Now that NWN:EE is about to be released, lot's of us are of course getting our hopes up for a Neverwinter Nights 2
: Enhanced Edition.
This thread shall serve the purpose of giving you guys at Beamdog some ideas of what we'd like to see if a project like that ever came to fruition.
First of all, here are some things that I feel absolutely must be included in such a release:
- Higher Resoltutions with appropriately adjusted interface (duh)
- Less cluttered and also more customisable interface (free scalable text size!)
- Reduced (or if possible completely removed) loading times
- STABLE MULTIPLAYER
(even with mods and tools, multiplayer is broken to the point of unplayability at this date)
- Better controls
- Fixed bugs, duh :P
Things that I think would be nice if included and believe are in the realm of possibility to be included
- Custom character portrait support, including adding illustrated portraits for characters for companions that don't yet have portraits (for minor/temporary companions and summons, portraits from NWN1 could easily be reused). Basically: Replace the ugly 3D character model portraits.
- Better facial textures and hair. Also more options for those in general.
- Some visual enhancements on armor and similar gear.
- More hats.
- Similar to what some MMORPGs have, allow the option to use visuals from other gear, so that a character's looks can be preserved when equipping gear with better stats.
Things that would be nice if included but I wouldn't be suprised about if they couldn't be, due to contract and/or budget/time restraints:
- Reworking certain aspects of the Original Campaign
-- Restore Neeshka's and Bishop's romances, including proper love triangles with Elanee and Casavir respectively
-- Give Casavir (and maybe also Elanee and Grobnar) more in-depth personality.
-- Rework the last part of the story to make the King of Shadows more interesting and threatening.
-- More interactions between the Kalach-Cha and their companions. Doesn't have to be of any consequence, some extra banter would be nice already.
-- Maybe some additional side quests here and there, where it's appropriate.
-- Rework the ending to something more satisfying than "Rocks fall, everyone dies" :P (But without compromising the story of MotB in the process.
- MotB btw can and should stay mostly untouched. At most give Ammon Jerro a more prominent role, if it serves the story. Also add some additional dialogues that addess the Neeshka and Bishop's romance, should those be re-included in the OC.
If indeed my ludicrous dream of a reworked OC would come true, it would probably make sense to include both the vanilla OC and the enhanced OC in the game. Since NWN2 is module based, I don't believe that would be an issue to incorporate. That way purists have no good reason to complain and everyone else can play a better version of the OC ;P
If NWN2:EE should indeed at some point happen, I am assuming that chances are Beamdog would get to make an additional campaign for it. I personally don't feel too hot about the idea, since NWN2's engine is really lackluster, but on the flipside it would mean we would get some more D&D 3.5 goodness, so here are some ideas and wishes for that:
- Same main character as in the OC and MotB
- Show what happened to the companions who's fates where not revealed at the end that whole story line.
- More Sand. I love Sand. Give us Sand.
- Move the setting to somewhere the FR based games have not really been before. So away from the Sword Coast :P I wouldn't mind some plane-hopping either.
- Story > combat/dungeon crawling
- If any romancable companions should make a return, have there be dialogues adressing if the player decided to romance Safiya or Gann in MotB.
- Cameos and/or allussions from/to the other D&D based PC games. Kinda like how you linked BG and IWD's stories with Siege of Dragonspear and how previously IWD and PS:T where linked through Ravel. Doesn't have to be anything huge, just a little something. Here are some more concrete ideas of what could be done:
-- Being able to discover Xan's grave/corpse (since - if I remember correctly - all Greycloaks died before NWN2 takes place).
-- Meeting a citizen of Suldanesselar or Saradush, who can tell the player about how the city is being rebuild or something.
-- Have one of the companions/NPCs from the other games either make a brief cameo or even let them become a (temporary) companion
-- In reference to Muder in Baldur's Gate and Legends of Baldur's Gate: Show what happened to Minsc. It is never made clear if the statue actually was
Minsc or if Delina actually gave the statue itself life. Or show Coran taking his first steps in becoming a politician.
Well, those are all the thoughts I am currently having, feel free to add your own.
Also, I don't wanna see any arguments about unrealistic demands here. This is meant to be a constructive thread :P