Skip to content

NWN Players having tech issues

Hi,

I am a longtime player of NWN in the persistent world of Neversummer 4 which requires no hak or download and runs off of vanilla NWN (with expansions). I saw the news release today regarding the NWN: EE, which led me to the forums here as I tried to find out more details of this new release. In browsing the forums, I saw that many people were excited about this release because they had run into technical issues which prevented them from playing the game and that all their hopes were resting on this new edition.

I am here to share that 99% of you should be able to overcome your problems with the existing NWN with a little bit of google research. I expect that NWN:EE will add/restore quite a bit of features to the existing NWN game, but it does not appear to be a complete overhaul, and therefore, may not fix many of the common problems that I am reading about. Here is a quick list of topics:

Invisible models/players/animations/cutscenes/general graphics issues.
Solution: Update your graphics card drivers! If it is already updated to the most recent version, try downgrading the driver to a previous version. (Personally, I have about 6 different graphics drivers installed on my system, and I actually switch between a couple of them regularly in order to avoid problems or improve performance, based on the game I am trying to play.) NWN:EE will probably NOT solve your graphics driver issues. I play on an Asus laptop with a Geforce 750M @ 1920x1080 with no problems and great performance (I can even record full HD video while playing).

Multiplayer lobby room/server list unavailable
Solution: Visit http://www.nwnlist.com/ and click on NWN1 at the top. This is a comprehensive, real-time list of NWN1 servers that are online... with their direct connect address.

Please note that the existing versions of NWN multiplayer no longer support the original Bioware "Master Server" and so the multiplayer username/password has limited functionality. Specifically, the Username is the login account that will be used on the server that you are connecting to, while the password is completely UNUSED. I believe you can simply type one or two characters just to meet the NWN game Engine requirements to enable the "Connect" button to be active. YOU DO NOT NEED TO "CREATE" AN ACCOUNT. You do not need to "register" anywhere. You just put in an account name and a minimal password and you can now play. BE AWARE, because there is no account user/pass verification, any security for your characters on a multiplayer server must be implemented on the server side. For example, on NS4 where I play, by default, each character is automatically locked and bound to the CD KEY used to create that character. That means that no one else (unless they use your CD KEY) can access your characters on the multiplayer server. Also, it IS possible to unlock your own characters on a one by one basis, and relock them... if you want to share characters with a friend.

I wish Beamdog the best of luck with this release and hope that it can breathe new life into the multiplayer community which has continued to persist.

Feel free to contact me here on these forums, or on the Neversummer forums (http://www.nsrealm.com) or in-game on the Neversummer 4 server. I am glad to help troubleshoot and offer build advice. NS4 is a persistent world PvE & PvP server with great factional/class balance, tons of custom scripting, and an active Dev/DM presence. If you are looking to get back into NWN with the new EE version, I suggest checking it out. Knowing what I know about the NS4, it's probably worth buying the EE version to easily get back into the game and join in our multiplayer adventures!

Comments

• CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    I have trouble with random changes of lighting and trasparent menu/interface
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I'll wait and see what people who have actually played the EE have to say about the graphics updates rather than take speculation at face value. One of the points mentioned in the faq and yesterday's articles is that graphics are being updated.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Bargeld said:

Invisible models/players/animations/cutscenes/general graphics issues.
    Solution: Update your graphics card drivers! If it is already updated to the most recent version, try downgrading the driver to a previous version. (Personally, I have about 6 different graphics drivers installed on my system, and I actually switch between a couple of them regularly in order to avoid problems or improve performance, based on the game I am trying to play.) NWN:EE will probably NOT solve your graphics driver issues. I play on an Asus laptop with a Geforce 750M @ 1920x1080 with no problems and great performance (I can even record full HD video while playing).

This bug was caused by original NWN incorrectly using an old OGL extension. The usage would be then corrected in the driver. But the driver does not do regression testing on this correcting part, so it slowly drifted away. It might be fixed in a future version, but the bug is nominally in 1.69. It could be fixed with NWNCX.

NWN:EE uses a different method for rendering these bone based parts (one that you can override if you want!), so the bug should not be present there.