Skip to content

Depth Of Field Problem

britishjbritishj Member Posts: 44
edited December 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
The new depth of field option seems to only focus in on the player character leaving everything else a blur, i suggest letting things get much farther away from the player before being blurred out as right now it seems to hurt my eyes when trying to look at anything else other than my character.
IndiraLightfoot

Comments

• IndiraLightfootIndiraLightfoot Member Posts: 29
    Thank God, I'm not the only one. I thought I was just getting old there for a sec.

Yeah, it feels like I've missed some setting or so. When in a small space, like 2x3 tiles, still my character is crisp and clear, while the rest of the stuff in a radius 3-4 m from my character is all blurry.

Is this really intended?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I noticed this as well. I honestly though it was a texture resolution issue. Depth of field is cool, but it seems too strong here.
  • IndiraLightfootIndiraLightfoot Member Posts: 29
    I've played a bit more, and I decided to toggle off depth of field, and I'm much happier this way (I have every other graphics setting maxed out). Until depth of field gets a slider and/or less impactful, I'll keep it unticked.
    BelleSorciere
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    I have to leave my depth of field off too. I feel like I need glasses the whole time I'm playing with it on.
    IndiraLightfoot
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    It works fine in bigger outdoor areas, but interiors? Yeah, it's completely off. It still needs a lot of work.
    Jimbobslimbob
  • tybtyb Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2017
    Actually they've put some adjustable setting in fsFBDOF.shd

varying mediump vec2 vTcOut;

uniform sampler2D texUnit0; // Frame buffer
    uniform sampler2D texUnit1; // Depth

uniform float fLightDoF_Width = 5.0;
    uniform float DOFAmount = 1.0;
    uniform bool bLightDoF_UseCA = false;
    uniform vec2 f2LightDoF_CA = vec2(0.0, 1.0);
    uniform bool bLightDoF_AutoFocus = true;
    uniform float fLightDoF_AutoFocusSpeed = 0.1;
    uniform bool bLightDoF_UseMouseFocus = false;
    uniform vec2 f2Bokeh_AutoFocusCenter = vec2(0.5, 0.5);
    uniform float fLightDoF_ManualFocus = 0.0;

uniform float nearClip = 0.1;
    uniform float farClip = 45.0;
    uniform int screenWidth = 1920;
    uniform int screenHeight = 1200;

but for some reason it doesn't affect the shader, i hope they will fix that (i 'm sure actually)
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Those values are only used if they are not provided by the engine. Whatever is set by the engine overrides the assignments to the uniforms.

You can modify these from the game though. Type "dof_amount 0.5" in the console, or "##dof_amount 0.5" in the chat bar to reduce it. Default is 1.0.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    I am hoping from some form of control for post processing effects not just for the player but so that builders can use them (much like sky boxes) so we can enable/disable dof/vibrancy etc for when it enhances a scene rather than being a blanket effect.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    That will happen eventually, but currently only doable through various hacks. In the future, you should be able to control the uniforms through nwscript, but we have to be patient. It's not a simple thing to do right.
    Sylvus_Moonbow
  • Chris_theVikingChris_theViking Member Posts: 49
    it's worst in small areas, it is based on how far camera is from the pc. it does need some serious tweaking. I like the feature, it's just not scaling very well as you move from small to huge areas and understanding that the player will be zoomed out farther while outdoors vrs zoomed up close while indoors needs to be understood while making these tweaks.
  • tybtyb Member Posts: 4
    the real issue is that the camera is too "unbridled", in D:OS for example, the camera is restrained, that tends to make the dof manageable.