Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been announced! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to pre-order, apply for the Head Start and check for details. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Planning a human Fighter/Cleric run.

Hi! i think i'm going to make a new BG run with a Thor Odinson-like character who is a human fighter/cleric. My question is, how many Fighter levels should i give him before switching to Cleric? and how many points in Hammer and Swords?

«1

Comments

  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 331
    For BG1 I would suggest dualing at 7, purely because you'll and up being a straight cleric the rest of the game otherwise. If you wanna play a gimped character for a time, you could wait longer and finish the game as a regular cleric, and then come out some time in early BG2 or possibly SoD by going at level nine or higher.

    The next decision you need to make is hammers,flails, or maces. Hammers or flails are the most popular. You won't be able to use swords as a cleric, so any pips put into swords would be a waste. Also, as a cleric, DO NOT put any pips into your chosen weapon until you regain your fighter levels or you'll be wasting pips. So your best bet is usually to focus on hammers or flails, and 2 weapon fighting if you have any points left over, and then fill out your cleric levels with Sling + whatever melee you didn't pick of the 3 good ones, then finish up once you regain your fighter levels' use.


  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 1,829
    1: Clerics can't use swords, and can't kit naturally after dual classing into the Helm class that summons swords. As such, any points in non-blunt weapons is wasted.

    2: THAC0 and saves do NOT stack, so Cleric THAC0 and saves will replace everything else from your dual except APR, HP, and proficiency pips.

    3: Dual classing slows down HLA gain until your new class has 3e6 Exp. If you have 1e6 Exp in Fighter (level 12) you'll still get as many cleric HLAs by cap (aka: All of them), but you'll have to wait until 4e6 total Exp to get your first HLA.

    There are several power points for still getting level 39 cleric.
    Level 7 (3/2 APR), Cost: 64e3 Exp.
    Level 9 (all 9 Fighter hit dice with Fighter Con bonuses and +1 proficiency pip), Cost 250e3 Exp.
    12 (+1 proficiency pip). Cost: 1e6 Exp.

    Level 9 is most efficient overall, and by 700e3 total Exp you'll have your cleric online again, which is extremely doable by early BG2, and if you feel like powergaming you can dual, keep your cleric level at 1, then level when you have 450k Exp to be able to put all your pips into your now recovered Fighter proficiencies and have them stack.

    4: There is one more power point for Fighter: Level 13. This gets 2 APR and costs 1.25e6 Exp, and takes another 1.35e6 Exp to earn the dual, making it a long term investment for 1/2 an APR.

    9-> Dual: Grand Mastery, 6 THAC0, 4 APR while dual wielding with gloves of Expertise. Dual activates in early chapter 2. Has all HLAs by 5e6 Exp or so.
    13 -> Dual: Grand Mastery, 6 THAC0, 4 1/2 APR while dual wielding with gloves of Expertise. Dual activates in chapter 4 or so. Has all HLAs by 6.25e6 or so.

    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 182
    Fighter/cleric dual is weaker than fighter/cleric multi in BG1 (especially if you go with a 19 strength half-orc) and in BG2 (because you can't choose fighter HLAs). Gallenger is completely correct about level 7 being the best place to dual because you'll get a permanent +1/2 attack per round.

  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 1,829
    Fighter/Cleric multiclass are potent. Mainly because it can be a Dwarf, for constitution saving throw bonuses (clerics can easily hit 25 Strength half-orc or no), but can't Grand Master weapons, so their natural APR is going to be the same as a level 9 dual - 4 APR when dualling with gauntlets, and their THAC0 2 better after Mastery. Hardiness + Armour of Faith + Defender of Easthaven + Helm of the Rock + Shield of Reflection is pretty darn fabulous in terms of tanking everything ever.

    On the downside, they deal 3 damage less per hit, their caster level won't cap out until 5.4e6 (long after the dual), they'll have four fewer level 7 spell slots/day by cap (and reach their first level 7 spells at 2.7e6, almost the SoA cap), and their dispel magic caster level will be pretty lame, even compared to mages.

