Skip to content

Request - HAK/2DA/TLK Editing Tools

Request Description:
The current Neverwinter Vault has a number of tools for editing 2das, tlk files, etc. Can these be worked on in an official capacity and bundled with the game so developers have everything they need to easily work on the game?

Additionally, something like Lilac Soul's Script Generator would be awesome to add.

Thank you.

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,287
    The current tools are here:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/nwn-university-document-help-pdf-reference-guide-tutorial-xls-collection

No real need to build new tools in EE as long as the old ones still work.
  • NearEtherealNearEthereal Member Posts: 13
    That's true from a standpoint of us as existing long time players. However, what if we're assuming that there are new buyers who want to fully get into developing. Wouldn't it be better for them to have everything they needed in one package? Or at the very least, maybe something in the release to tell them where to go to get everything they need?
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    @Proleric, I used NWNexplorer to look at base_d2a.bif and instead of properly named 2da files, they are named resXXX.2da. Do you think that's how NWNexplorer is reading them and needs to be updated? Or is the game somehow associating those 2da files with the properly named ones? Because at the moment, it is a headache to map these new names to the old ones.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,287
    edited November 2017
    @Grymlorde I see the same thing. However, if I try to open the classic NWN bif files with the NWN Explorer Open button, I see resxxx.2da files again. So I guess NWN Explorer contains code to generate the drop down palette from classic NWN with the 2da names we know and love. IIRC niv said something about needing a new version of NWN Explorer for EE, maybe that's the reason.

Since my custom module works so far, clearly the 2da names haven't changed, only the way they are stored in bifs.