Skip to content

Making every NPC killable

IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118

Making every NPC killable & and letting the player know that a specific quest was screwed because of that via message will be very nice.

If my character is more powerful than Eliminster(lvl 28 mage in 2ed) there is no reason a random guy in a thief guild or Marchor Harpell to be able to slaughter my party just to prevent quest breaking or ridiculous balance issues.

What's the point of them slaughtering my party? I can't continue playing either way. (either I screw up the quest or I die) if that's the case, killing those NPC will at least feel satisfactory.
Post edited by IntoTheDarkness on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm pretty sure you can't kill Elminster anyway, simply because he has no death animation and the game crashes.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    Arkanis Gath (the thief who can kill your whole party) actually can be defeated if you use the right spells. So can almost every other seemingly invincible character in the game. So far Elhan is the only character I know of that can't seem to die. He might be killable if more than one of my characters had the Shapeshift spell, but as it is now, that other elf warps in and kills my PC whenever I get Elhan to "near death."

Use the Shapeshift spell to turn into a mind flayer and then attack anyone who can't be dealt normal damage. The mind flayer ability will set the stats lower than they're supposed to be, which can kill the person almost instantly. You can also cast Death Ward on your characters to make them immune to Arkanis Gath's sword.

I agree that the game would be much more interesting if these characters could be killed under normal circumstances. Getting XP and their items would also be nice. As it is now it is possible to kill Arkanis Gath, but if you do you only get like 5 XP and no items. He has such a great sword, it would be nice to be able to use it.
  • AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 110
    Aosaw said:

I'm pretty sure you can't kill Elminster anyway, simply because he has no death animation and the game crashes.

You'll be able to kill him in EE.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Aosaw said:

Nobody can kill Elminster. Not nobody, not nohow.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    AlexM said:

Aosaw said:

You'll be able to kill him in EE.
    Speaking of which, in BG:EE did the dev's take advantage of the ToB engine and actually make Gorion, Elminster, Drizzt, etc "non-killable" NPC's their actual class level with appropriate spells etc.?

• BaggerBagger Member Posts: 144
    Elminster is about to die!
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    elminster said:

Nobody can kill Elminster. Not nobody, not nohow.

Raistlin can :P
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Why does everyone have to be killable? I'm fairly confident that if the game was reflective of real AD&D, Elminster the level 30-something mage would *smoke* the PC whose max level by the end of BG is, say, 8th or 9th.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

Why does everyone have to be killable? I'm fairly confident that if the game was reflective of real AD&D, Elminster the level 30-something mage would *smoke* the PC whose max level by the end of BG is, say, 8th or 9th.

I agree. Make him unkillable. I want to see some badly taken down adventurers on youtube.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    edited November 2012
    It's like trying to kill Irenicus before you release the prisoners, these mages pull god spells out of their arse while we aren't allowed any ;(
    Or the numerous cut scenes we see him in. Just not when we're fighting him ~_^

NOT FAIR I SAY
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    I believe they wont make drizzt unkillable, it wont make sense because in BG2 you can tell him you kicked his ass and took his blades.