    One final advantage for the dual is that they can be a Berserker, losing nothing of value and gaining a lot of great immunities while 'zerking.

    Overall I'd agree that the multi wins out, but more importantly, Cleric/Ranger is even better and could be calling down lightning Thor style with the fix disabled.

    ThacoBell
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 423
    My latest run through BG1&2 (original not EE) was with a Kensai/Cleric dual-wielding hammers. Hammeriad I called that adventure.

    You can dual-class at level 13 and you should be able to regain cleric fighter abilities by the end of SoA.

    After that, with the cleric levels you can even turn liches.

    One thing to note about Kensai/Cleric. It is an awesome display of destruction, especially when you use Crom Faeyr and Runehammer +5. But Kensai/Cleric and AC do not even belong in the same sentence. Is going to have low AC, but it is also best to concentrate on having good Con as well. Use the tome from BG1 and later on the machine of Lum the mad to get your Con as high as possible.

  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 1,955
    edited November 24
    Redrake said:

    My latest run through BG1&2 (original not EE) was with a Kensai/Cleric dual-wielding hammers. Hammeriad I called that adventure.

    You can dual-class at level 13 and you should be able to regain cleric fighter abilities by the end of SoA.

    After that, with the cleric levels you can even turn liches.

    One thing to note about Kensai/Cleric. It is an awesome display of destruction, especially when you use Crom Faeyr and Runehammer +5. But Kensai/Cleric and AC do not even belong in the same sentence. Is going to have low AC, but it is also best to concentrate on having good Con as well. Use the tome from BG1 and later on the machine of Lum the mad to get your Con as high as possible.

    Where i can find Crom Faeyr and the Runehammer? Also should i start with Fighter or Cleric?

  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 1,955
    Pantalion said:

    1: Clerics can't use swords, and can't kit naturally after dual classing into the Helm class that summons swords. As such, any points in non-blunt weapons is wasted.

    2: THAC0 and saves do NOT stack, so Cleric THAC0 and saves will replace everything else from your dual except APR, HP, and proficiency pips.

    3: Dual classing slows down HLA gain until your new class has 3e6 Exp. If you have 1e6 Exp in Fighter (level 12) you'll still get as many cleric HLAs by cap (aka: All of them), but you'll have to wait until 4e6 total Exp to get your first HLA.

    There are several power points for still getting level 39 cleric.
    Level 7 (3/2 APR), Cost: 64e3 Exp.
    Level 9 (all 9 Fighter hit dice with Fighter Con bonuses and +1 proficiency pip), Cost 250e3 Exp.
    12 (+1 proficiency pip). Cost: 1e6 Exp.

    Level 9 is most efficient overall, and by 700e3 total Exp you'll have your cleric online again, which is extremely doable by early BG2, and if you feel like powergaming you can dual, keep your cleric level at 1, then level when you have 450k Exp to be able to put all your pips into your now recovered Fighter proficiencies and have them stack.

    4: There is one more power point for Fighter: Level 13. This gets 2 APR and costs 1.25e6 Exp, and takes another 1.35e6 Exp to earn the dual, making it a long term investment for 1/2 an APR.

    9-> Dual: Grand Mastery, 6 THAC0, 4 APR while dual wielding with gloves of Expertise. Dual activates in early chapter 2. Has all HLAs by 5e6 Exp or so.
    13 -> Dual: Grand Mastery, 6 THAC0, 4 1/2 APR while dual wielding with gloves of Expertise. Dual activates in chapter 4 or so. Has all HLAs by 6.25e6 or so.

    Thanks but what does HLA mean?

  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 1,829
    HLA means High Level Ability, which you start getting when your characters are over 3,000,000 Exp (for Dual classes, not including their inactive class, while multiclasses add their experience in each class together).

    Clerics can get eight HLAs, which all add special level 7 spells to their spell lists known as Quest spells, and can be prepared as with any other spell. So if the Cleric selected "Call Angel" HLA they could cast that as many times as they had level 7 spell slots.

