Skip to content

Has the Wisdom Bug Been Fixed?

In the game manual and in AD&D 2nd Edition rules, a high Wisdom gives a bonus to Magic Defense (saving throws), however this was never properly implemented in the Baldur's Gate games. For years I would create characters with higher Wisdom thinking it would help, especially against Charm magic, before realizing it had no effect. Has this bug been fixed in the Enhanced Edition?

Similarily, "Improved Initiative" does nothing in Icewind Dale 2 and I'm hoping that gets fixed someday.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It was less of a bug and more of a misprint in the manual. I don't believe this has been changed.
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    Hmm... that is too bad. I wonder if that is something that can be modified or is "hard coded" and cannot be altered. Thanks for the response.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    Sulla said:

Hmm... that is too bad. I wonder if that is something that can be modified or is "hard coded" and cannot be altered. Thanks for the response.

I believe that it will be modifiable in BG:EE because the developers are removing the hardcoding in many of the features thus making the game much more modifiable.

The code is also being cleaned up and modernized to work smoother, faster and have much more compatibility on newer Operating Systems. You can count on it. ;)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It's already technically implementable, i.e. you can add save bonuses to characters if you feel they should have them, although you'd need to change them accordingly if the character's wisdom changed.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @AndreaColombo
    The request has been made a few times now. Do you know if any action has been taken on it at all or do you think it is more likely to be implemented in a mod?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    edited November 2012
    At launch, BG:EE will not behave differently than BG1 with regards to character stats.
    Externalizations will be considered post-ship, so hopefully the change will at least be made easy to mod in.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Makes me think the manual needs fixes too and extended information.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Abel Don't worry; a lot of that has already been taken care of. I was careful to make sure all the tables were as accurate as possible.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    @Aosaw Nice job. I can't count how many times I relied upon the manual for details.