Skip to content

Just started playing BG2 again last night (Then I found out about all of this)...In need of advice

Hello all! I am looking forward to getting to know you and become a part of this community, if at all possible. I have loved this game since I was a kid and since I was a kid my understanding of the game has continuosly evolved, though not always advanced.

I started playing BG 2 last night, and on top of some advice on making a character that I can really stick with (Dungeon Masters and D&D vets, I really could use your insights based on a light "personality profile" I'll be posting in a second. Kinda like the "ask questions to determine your class" type of games).
Since finding out that a BG1 enhanced edition is coming out in eight days, I'm wondering if I should shelf the character I got and wait, since as someone who really gets into the RP-aspects of the character, it'd be too weird to play both simultaenously. I want the char I start in the Enhanced BG1 to be the one that finishes in Throne of Bhaal.

That said, the ONLY class and race I've beaten the game on, and played multiple times, was an Elven Ranger/Stalker. Race-wise I'm pretty set on being a half-elf this time around. I like the way it fits in with Sarevok. I, like some of you, probably, create little nuanced histories in my head and conversations to fit in. If my char is a half-elf I'd like Sarevok's mother and Durango Teryn Vigil's mother to be the same. Except Bhaal was in the form of an elf, obviously.

The characters I've experimented with over the past year and especially last night was a half-elf cavalier (used the editor), chaotic good, as I feel the God of Murder blood in his veins should create a true dichotomy about the real nature of who my character really is. In spite of not wanting to kill he obviously winds up with a massive body count. Now the reason I'm not too sure on this character is I'm afraid of losing flexibility, or maybe being surpassed by the fighter/clerics fighter/mages mage/thiefs, etc. Basically, the multi-classes. I've never been much of a spell caster in ANY rpg. I'm very combat oriented. I know a lot of weapons have come out that make it so you don't need to hunt after the Holy Avenger if you want the biggest, baddest, weapon in the game anymore.

All that said, I still crave the idea of it, I've never seen a paladin in the upper-levels and while I could use the editor to level him up and test him out (and likely will) it's kinda hard to get a real feel for it in the long term. Plus it feels kinda spoilery. I'd like to be impressed with my progress instead of feeling like I'm traveling down the road to a destination I set up via an editor days or weeks before. Knowing exactly what type of char I'll have at the end. Does that seem stupid? Probably...:P

What would be the costs and benefits, after reading this and seeing how neurotic and asperger-y I am (I do have aspergers, totally just making fun of myself, not the disease), do you think any of you could help me do a pro-con and cost-benefit analysis of a few multi-classes as well as kit-classes?

So I got the Cavalier, Half-Elf, they will all be half-elven and named Durango Teryn Vigil. A Fighter/Cleric sounds very promising to me, but they can't use edged weapons, same with cleric/ranger, though the idea of using stealth mixed with being able to have the same combative powress of a fighter-cleric is certainly enticing. If I did this type of character, knowing how combat oriented I am (though my desire to use spells has basically pulled a 180, partly in thanks due to Skyrim, partly because I was really impressed with the ranger/cleric I designed last night, again, I didn't want to take him too far or make him too powerful as I would feel "spoiled" by it.)

A fighter-mage is another one, though I don't like the idea of having basically the same paper-doll and no armor for, well, ever. This character seems too spell-oriented to me but perhaps some of you kensai/mages or fighter/mages can explain to me why I would love this character, or why I would probably hate it :)

I considered doing another ranger, though Minsc almost turned me off to the idea. I LOVE Minsc but he really seems more like a fighter than a real ranger, his WIS score is so low he doesn't really benefit from much there. All that said, any rangers here care to make a case on why you think I'd dig a second playthrough, as an adult with a better understanding of character development and who is not cheating or OPing my character.

Fighter/Mage/Thief, the one I've seen many play before for the sheer power of it, though the starting is rather rough, I hear. And I'm not a big fan of the look, as is the issue with the fighter-mage. I suppose for me to want to play those classes a case will be made on why I shouldn't be so focused on obtaining armor.

Thanks so much for reading this very long and overly excited post! I REALLY appreciate your time and patience. :)

Comments

• Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    I just thought I'd say hello and welcome. I can't be of any use to you regarding your class choices and stuff because I have yet to have my first playthrough. I'm waiting for BGEE. I'm sure someone else around here will help you though! Good luck!
  • MarricMarric Member Posts: 53
    Well I think the first think you have to decide when making your character is, are you going for the most powerful character, or are you going for a specific style/story? If its the latter, just chose something you want to play, any character can beat the game (especially the unmodded game). If you are going for the former, well than we can help ;)

First a Paladin. Good class, I love 'em, especially 'cause it just feels right to play as a the knight in shining armor, killing dragons, rescue damsels, and stopping megalomaniacs. That said the most powerful paladin is the Inquisitor Kit (actually the first character I beat ToB with was an Inquisitor). When a liches buffs and protections fall to a single superpowered dispel magic special ability, many of the hardest battles in the game become near cakewalks.