    Mages can also only get 8 HLAs, but three of them are additional spell slots rather than spells, and their spells are level 9.

    Thief and Fighter HLAs on the other hand, are "innate" abilities usable once a day, but most of them can be acquired multiple times to let them be used more times per rest. An example is Whirlwind Attack, which gives them 10 attacks per round for one round.

    This is one area where multiclass characters have an advantage, since Mages and Clerics both have a bunch of dead levels above 3e6 Exp (levels where they gain basically no benefit), while multiclass characters have two classes worth of Exp to get HLAs with, and can get the HLAs of either class, unlike pure or dual class characters that only get the one.

    So the pure cleric gets all 8 HLAs by 5e6 exp, give or take, while the Fighter/Cleric gets 10 HLAs by 5e6 Exp, and gets another 12 HLAs, giving them easily all the cleric HLAs and 14 fighter HLAs (or skip some cleric HLAs for more fighter HLAs). Even a pure fighter only gets 21 HLAs, so the Cleric/Fighter multiclass can have more Fighter HLAs than actual fighters do, with cleric spells that are pretty comparable in strength to Fighter HLAs already.

  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,179
    edited November 24
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Crom Faeyr is one of those 'find all the bits and get them forged' items and you have to go quite a long way through SoA to find all the bits.
    Runehammer is found in ToB.
    HLA: High Level Ability - class-specific special abilities that are gained when levelling up at, wait for it.......high levels (can't remember at which levels HLAs start but it's somewhere in the high twenties - again it will be late SoA/ToB)

    (Edited to correct memory deficiencies)

    Post edited by dunbar on
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 1,829
    dunbar said:

    (can't remember at which levels HLAs start but it's somewhere in the high twenties - again it will be late SoA/ToB)

    Levels, pure / if multiclass / if triple multiclass (F/M/T or F/M/C:

    Fighter: 20 / 14 / 12
    Paladin/Ranger/Mage: 18 / 13 / X
    Thief/Bard: 24 / 17 / 15
    Monk/Cleric: 22 / 15 / 13
    Druid: 15 / 14 / X

    dunbar
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,179
    Thanks @Pantalion my memory really is getting..........um..........you know..........oh what's that word?

    Pantalion
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 1,829
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 423

    Redrake said:

    My latest run through BG1&2 (original not EE) was with a Kensai/Cleric dual-wielding hammers. Hammeriad I called that adventure.

    You can dual-class at level 13 and you should be able to regain cleric fighter abilities by the end of SoA.

    After that, with the cleric levels you can even turn liches.

    One thing to note about Kensai/Cleric. It is an awesome display of destruction, especially when you use Crom Faeyr and Runehammer +5. But Kensai/Cleric and AC do not even belong in the same sentence. Is going to have low AC, but it is also best to concentrate on having good Con as well. Use the tome from BG1 and later on the machine of Lum the mad to get your Con as high as possible.

    Where i can find Crom Faeyr and the Runehammer? Also should i start with Fighter or Cleric?
    Yes, you start as Kensai and you level up as one up until level 13. After that you dual-class to a Cleric.

    Crom Faeyr you build after you exit the Underdark. And Runehammer +4 you get after you kill Yaga Shura. It can be further upgraded after you find Rune of Clangeddin near Sendai Enclave.

    However, one thing worthy of note is the spells that empowers your character are desirable. Aid, Bless or DUtHM (even though with 25 Str from Crom Faeyr it makes the strength bonus redundant) are best to be used constantly.

  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 230
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Do not start as kensai. Kensai is indeed strong, but since it seems you are new to the game, the fact that kensai cant wear armor might be a problem for you.

    The ultimate cheese class for dual classing is the berserk, but even pure class fighter will do. I would also recommend to dual at level 7, as the later you dual the less of the actual game you will spend playing the classs you want.

  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 1,955
    Arizael said:

    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Do not start as kensai. Kensai is indeed strong, but since it seems you are new to the game, the fact that kensai cant wear armor might be a problem for you.

