Skip to content

Server hosting suggestion!

So I don't know if it would be at all possible, I've been skimming through some things about how NAT isn't a thing for it yet, but had a few questions as well as some ideas about it- though someone with more knowledge about this stuff can definitely chime in/correct if I get things wrong.

First to explain my situation- I can host and people log in just fine, but I'm not 100% visible in terms of the listing- at least I wasn't until I changed my hosts file to work directly with NwNList (and yes, I host through NwNX). My question is-
  • Would hosting be made easier to do eventually for the average user?
  • Do we currently still have to jump through hoops for server listing visibility, like in my situation?
  • Any plans to increase the player cap? (Not that I think that it needs it, but I can see that question coming up in the future)
As for my idea, Terraria does this thing with Steam Integration that allows you to join a friend without having to throw in any IP address info and cuts out (iirc) the need to port forward/trigger- If there's some way to integrate a server listing of sorts to Steam, that could potentially expose a lot more people to NwN's multiplayer experience. However, I could also understand if that would be too much for poor ol' NwN to handle especially with this being an announcement and things are still aboard the hype train (road map, official launch date, etc). Mainly I'm just hoping to see a more populated server list.

Also thank you Trent, and those working on the project, for getting some of my friends excited- hopefully enough to return to NwN.

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    If the new master server works like the old one (and I hope it does), it'll show up on the multiplayer list automatically when your server goes up. I'm assuming that the Buddy List will work again as well, so that will make it easier to join up with friends wherever they are playing.
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    * Server visibility: They show up in multiplayer when you start them, no hoops there needed. All that IS needed is the port forward (for now).
    * Player cap: Was considered, and would be simple to do, but 96 is a nice number already. If you actually run into this limit, come complain!
    * Buddy lists don't exist anymore. They were a feature of the GameSpy UI and functionality; and same as the chatrooms, it was removed.
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2017
    niv said:

* Server visibility: They show up in multiplayer when you start them, no hoops there needed. All that IS needed is the port forward (for now).
    * Player cap: Was considered, and would be simple to do, but 96 is a nice number already. If you actually run into this limit, come complain!
    * Buddy lists don't exist anymore. They were a feature of the GameSpy UI and functionality; and same as the chatrooms, it was removed.

I think that's going to be my problem, Niv. I'll try to document this as best as possible (for more of a trail, just in case) in what I'm currently using.

My router's a Sagemcom F@ST 4320. I have access to NAT Virtual Servers (people say it's the same, but I feel it's not) and Port Triggering, however not -exactly- Port Forwarding. On both NwNList and yourserverlist, I wasn't listed. It wasn't until I changed my hosts's file to what this guide reflects here is when NWNList could see me, but yourserverlist could not. Ports also gave information varying from closed to open:filtered- which I know is due to the firewall- however the firewall of the router to my knowledge isn't really configurable. Not much of a setting based on what I have.

Now I don't mind jumping through hoops- I guess more or less what I'm asking is that if we're not listed and people can still Direct Connect to the server, how do we go about fixing that until NAT's supported?

Edit: I might be seriously dumb, but I added my IP to yourserverlist and now it's 'found'. I'm still wondering though about those of us using NAT routers without 'official port forwarding'. From what I gather it's the same, but again- I really want to be thorough because when it's released I want to see the game blow up with people hosting their own content again, as well as trying to help people potentially fix issues until things are more updated and squared away.

Also, thank you oodles Niv. You're a beast when it comes to on the fly replies!
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    niv said:

Aw. I hope the Buddy List gets restored for the final release.
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    Updating this topic since I'm hosting in the Head Start; For those having difficulty with similar routers such as myself- be sure to port trigger port 5121 as well as setting up your NAT ports.