Skip to content

question about Custom Shaders

Any info on the custom shaders?
Info on how to make new shaders? Is it possible to port the shaders from the NWshaders project?
I mainly use the black/white one and xyr/abyssal from NWshader and would very much like to use them in NWN-EE. I have also experimented with custom shaders in NWshaders to make things like intro text, end credits etc., display an image etc., which looks very cool.

Excited about NWN:EE.... :-)
/Paphjort

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    I've started some tutorials on how to do this, but it's still pretty bare:
    https://code.nwnx.io/mtijanic/shader-tutorials

This is the best documentation you'll find for now. If you need any more, PM me here, on the vault or on discord.

Unfortunately, EE does not have feature parity with NWShader yet, as the shaders are (mostly) not controllable through nwscript - yet. So you can write and experiment with your shaders, but they are not yet fully usable in modules.
  • PaphjortPaphjort Member Posts: 25
    Thx Sherincall, I'll look into that.
    Hopefully we will be able to have some control via nwscript

Cheers,
    Pap
  • PaphjortPaphjort Member Posts: 25
    @Sherincall Is anything controllable via NWscript sofar? You say (mostly)? I haven't seen anything official on plans for this?
    /Pap
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Nothing is controlled directly, but there are engine features that are visible in the shader that are controllable by nwscript.

For example, things like current time (SetWorldTime), area weather (SetWeather), wind (gust of wind VFX and similar). I played around with these for things like sun moving across the sky depending on time, cloud color based on whether it is raining, etc.

With NWNX, you can also send some extra information that you set in nwscript, but this is pretty limited.

Obviously I don't speak for BD, but I'm absolutely certain NWScript support will come in the future. The devs are well aware of the possibilities that will unlock. It is not very difficult to do, maybe a man-week, but currently there are higher priority bugs and higher impact features that can be tackled quickly.