    The ultimate cheese class for dual classing is the berserk, but even pure class fighter will do. I would also recommend to dual at level 7, as the later you dual the less of the actual game you will spend playing the classs you want.

    Actually, i have been here since the week this forum started back in 2012. I haven't played the BG Trilogy for quite a while and my memory is rusty.

  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 423
    Arizael said:

    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    The ultimate cheese class for dual classing is the berserk, but even pure class fighter will do. I would also recommend to dual at level 7, as the later you dual the less of the actual game you will spend playing the classs you want.

    That's not true. In my run through BG1&2 (keep in mind, not EE, so no additional experience from SoD or added quests), I had my Kensai run in a whole 6 characters party for the whole BG1+TotSC (minus Werewolves Island, which I hate). In then imported him in BG2 SoA (again 6 characters party) and reached level 13, at some point before starting the quests for Shadow Thieves so I can get to Spellhold. At that point there was still left to do Watcher's Keep, Windspear Hills and the last 2 quests in fighter stronghold.

    I regained my fighter levels during the escape from Spellhold (after the battle with Irenicus). And Watcher's Keep was still untouched.

    All you would get for dualling at level 7 would be a minor tank, with no grandmastery in any weapon and just for the purpose of using a kensai/cleric in BG1 as well.





  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 1,955
    Redrake said:

    Arizael said:

    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    The ultimate cheese class for dual classing is the berserk, but even pure class fighter will do. I would also recommend to dual at level 7, as the later you dual the less of the actual game you will spend playing the classs you want.

    That's not true. In my run through BG1&2 (keep in mind, not EE, so no additional experience from SoD or added quests), I had my Kensai run in a whole 6 characters party for the whole BG1+TotSC (minus Werewolves Island, which I hate). In then imported him in BG2 SoA (again 6 characters party) and reached level 13, at some point before starting the quests for Shadow Thieves so I can get to Spellhold. At that point there was still left to do Watcher's Keep, Windspear Hills and the last 2 quests in fighter stronghold.

    I regained my fighter levels during the escape from Spellhold (after the battle with Irenicus). And Watcher's Keep was still untouched.

    All you would get for dualling at level 7 would be a minor tank, with no grandmastery in any weapon and just for the purpose of using a kensai/cleric in BG1 as well.





    How about dualling at level 10?

  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 1,829
    edited November 27

    How about dualling at level 10?

    In comparison to level 9 you are paying 250,000 Exp for: 3 1 HP.

    Edit: Yeah, the difference is actually only 1 HP, because you'd get 2 HP for level 10 Cleric otherwise.

  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 1,955
    Pantalion said:

    How about dualling at level 10?

    In comparison to level 9 you are paying 250,000 Exp for: 3 1 HP.

    Edit: Yeah, the difference is actually only 1 HP, because you'd get 2 HP for level 10 Cleric otherwise.
    Is a level 9 Fighter still a good tank?

  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 423
    edited November 28
    It is. Level 9 grants you maximum (5) proficiency points into a weapon. Level 13 grants you an extra 1/2 attack/round. Level 13 is preferred usually because your tank is going to be even more awesome, especially if you dual-wield (because you get an additional +1 proficiency point at level 12).

    Just to give you the math, let's say you want to create a character dual-class kensai-cleric who dual-wields hammers.

    At level 1 a fighter gets 4 proficiency points. This means 2 in hammers, 2 in dual-wield. At level 3, you have 3 proficiency points in hammers, at level 6, you have 4, at level 9 you have 5. You can dual now, or wait until level 12 to add one proficiency point to have 3 in dual-wielding. Yes, you can dual-class at level 12 but that's just one level away from one extra 1/2 attack/round.

    That's the reason why players usually wait for level 13. I guess, is more about what you want. If you want to dual-wield, best wait until level 13, if not you can dual at level 9.

  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 1,829

    Pantalion said:

    How about dualling at level 10?

    In comparison to level 9 you are paying 250,000 Exp for: 3 1 HP.

