Skip to content

Changing how long to rest may seem like a good idea, but...

I noticed that a lot of modules actually use the amount of time it takes to rest as a mechanic of a module.

For instance, in the Aielund Saga modules they use the rest mechanic to advance time 8 hours. I also played the Tale of Arterra module, and the resting time made it so that there were random encounters possible.

So, before you think that changing the rest mechanic is a good idea, remember this: modules might actually break!

Comments

• Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    It's a part of the core rules made necessary by the vancian magic system, but I prefer no time advancement. I do like a food ration requirement though, as it promotes hunting, cooking fires and is just neat.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    edited November 2017

It's a part of the core rules made necessary by the vancian magic system, but I prefer no time advancement. I do like a food ration requirement though, as it promotes hunting, cooking fires and is just neat.

That's a great idea, it would be cool to have those sorts of things in the game. It reminds me of the old golden age of D&D games, like Eye of the Beholder.

I usually like time advancement because I like to have control whether it's day or night.

Edit: Gold box! I actually own them all on GOG.com
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    edited November 2017
    Yeah there are lots of different ways this is handled in different modules. Some advance time, some use a consumable item like food or bedrolls, others use some other mechanic. HoTU's final chapter use some kind of berries that were required to start a fire of varying sizes.

Keeping the control in the module builders hands is probably a good idea. I mean, you can always edit the 2da's to reduce the amount of time that slider takes (it does get excessive at higher levels).

Or do like NWN 2, where the rest was 5 in-game seconds at any level - and still allow for module builders to tweak it as they want.