Second, the Fighter/Cleric. Unless you just have to roleplay a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric, which is admittedly a lot of fun and 19 constitution is sweet, go for the Ranger/Cleric instead. Its basically a Fighter/Cleric on steroids and is able to cast both Cleric and Druids spells. And since there are only 2/3 druid spells worth getting (all at the higher levels) a ranger/cleric is usually the only way I get druid spells. Also don't worry about the blunt weapon limitation, a number of the very best weapons in BG2 are blunt, and if you've got the bonus merchants, dual wielding flails is excellent.

As for Fighter/Mages, they are super powerful, and there's just something about an Elf/Half-Elf fighter mage dual wielding longswords with bright green eleven chainmail on that's just awesome. So don't worry about them having a boring appearance, I think the fighter/mage is the coolest looking character in the game, whether rocking eleven chainmail or the awesome hooded Archmage robes, they look sweet. They're also very powerful and, in BG2, play very well as a front line fighter, with some fantastic protection buffs (Stoneskin, Mirror Image, etc.) and the occasional Fireball to lead off a big fight, 'cause who doesn't love fireballs.

Hope that helps some with your decision making. And remember, the best thing about the Baldur's Gate series, there is not wrong way to play, just easier or more challenging! ;)
  • Thanks so much guys! Great points on the fighter-mage, even as I was writing my complaint that thought came into my head yet I continued to issue it, lol :P...

The Inquisiter is something I simply didn't consider, wow, that makes a ton of sense.

As for me going for the most powerful over storyline oriented...y'know, that's a tough one. I think in the end it'd be more about which is the most fun to play combatively.

Ranger/Cleric and Inquisiter I think are the two I'm going to have to horse-around with. The fighter-mage is somewhat daunting to me. All those spells, I tend to memorize the same ones over and over again. I'm kind of hoping that going as a healer and buffer who can kick the shit out of you will help me learn to use tactical spell-play in a way that isn't embarassing.

Again, thank you (both) very much for your thoughts, and the welcome :)
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    I am going through the druid phase at the moment. Kensai/Druid or Bezerker/Druid are amasing (Personally, I prefer Bezerker/Druid).

Roleplay is the best way to go IMO if you have played the game before - that way it gives you a different expereince every time.
  • That sounds like an interesting experience. I admit I'm a bit superficial in spite of the paper-doll appearance, which I actually find very attractive against the painted backdrops, I love having some armor and a "naked" kensai isn't overly-appealing to me. I know, I know, I'm weird.

The idea of a Ranger/Cleric is sounding more and more to my liking though RPing a Chaotic Good inquisiter would be fun. I guess I should ask this, are the BG2 classes and kits going to be in BG1, is inquisitor (er/or? lol...damn spell check won't work for some reason and I'm being lazy) even in the cards?

Thanks for any and all opinions.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

I guess I should ask this, are the BG2 classes and kits going to be in BG1, is inquisitor (er/or? lol...damn spell check won't work for some reason and I'm being lazy) even in the cards?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Yes they are and yes it is. However as Inquisitor is a Paladin kit you'll need to be Lawful Good.
  • Yeah I realize that, I usually change that for character's sake in the editor. I just like having chaotic good characters, what can I say? :P

I actually started a Dwarven Ranger/Cleric (Priest of Lathander) after finding the perfect portrait for that type of character and made a ToB game. I admit, I've never finished ToB. I'm wondering if I should to get me in the mood for BG1 :P. Although jumping in at such a high level is a bit intimidating, there's a lot to learn, timing, strategy, what spells to use, etc. Almost too much, you could say, heh.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I see you haven't mentioned the BARD. They are great, especially with a kit such as the BLADE. For roleplay reasons they can be extra fun. As the description goes, they are a jack of all trades, but a master of none. They can cast any spell, use any item, yet are not over powered spell casters. They can fight, but rarely serve well as front line fighters, they can be used as support, or as offensive aided with powerful special abilities. Another nice thing about Bards is that they level up quickly, so new abilities come online in quick succession.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    @OP As an aside, if you do wish to take out the F/M or F/M/T (and have no problem using an editor), you can easily change the avatar to your preferred choice.
  • Good points. I generally use the editor to break minor rules that I honestly don't consider too important. Thankfully most people I've come into contact with to RP don't have a problem with me doing the occasional oddball character.

Does anyone here happen to know a good BG2 subrace mod? I found one awhile ago that had the drow race as well as a variety of other races (many that were featured in NWN 2), and haven't been able to find it since. Anyone happen to have this mod or know of it?

I think I'll give the blade a try, btw, Space_Hamster. I'll probably make a MP party out of the classes I'm considering and load them up with enough evened-out gear and stats I can properly test all of 'em both solo and as a party.