Skip to content

Question about Sorcerers in BG:EE?

Is their primary casting stat still going to be intelligence instead of charisma? I mean, I get that at the time BG2 came out, 3rd ed hadn't been released yet, so they probably didn't know all the details of the class. So, it's perfectly believable to have their casting based on INT in that case. But 3rd ed is out now. Sorcerers have been introduced for realsies. So, are they gonna change it to Charisma and make it more accurate? I play sorcerers a lot, and it just kind of bugs me, you know? That I can make a sorcerer with a fairly low to average charisma and still have them casting like crazy. ....And that my sorcerers have to have a high INT. That bugs me too. Since their casting is more intuitive and less TIME TO STUDY AND BE SMART, that really shouldn't be a thing.

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    They don't have to have *really* high Intelligence. A level 20 sorcerer, both with 25 or 9 intelligence, will have the exactly same amount of spells.
    Changing the attribute to Charisma would do little but decide which is the lower limit of one of the two stats between INT and the above mentioned CHA. Sorcerers are basically a "No stat nonsense" kind of guy. Make it an average Bobby! XD
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited November 2012
    Sorcerer's primary stats will still be Intelligence in BGEE, but even if they changed it to Charisma it wouldn't make a difference.

The only thing Intelligence does for a Mage is increase the likelyhood of them being able to write a spell to their spellbook (n/a to Sorcerers) and determine the max amount of spells they can learn (also N/a to Sorcerers).

Unless they re-wrote the magic system to make it similar to 3E (aka, you need at least 11 CHA to cast level 1 spells, 12 CHA for level 2, etc), changing their primary stat won't do anything.
    Post edited by Tanthalas on
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    In later rulesets, a casters primary score also increases the difficulty check on their spells. Necromancy focused Pale Masters / Red Wizards are brutal in NWN and DDO.