Skip to content

condescending dialogue

Started playing BG2EE and was wondering when is that annoying tone from the NPC's going to stop. Greetings like: "Get away from me, peasant! I'll not be chummied by the likes of you!" or "Bah! I'll not lower myself to deal with one who is so obviously base!" or "*sigh* Why do I always get the poor ones tugging at my pantaloons?"
Constantly being made out to be the lowest of the lowest is bloody annoying, is that ever going to end. Have reputation of 19, am lord of Nalia's Keep, Charisma is maxed and still character is treated as the most foul beggar.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its the nobles. It won't change.
  • CilicisCilicis Member Posts: 3
    They should have programmed in a few extra factors, Being lord/lady of a keep is automatic nobility. Cash check/quality of the gear they are wearing before dismissing someone as being a beggar. Knights/Paladins are always of noble blood.
    Thx for the replies
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    I consider it an incentive by the developers to help players unleash their inner Murder-God. My characters grin and bear it until i'm well into HLA levels, then the evil ones will chunk anyone who gives them cheek. Nalia's Aunt hasn't survived the siege in quite a few play-throughs haha.

Cowlies, Nobles, factional leaders, Drow, Harpers, Shadow thieves, all must fall to the Spawn of Murder!
  • CilicisCilicis Member Posts: 3
    My darkside characters will go on a total rampage don't worry >:)

Until than, no dialog mods to help keep the good guys good?
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Cilicis said:

They should have programmed in a few extra factors, Being lord/lady of a keep is automatic nobility. Cash check/quality of the gear they are wearing before dismissing someone as being a beggar. Knights/Paladins are always of noble blood.
    Thx for the replies

Probably. But it is an old game that lacked the resources and the current trend for narrative variables when these things were being decided, so you gotta forgive 'em. They did an awesome job regardless, right?

If it helps, you can always be looked down upon because you were given the keep through hard work. Yuck. Nobility is all about the bloodlines. You're just a peasant playing dress up as far as these folk are concerned.

And sure, you may not have nobility in your blood, but just wait until they hear what you do have...
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Also, they probably had to fit everything onto a particular number of CDs. That makes you trim things, said the old C/FORTRAN programmer.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    As a real, irl noble, I can tell you with authority that the only thing worse than peasants is upstart newblood thinking they are on equal terms with actual nobility.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

And sure, you may not have nobility in your blood, but just wait until they hear what you do have...

Bhaal was just a vagrant I mean, an adventurer, was he not? So what if he's been allowed to play a god for a short while :rolleyes:
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838

Cilicis said:

Thx for the replies

Probably. But it is an old game that lacked the resources and the current trend for narrative variables when these things were being decided, so you gotta forgive 'em. They did an awesome job regardless, right?

If it helps, you can always be looked down upon because you were given the keep through hard work. Yuck. Nobility is all about the bloodlines. You're just a peasant playing dress up as far as these folk are concerned.

I think this is the big thing. You're not old blood Noble.

Regarding paladins in forgotten realms, you do not necessarily need to be nobility to become a paladin. Paladins are chosen by their deity to be paladins (and then they need to accept).

I do believe you're right that recognized paladins are considered to be nobility though. But still, not "old blood".
  • erasureerasure Member Posts: 6
    I've rather liked the dialogue with nobles for this reason. Amn seems to be quite stratified as far as class so any condescension feels fitting (and of course frustrating as far as the roleplay).

Most importantly, as someone above said, it's almost as if they're goading the Bhaalspawn.