    Edit: Yeah, the difference is actually only 1 HP, because you'd get 2 HP for level 10 Cleric otherwise.
    Is a level 9 Fighter still a good tank?
    The facts are these:

    1: Con bonuses only apply on single digits, and only Fighters get enhanced constitution bonuses.

    2: Constitution bonuses for Fighters are +5 at 19 con, +7 at 25 con. Constitution bonuses for Clerics are +2 above 16 Con.

    2: After level 9, constitution bonus doesn't apply, and the class gains either 3 (Warrior) 2 (Cleric/Thief) or 1 (Mage) HP per level, so if you have a Constitution bonus, the absolute majority of your HP is likely to come from those first 9 levels.

    3: Dual classing doesn't overlap, so you'll only gain HP again when your dual activates.

    So with 19 "tomed" Con:

    A 7 -> 39 dual gets:
    Fighter 1-7: 10 + 6D10 (33) + 7 levels of Con (35): 78
    Cleric 8-9: 2D8 (9) +2 levels of Con (4): 91
    Cleric 10-39: +60 = 151 HP average (187 Max)
    DUHM gives them 25 Con, netting them an extra +14 HP while active.

    A 9 -> 39 gets:
    Fighter 1-9: 10 + 8D10 (44) + 9 levels of Con (45): 99
    Cleric 10-39: +60 = 159 HP average (195 Max)
    DUHM gives them 25 Con, netting them an extra +18 HP while active.

    A 13 -> 38 gets:
    Fighter 1-9: 10 + 8D10 (44) + 9 levels of Con (45): 99
    Fighter 10-13: +12 HP = 111
    Cleric 14-38: +50 = 161 HP average (197 Max)
    DUHM gives them 25 Con, netting them an extra +18 HP while active.

    A 12 -> 39 gets:
    Fighter 1-9: 10 + 8D10 (44) + 9 levels of Con (45): 99
    Fighter 10-12: +9 HP = 108
    Cleric 13-39: +54 = 162 HP average (198 Max)
    DUHM gives them 25 Con, netting them an extra +18 HP while active.

    And, for comparison, a Cleric 40 gets 124 average HP, 152 Max HP.

    You are spending:

    7->39 = 64k Exp and 1 max Cleric level for: 1/2 APR +27 Average HP, Specialisation (you can still get G.Mastery with a level 7 dual eventually unless they fixed it), +3 proficiency pips, +14 DUHM HP.

    9->39 = 186k Exp for: +8 Average HP, +1 Proficiency pip, +4 DUHM HP.

    12->39 = 750k Exp for: +3 Average HP, +1 Proficiency pip.

    13->38 = 250k Exp, -1 Average HP, and 1 max Cleric level for: +1/2 APR.

    If you're being a Kensai then you can also add in +2 to hit/damage to the 7, +1 to the 9, and +1 to the 12, and for the (vastly superior) Berserker: +1 Enrage use/day to the 7, 9, and 12.


    Finally, low level Kensai are meh.

    Kensai 13 with the Pale Green Ioun Stone: 3 APR, +4 Damage/ +5 to Hit, 8 AC. 4 APR while dual wielding.

    Berserker 13 with Helm of Balduran, gauntlets of extraordinary specialisation and basic Ankheg Plate: 7/2 APR, +2 Damage +2 Hit, 0 AC. 9/2 APR while dual wielding (aka 3.5-4.5 APR), crit immunity.

    That Berserker 13 while raging: 7/2-9/2 APR, +4 Damage, +4 Hit, -2 AC, berserker immunities, crit immunity.

    Kensai: +1 to hit in exchange for 10 AC, 1/2 APR, no immunities, no crit immunity.

  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 1,955
    edited November 28
    Redrake said:

    It is. Level 9 grants you maximum (5) proficiency points into a weapon. Level 13 grants you an extra 1/2 attack/round. Level 13 is preferred usually because your tank is going to be even more awesome, especially if you dual-wield (because you get an additional +1 proficiency point at level 12).

