixes etc

The real hope would be that Beamdog focus more of their effort and resources on a brand new modern game, that brings PW capability. Preferably Forgotten Realms.
  • NelaKNelaK Member Posts: 7
    I've been playing NWN since the original launch day - No other game has held my attention the same way. Not even close! They get my $20 simply for bringing attention to a game I love.

As far as my hopes/expectations - this better just be the start. I don't care about the single player campaigns or the premium modules (I've yet to play through any of them). Support the community, persistent worlds, custom content and so forth and I'll be happy.

One concern I have though is the current 'feature' list might leave a lot of current players wondering why they're paying $20 for a game and content they already have. All the back end fixes are amazing but they aren't likely to excite a lot of people into paying for NWN:EE. That could end up hurting a lot of servers or making major servers reluctant to switch which would end up splitting the community and that would be a terrible thing. If someone from Beamdog is listening - maybe consider offering a discount for existing NWN owners, or reach out to the owners of various servers and offer bulk buy deals or something where if a community can bring X number of sales, they can all get a discount.
  • BaratanBaratan Member Posts: 10
    I am excited and look forward to a scaling UI, bug fixes and additional scripting commands. If you want better models and textures in the game just make them. That's something that could always be done by anyone who wanted to.
  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    Baratan said:

I am excited and look forward to a scaling UI, bug fixes and additional scripting commands. If you want better models and textures in the game just make them. That's something that could always be done by anyone who wanted to.

To be fair, NWN1 has some pretty strict limitations on how far you can push the pipeline. It's nothing close to what NWN2 can attain.

That's something you would probably need from the developers working on the source code.
  • JohnnyOnslaughtJohnnyOnslaught Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017
    nlyh said:

I'm pretty enthusiastic about the NWN EE project, as I was not really anticipating a deep delve overhaul or rebuild of the game, but rather a light modernisation to make it easily accessible to modern users with some fixes etc

The real hope would be that Beamdog focus more of their effort and resources on a brand new modern game, that brings PW capability. Preferably Forgotten Realms.

Considering how hard the licensing is for D&D franchises I'd be happy with a Pathfinder game.

Realistically, as far as EE, my hopes aren't that they'll add a ton of flashy features. I'd rather see them open up the engine in ways that'll allow the community to better implement those features.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Baratan said:

Texture and models are the top cut of building - few people really can say that is up to this task.

Building is like putting several pieces together. To create a new piece is an entirely different challenge.
  • BaratanBaratan Member Posts: 10
    Raduziel said:

Baratan said:

Texture and models are the top cut of building - few people really can say that is up to this task.

Building is like putting several pieces together. To create a new piece is an entirely different challenge.
    It is challenging, but it doesn't require access like the developer has to accomplish. It's not something the community has wanted and been unable to do. No one has wanted it to happen enough to do it. It isn't a necessarily hard-coded limitation.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    @Promilus you raise a few valid points, that I'd like to adress.
    Promilus said:

1. NWN creators were (as you pointed out during twich view) experimenting with vendor extensions of OpenGL standard.

Unfortunately, this wasn't always done right in original NWN. This was the source of shiny water crash on ATI, and invisible cloaks/robes on NVIDIA. The game was simply doing things incorrectly, and the drivers were trying to correct it. Eventually the drivers stopped having custom hacks for an old game, and problems came.

The pipeline used now should be using the core profile, so we shouldn't be seeing vendor specific issues (unless bugs in the actual drivers or HW). Many kudos to Jason for this change. The change is not visible in old content, because they were fully emulating the FFP, but as soon as you sit down and play with new content, things get much more interesting.
    Promilus said:

DX11/OpenGL4+ tessellation is much better, much faster.

Agreed, and while this might have some drawbacks, adding it into the pipeline (if supported) would be wonderful. A nice part of functionality can be done with what they call material shaders, which is just a per-texture VS/FS, but not everything. I really want tessellation support for grass. Guess we'll just have to make enough noise.
    Promilus said:

3. shaders - I believe I played a long time ago with nwshader 0.3 which was unofficial graphic mod introducing additional shaders. It was kind of similar to enbseries and so on for other games. Author tried to create more universal "shader inject" framework called VooDoo Shader but progress has stopped as he didn't find anyone helping him out. Maybe it would be good to contact him anyway? I mean implementing new Fullscreen shaders and material shaders might improve graphics quality greatly. DoF is just not enough.

