Skip to content

REQUEST - Mitigate TMI and Stack dumping

NWN always has this arbitrary scripting limitation on number of instructions. I get why it is in there, but can we get some tools to mitigate this?

I recall having to rely in scripting called to delayedAction() or something. I forget the details but that leads to the next request.

When putting lots of stuff in that delayed action queue, the server would at times, just decide to drop things from the queue when the queue got really big. Again, can we get some tools to mitigate this? I understand the server is trying to protect its health, but this lead to some very strange behavior on heavily loaded servers.

Honestly, I'd like to be able to configure these points. Or at least have a way to udnerstand when they are happening and deal with them.

Comments

• BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    This is already part of the new release and it is also in the patch notes. It's a setting you can make in the nwnplayer.ini now.

* Specifies the maximum number of scripting instructions available to run within a given script before the script is assumed to be in an infinite loop and terminated (was 131042 in NWN 1.69, minimum = 131042, maximum = 16777216)
    [Script Options]
    Instruction Limit=524288
  • TimendainumTimendainum Member Posts: 24
    That is excellent!
  • dwinblooddwinblood Member Posts: 38
    This is an important feature. This resolves one of the biggest banes in my existence. :)
  • TimendainumTimendainum Member Posts: 24
    I don't have enough in my mod working yet to start seeing the "stack dumps".

Dwinblood corrected me the other day, this is really a "queue dump".

This happens when you have a large DelayCommand() queue, and the server is very busy. Items in the DelayCommand() queue can be skipped, or dropped from the queue.

As I get more things working, I'll be trying to reproduce this on modern hardware with the EE server on linux. Will be interesting to see if I can even get it to do it again.