    Just to give you the math, let's say you want to create a character dual-class kensai-cleric who dual-wields hammers.

    At level 1 a fighter gets 4 proficiency points. This means 2 in hammers, 2 in dual-wield. At level 3, you have 3 proficiency points in hammers, at level 6, you have 4, at level 9 you have 5. You can dual now, or wait until level 12 to add one proficiency point to have 3 in dual-wielding. Yes, you can dual-class at level 12 but that's just one level away from one extra 1/2 attack/round.

    That's the reason why players usually wait for level 13. I guess, is more about what you want. If you want to dual-wield, best wait until level 13, if not you can dual at level 9.

    Redrake said:

    It is. Level 9 grants you maximum (5) proficiency points into a weapon. Level 13 grants you an extra 1/2 attack/round. Level 13 is preferred usually because your tank is going to be even more awesome, especially if you dual-wield (because you get an additional +1 proficiency point at level 12).

    Just to give you the math, let's say you want to create a character dual-class kensai-cleric who dual-wields hammers.

    At level 1 a fighter gets 4 proficiency points. This means 2 in hammers, 2 in dual-wield. At level 3, you have 3 proficiency points in hammers, at level 6, you have 4, at level 9 you have 5. You can dual now, or wait until level 12 to add one proficiency point to have 3 in dual-wielding. Yes, you can dual-class at level 12 but that's just one level away from one extra 1/2 attack/round.

    That's the reason why players usually wait for level 13. I guess, is more about what you want. If you want to dual-wield, best wait until level 13, if not you can dual at level 9.

    i was planning on a weapon & shield style or single weapon style.


    But if dual weilding is the way to go, so be it.



  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 1,829

    Redrake said:

    It is. Level 9 grants you maximum (5) proficiency points into a weapon. Level 13 grants you an extra 1/2 attack/round. Level 13 is preferred usually because your tank is going to be even more awesome, especially if you dual-wield (because you get an additional +1 proficiency point at level 12).

    Just to give you the math, let's say you want to create a character dual-class kensai-cleric who dual-wields hammers.

    At level 1 a fighter gets 4 proficiency points. This means 2 in hammers, 2 in dual-wield. At level 3, you have 3 proficiency points in hammers, at level 6, you have 4, at level 9 you have 5. You can dual now, or wait until level 12 to add one proficiency point to have 3 in dual-wielding. Yes, you can dual-class at level 12 but that's just one level away from one extra 1/2 attack/round.

    That's the reason why players usually wait for level 13. I guess, is more about what you want. If you want to dual-wield, best wait until level 13, if not you can dual at level 9.

    Redrake said:

    It is. Level 9 grants you maximum (5) proficiency points into a weapon. Level 13 grants you an extra 1/2 attack/round. Level 13 is preferred usually because your tank is going to be even more awesome, especially if you dual-wield (because you get an additional +1 proficiency point at level 12).

    Just to give you the math, let's say you want to create a character dual-class kensai-cleric who dual-wields hammers.

    At level 1 a fighter gets 4 proficiency points. This means 2 in hammers, 2 in dual-wield. At level 3, you have 3 proficiency points in hammers, at level 6, you have 4, at level 9 you have 5. You can dual now, or wait until level 12 to add one proficiency point to have 3 in dual-wielding. Yes, you can dual-class at level 12 but that's just one level away from one extra 1/2 attack/round.

    That's the reason why players usually wait for level 13. I guess, is more about what you want. If you want to dual-wield, best wait until level 13, if not you can dual at level 9.

    i was planning on a weapon & shield style or single weapon style.


    But if dual weilding is the way to go, so be it.



    For vanilla, unmodded game dual wielding is typically superior in every way, though less so than for non-clerics who have access to APR increasing weapons. Defender of Easthaven in your offhand is ultimately superior to most shields at making you tanky, and gives you a chance each round to hit the enemy for extra, "free", damage so long as you have 2 pips in TWF.

