Skip to content

Soon object scaling. Woot!

IndiraLightfootIndiraLightfoot Member Posts: 29
edited December 2017 in Builders - Toolset
I just watched the latest Beamdog stream, and unless I'm sorely mistaken, they mentioned that object scaling is in the pipeline. This is a bit of a dream for area builders! Woot!

Comments

• BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    Yes, for sure. Hopefully this means no more needing 5 identical placeables for very small, small, normal, large, and extra large chests. Very nice.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    IIRC, they did mention support for just creatures at first, but it sounds like placeables may be next.

-Dave
  • IndiraLightfootIndiraLightfoot Member Posts: 29
    dafena said:

And VFX! I REALLY hope that besides "scaling, rotating and translating" they'll add "tinteable" :blush:

How sweet wouldn't that be? With what your suggesting, I can tell you there will be much more variety to the modules in the making. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    This sounds great and all but have you considered what this will mean in practice? A lot of custom content uses what would be considered tiny textures by today's standards yet still manage to look great. Now think how these same assets will look when they are scaled up by a random amount. The same applies to shrinking as well (I know because I tried it). A brick wall texture becomes just a single brick.

Just something to think about.

TR
  • ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112
    Tarot, if a brick wall texture becomes just a single brick when you scale something, you must have done something wrong. The uvw co-ordinates on a shrunken placeable stay the same so a brick wall stays a brick wall and doesn't turn into a single brick.
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    I am satisfied with the promise to keep existing custom content functional. I don't think it is reasonable to expect that they also refrain from introducing new functionality that may enable old content to be used in ways the creators did not anticipate, just like we already have prehistoric content that doesn't measure up to what designers build with today.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited December 2017
    I mentioned this in the Game Mechanics suggestion thread, but seeing how they intend to add creature scaling, I'm really hoping they add a Creature Size dropdown feature in a similar vein to the Speed dropdown when editing a creature. If I scaled a badger up to be larger than the player, I'd like it to be treated as a larger size than tiny (and they're technically supposed to be considered small, but semantics) when determining AB/AC/Knockdown checks.
  • ActionReplayActionReplay Member Posts: 7
    To be fair you can already scale creatures in 1.69 up to x2 with the Invisible Models and finding the proper model appearance to use from the Tail Section; that has always been a weird hacky process however.

If this gets added as a scripting command at first how would existing creatures that are scaled using the 1.69 feature behave to that? Say I have a fully scaled Ogre Model and I use the scripting command on that fella? Would it just scale the Invisible Model itself and keep the appearance the same?

What's good with the 1.69 scaling is you can adjust the hitboxes based on the Invisible Model you're using for your creature appearance but its not always perfect so having a way to set that directly in the toolset would be ideal even if its through a scripting command at first.