Skip to content

EE Fix Breaks a lot of modules [Fixed by latest patch]

TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
edited December 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
I have reported this as a bug.

So someone on the EE team decided to make what they thought was an inconsequential fix compared to what happened with 1.69. In 1.69 there is a widely used technique. You paint an area transition trigger (rectangular ones in out doors areas usually) but do not give it an area to transition to. Instead you put a script in the OnClicked event to handle the transition instead. In game (1.69) the transition works just fine and shows when you mouse over it even though there is no transition set in the trigger's properties. However in EE it doesn't show in game unless you've set the transition to point somewhere.

The problem is such a small change breaks a lot of modules because you can no longer transition out of areas and become stuck. In my "Hrothgar's Resting Place" v1.20 I have an area transition replacement system that makes use of an non-interactive overland map. As part of this system the PC has a 1 in 6 chance of a random encounter. Should an encounter be triggered the PC is sent to 1 of 4 generic areas for the encounter to be played out. In EE, should an encounter occur, the PC is stuck because the transition no longer shows.

Now I am still around to "fix" my module should I choose to do so but what about all the "orphaned" modules still out there that also use this technique.?

I verified this by creating copies (1 for EE and 1 for 1.69) of the module mentioned above and placed the PC entry point in one of these generic areas. Then ran each in succession. Behaviour was as above. I then edited the EE version so that the area transition in the properties pointed somewhere ridiculous and edited the script to point somewhere sensible. This made the area transition trigger work correctly.

Please fix.

TR
Post edited by TarotRedhand on

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    I saw on the bug reporting site that Witches Wake and another premium module had area transition problems. I wonder if this is the cause?

TR
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    As long as I don't have to search through my modules to fix things, no problem. I was asked to create a small module that they can use for testing when they think they've got it fixed. So I built one in 1.69. Just 2 areas - Source and Destination. Transition via a script. Tested in both 1.69 and EE. Shows the symptoms outlined above.

The person who asked for the module wasn't sure if this was the same problem as the one they have apparently solved. Hope it was. If not they should now have the information they need.

TR
  • genjigenji Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen to me in the oc as well , no transition to get to charwood.