  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 423
    Well, my recommendations are based on the assumption of a unmodded game. Otherwise, I'd recommend installing a lot of XP granting mods like DSotSC, Dark Horizons, Unfinished Business for BG1 and Tower of Deception, Unfinished Business, Saerileth and TDD for BG2.

    Using TDD and alike mods, I once had a dual class ranger cleric who reached level 23 Archer/47 Cleric. Best slinger I ever had. He could drop a dragon with 2 pebbles.

  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 1,955
    Redrake said:

    Well, my recommendations are based on the assumption of a unmodded game. Otherwise, I'd recommend installing a lot of XP granting mods like DSotSC, Dark Horizons, Unfinished Business for BG1 and Tower of Deception, Unfinished Business, Saerileth and TDD for BG2.

    Using TDD and alike mods, I once had a dual class ranger cleric who reached level 23 Archer/47 Cleric. Best slinger I ever had. He could drop a dragon with 2 pebbles.

    Do i really need 17 points in wisdom to be able to dual into cleric?

  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,798
    Yes you do, and you need a minimum of 15 strength.

  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 1,955
    edited November 29
    Redrake said:

    Well, my recommendations are based on the assumption of a unmodded game. Otherwise, I'd recommend installing a lot of XP granting mods like DSotSC, Dark Horizons, Unfinished Business for BG1 and Tower of Deception, Unfinished Business, Saerileth and TDD for BG2.

    Using TDD and alike mods, I once had a dual class ranger cleric who reached level 23 Archer/47 Cleric. Best slinger I ever had. He could drop a dragon with 2 pebbles.

    Heres my character.

    Thorion, NG human Berserker.

    Str 17

    Dex 14

    Cos 16

    Int 12

    Wis 17

    Cha 14

    Warhammer **

    Two Weapon Style *

    Single Weapon Style *

    What do you think my fellow asgardians?

    Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 423
    Too high Int. Put those 2 points on Con. You could also put 1 Cha point in Dex to get -1 AC.
    As you are going to have a fighter for the beginning of the game, why not gain the full benefit of extra Con? Let alone the fact that you can get the tome and increase the Con to 19 and in BG2 you can get it to 21 (which means regeneration).
    18 Wis would be recommended for extra spells, but not necessary as you can get 3 tomes of wisdom in BG1.

    Cha is next to useless in BG1&2, because the discounts you get are negligible compared to the amount on cash you can make from unwanted loot and it can also be increased easily (in BG2 you have ring that sets it to 18).

    As for single weapon style, no. Put that proficiency point in Two Weapon Style and take the Single Weapon Style after you dual to a cleric. As a cleric you'll also get some proficiency points before you regain fighter levels, so why waste some proficiency points? You can still use a shield until you THAC0 gets high enough to compensate the -2 penalties for dual-wielding.

  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 1,955
    Redrake said:

    Too high Int. Put those 2 points on Con. You could also put 1 Cha point in Dex to get -1 AC.
    As you are going to have a fighter for the beginning of the game, why not gain the full benefit of extra Con? Let alone the fact that you can get the tome and increase the Con to 19 and in BG2 you can get it to 21 (which means regeneration).
    18 Wis would be recommended for extra spells, but not necessary as you can get 3 tomes of wisdom in BG1.

    Cha is next to useless in BG1&2, because the discounts you get are negligible compared to the amount on cash you can make from unwanted loot and it can also be increased easily (in BG2 you have ring that sets it to 18).

    As for single weapon style, no. Put that proficiency point in Two Weapon Style and take the Single Weapon Style after you dual to a cleric. As a cleric you'll also get some proficiency points before you regain fighter levels, so why waste some proficiency points? You can still use a shield until you THAC0 gets high enough to compensate the -2 penalties for dual-wielding.

    I gave him 12 int because i don't want my character to bè a dumbass.

  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 423
    You character is already a pretty wise berserker. Now you want him not to be dumb? Dumb in PnP usually means having Int below 8. Like Minsc, he's nice fellow but he can't read scrolls.

    Dragonspear
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.