Sean has moved on to the Wine project, not sure how interested he would be. NWN:EE now supports most things that you could do in NWShader. Notable exception is scriptable shader parameters, but I believe that is something that's being considered.

The FBO fragment shaders they demoed are just a small tech demo. I wish they'd picked something nicer. But doing something like this is pretty easy now: https://i.imgur.com/fVqtX7m.mp4

I have high hopes for the future improvements as well. If you're interested in messing around with these features, there's a bit of documentation in a readme file, or you can just send me a PM.
  • PromilusPromilus Member Posts: 23
    @Sherincall I believe the technique is called cel-shading and makes scene "cartoon like". I encountered it in few games already with same mechanism (i.e. using opengl.dll in game folder to take over pipeline and implement some post processing, what it can't easily do is to gain geometry information - this one needs complete renderer rewrite to be effective). Nevertheless things like geometry instancing, global illumination, post processing shader based AA and so on might both improve visual quality and game performance. Tessellation appeared around OpenGL 3.2 (AMD DX10-like tesselation of HD2k-HD4k I believe it was since 3.0 as vendor specific extension but shouldn't be used at all) and was steadily made as core functionality in later versions. But as I have pointed out making use of most new features requires updating render engine which isn't exactly easy thing (but with source code available isn't all that hard either for a company). If there were individuals who could've make new render engine for Quake 3 (XreaL), Quake 1 (darkplaces) etc. I just can't believe a small company can't rewrite one for NWN as well. Or maybe I'm wrong...
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    @Promilus But they (specifically Jason) _did_ rewrite the rendering engine. You just don't see it in the demos because they are rendering the old content in a compatibility-friendly way. New content can have a lot more eye candy.

That video does pretty much exactly what you explained, in old 1.69 NWN. So, you needed custom OGL code to run on the client to redirect rendering to an FBO, then apply shaders to the FBO. Now, you just pack your shaders in a .hak file and you're good to go.

And now you do have geometry info, and control over the vertex shader. You can implement custom scaling, or you could force the game to be 2D. It doesn't currently use a geometry shader, but hopefully that will come in a future build.

I feel they demoed the wrong things. The under-the-hood changes are MASSIVE, they just haven't been used yet.
  • britishjbritishj Member Posts: 44
    I'm disappointed seeing small new additions for the enhanced addition being put up as dlc such as the few additional portraits they mentioned in the stream are now up on the steam store as dlc. It really seemed like this was just a small addition to the game the way they made it out on the stream.

My biggest problem with this is this is supposed to be an enhanced addition of the game with additional features but a new feature as small as this is set aside as dlc instead of being within the enhanced addition of the game that so far has very little visible changes to it.

The portrait pack is on steam now:
    Neverwinter Nights: Heroes of Neverwinter
  • _amano_amano Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017
    Being a very retro person I would have preferred seeing Fallout 1 and 2 (either being developed as a separate engine just like NWN or even ported to Infinity). But I guess NWN would have been my next wish ;)

To link this game more with the Infinity Engine games, I already posted the following wish (unrealistic, I know) in the "feature proposals/requests" thread:

I'd like a "Retro-View" option with a "camera" angle (and camera distance) that resembles that of BG:EE (and the other infinity engine games). Perhaps even switching to a "stoney" BG:EE like interface/icon bar in that mode.

I know that this request is very gimmickey but I would die for that ;)
  • MarquisInSpadesMarquisInSpades Member Posts: 2
    Raduziel said:

2) 3.5 ruleset (3.0 is so lame that had a short life)

In the stream they said that they won't do that due to the fact that it would break most of the stuff the community made.
  • deserkdeserk Member Posts: 35
    As much as I very much look forward to this product (NWN1 & 2 are my utmost favourite games), I feel the graphics have got to be improved significantly which can be done without causing incompatibility issues, i.e through improving textures, models. This is one major issue I've had with other Beamdog EE projects, the fact that the graphical enhancements are extremely miniscule compared the state of the original releases. This is after all what the very least modders have already done for NWN for ages now; a game developer company being paid to enhance this game should at the very least be able to do so. Looking past +10 year old 3D graphics is more difficult than looking past the pixelated art style of the BG/IWD games.