Skip to content

Does NWN: EE headstart work on Linux and Wine?

I'm asking this because I am thinking about getting the EE and I think I read somewhere on the forums that it doesn't work with Linux or Wine. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hello,

both the server and game client work on Linux very well.

The toolset however does not - it's windows-only. It doesn't run very well in wine right now (to the point of being unusable).
  • RandomPersonRandomPerson Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2017
    Deleted for redundancy, missed part of the post.
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    It depends on the wine version and host OS. I've done very little testing as it's not a priority.

At this point I couldn't possibly recommend using it in wine. FWIW, it works okay-ish in Parallels/VMWare (on macOS), but native is definitely the best option if at all possible.
  • RandomPersonRandomPerson Member Posts: 5
    Alright, thank you for the quick response.
  • NotsonobleNotsonoble Member Posts: 6
    So maybe its something with EE, but I find EE native super sluggish versus Diamond Edition in wine. Any reasons why?

Ubuntu 17.10
    Kudo Laptop
    3.8 GHz i7-7700HQ (2.8 up to 3.8 GHz – 6MB Cache – 4 Cores – 8 Threads)
    Intel® HD Graphics 630
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    Will you continue with the 32b version, it seems to run now just fine but I thought the beamdog client was only 64b? I've kept my linux installs 32b forever because there's really no need to update them since every game or program I run is 32b including the original nwn which I still use daily.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    The native Linux version's still got a major flaw, and that's that it doesn't support full screen. The UI scaling also doesn't work right. I haven't tried it with wine. Depending on the window manager you use, you might be able to use it to fake full screen mode, but the edge scrolling won't work.