Skip to content

Looking for a new tablet

GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
I've only ever used a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, a very, very old model which I got for free along with my newspapersubscription. It's showing its age now as it's getting terribly slow, plus the screen is pretty small, around 7", which prevents me from comfortably reading my Transformers Comics on it.

So for the holidays, I'm going to ask a new one. It should be Android-based, don't even mention the i-pay-too-much-for-white-piece-of-fruit-on-my-gadget. (Seriously, don't, it's not an option. ;-))
What specs should I look for? My requirements are: a 9" or 10" screen, able to run Kindle (not an issue, I suppose), browse at comfortable speeds and if possible, run decent games, i.e. something more than Candycrush.
The budget is around € 300 - € 400.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    edited November 2017
    My son uses an HTC nexus which is a few years old now and that still runs fine can probably pick one up quite cheap. Higher end of your budget would be Nvidia shield for games and the like.
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Nvidia Shields are impossible to get, from what I gather.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited November 2017
    I myself am very content with the Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus I got. It's a lot faster than the Galaxy Tab 2 which was my first tablet, it sports Android 7.1.1 and is still getting security updates. The Android skin used is close to stock Android, it has hardly any bloatware.

An important factor for me, Lenovo scores far better than Samsung on Greenpeace's Guide to Greener Electronics.

There's a 10 inch variant, the Lenovo Tab 4 10 Plus that falls neatly into the lower end of your budget.

Indepth review on notebookcheck.net.

You might check the alatest.com site for your country for a good overview of available reviews and prices.
    Post edited by Son_of_Imoen on
    edited November 2017
    Thanks, thats most useful! Could you check the link to notebookcheck, please? It gives a 404.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    There was a recall on some shield tablets due to heating but was only a certain model.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    GawainBS said:

Thanks, thats most useful!

You're welcome.
    GawainBS said:

Could you check the link to notebookcheck, please?

Done.

Thank you very much, this will be the one!
    Son_of_Imoen