Skip to content

LOB-mode solo playthrough

MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
I've seen that this has been done. What is the "worst" (worst stats) character anybody has gone through the entire series with (on LOB-mode)?
Just curious.

/J

And what does SCS stand for? Is it a mod?
Post edited by MrSexton on

Comments

• ArvendorArvendor Member Posts: 19
    I'm not sure about your first question but I am almost positive that people have mave managed to beat the game with minimized stats.

As for your second question, SCS is short for the mod called Sword Coast Strategems and it overhauls the AI and the way some encounters are laid out. It essentially tries to reduce the exploitability of enemies and tries to ensure that they are using all of their abilities to their best effect.

In practice it generally makes arcane spellcasters much more dangerous as they will now use all the dirty tricks and combinations that the player could use. That can mean triple skull trap spell triggers, casting timestop into wish, summoning planetars if they are powerful enough, abusing Spell-Immunity combos, etc.

It can be a lot of fun and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a challenge but do be aware that the mod assumes you are familiar with the spell system. The mod is split up into seperate components however so you can decide for yourself what you do and don't want in your game.
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    edited November 2017
    I think master @Grond0 completed bgee couple times using sorcerer with rolls 3/3/3/3/3/3
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited November 2017
    @Myrag regrettably not :'(. The stats for my sorcerer, Wimp, are 3s in everything except intelligence (where the minimum allowed in the game is 9), but I haven't actually completed BGEE - though I have got far enough to be sure it's quite possible and I expect I'll try again at some point. The attempts were designed to be tough (no-reload and using SCS as well as LoB and I was also using an additional restriction that Wimp was not allowed to buy anything - including ammunition). While I know BG1 so well that's still quite feasible, I don't feel at the moment there would be any realistic chance for me of doing SoD like that - let alone Ascension Melissan ...

If you're sufficiently patient any character could make progress with minimized stats, though without a strength bonus for missile damage that could take quite a while for some character types ;). Summons are very effective in LoB, so characters with arcane or divine abilities would be far quicker than fighter types and bounty hunter traps are also good enough for them to perform well. If you're not putting additional restrictions on then completing a quadrilogy run with a minimum stats character should be perfectly manageable.

Note that the thread referred to above is where @Harpagornis completed all the games with a solo character. That had Ascension as well as SCS though, which makes ToB considerably harder.