Skip to content

alignment change with. IRL age

So by now i have been playing P n P rpg and CRPG's for around 10 - 15 years now.

i have found that the alignments of most of my Toon's have changed abit with age.

when i was younger my fav. was the paladin the easy lawful good option,
later it changed to chaotic good.

and now always the grey neutral options. (I still dont like playing evil)

am i slowly turning darkside =) . or is this just a natural age progression? ^^

..so have you changed like me?..

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Evil all the way now... :-)
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Well, classes that are bound to certain alignments doesnt really count. But I know what you mean; where I used to play chaotic alignments, now i play neutral.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @etagloc, your post is confusing vis a vis your topic title. Do you want to discuss how we real people have drifted in alignment as we age irl? Or do you want to discuss how the kinds of characters we play in games have changed as we have aged irl?

On the first one, I could write several paragraphs of personal information, and then draw philosophical conclusions about human psychology and spirituality.

On the second one, I would answer with a strong "no". I always play a good hero, because that's how I fantasize myself as a super-powered individual. The thought of playing evil makes my stomach turn, gives me a headache, and turns more of my hair grey.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    When I said "evil", I meant the alignment I like to play, not me in real life, I'd like to think I'm a nicer person IRL now than as a teenager...
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited November 2012
    I used to like being Neutral Good when I was younger, but now I find I am more True Neutral. I usually have my in-game alignment reflect my own alignment. I guess when most people are young they usually see themselves as good even when they are actually not. But as people get older, we see more perspectives of good and bad, and sometimes it's just more fun to be bad. It's not really the same for Lawful or Chaotic though.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    @belgarathhmth

well its a bit of both, since i normaly try to play as myself. I even add my own name. ( but im not nearly as brave In real life ^^)

though writeing several paragraphs of personal information is a bit much on a bg forum ; ), i was going for something abit more light hearted. but its nice to see that some people keep their faith.

• GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    Think i favored the upper good side, but as time passed i seem to lean more to the dark side so to speak...
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Not really much difference, I never liked Paladins much, and my characters typically bounce between the Lawful, Chaotic, Good and Neutral varieties at random.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I always used to be pick CG... then moved on to LG for a bit... then went down to CE/NE... and now I find myself mostly picking LN, LE or TN... and on rare occasions, when I want to screw around, CN... and I do pick NG if I -have- to be good. :)

I guess I always dreamed of being the awesome good hero when I was a kid, you know Robin Hood, paladins, knight in shining armour in and all...
    But after spending too much time with the society, being way too nice for my own good, and losing the child's innocence, I just want do what has to be done now. Screw being nice and screw caring. It's all about LE and TN now. :p
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I was a goody two shoes as a kid, I suppose lawful good but I'm more jaded as an adult - maybe neutral good. I've never been religious I should add.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I don't think it's that we necessarily become less "good" as we age, but rather that we become more open to exploring other role playing paths. I think role playing neutral (on the moral axis) alignments successfully requires a level of reflexivity and awareness that comes with life experience. One must encounter good and evil before one can truly understand those concepts. Otherwise, maintaining a balance might simply amount to playing tit-for-tat on the good/evil alignment behavior scale for the less worldly.
    edited November 2012
    Mortianna said:

I don't think it's that we necessarily become less "good" as we age, but rather that we become more open to exploring other role playing paths. I think role playing neutral (on the moral axis) alignments successfully requires a level of reflexivity and awareness that comes with life experience. One must encounter good and evil before one can truly understand those concepts. Otherwise, maintaining a balance might simply amount to playing tit-for-tat on the good/evil alignment behavior scale for the less worldly.

I'm not saying we become less good as we age. I'm saying what we perceived as good when we were younger wasn't necessarily so. We just assumed we were good because we didn't know any better. I think most kids want to be good.
  • gdubbs66gdubbs66 Member Posts: 29
    Living in Palestine has made me Chaotic Good...well that depends on who you talk to...for some I am probably Chaotic evil or Chaotic Neutral. The alignment systems in the D&D systems really do not have enough depth in them to be applied to real life because of relativity/humanity being incredibly diverse. As a character I have typically played Good characters, though lately I have slipped into Neutral characters. GMing has allowed me to play evil, but I have yet to successfully play an evil character all the way through...hmm, maybe I should consider this for a BG play through :P
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Well, I've become even more Hardcore Chaotic, favoring Chaotic Good and Chaotic Neutral to Neutral Good or Lawful Good.
    @Awong124

I agree with you that most kids want to be good (or at least regarded as good), but I don't think that humans are inherently "good." Since we're products of the societies in which we're raised, I don't think there is any "natural" alignment to humans. We are taught what is "good" and "evil" (but "good" is always "us" and "evil" is always "them"). We're exposed to norms and values by our families and communities, and what is considered good/evil, right/wrong, and desirable/undesirable are all social constructions: subjective, consensual understandings of the world in which we live. Most kids want to be good because they're taught that being good is desirable.
    edited November 2012
    @Mortianna

I never said I believed humans are inherently good, I believe no such thing. I believe humans are inherently of the self-serving attitude above all else, it's ingrained in our genetics. In a lot of societies, being good is self-serving, because having a prospering society benefits the individual. But I believe becoming more good or evil than is self-serving requires shaping of some sort to one's personality.
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    I used to play the Goody Harrelson, because I just couldn't bring myself to be rude towards the NPC:s, still have problems with that. Nowadays I mostly play neutral characters, reflects my own attitudes better.
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    I always used to be evil in RPG's my first playthrough. Now I usually just pick what I'd actually do in any situation on first playthroughs and it's usually more of a neutral/semi-lawful evil type thing. Basically whatever's best for me and whatever faction/group/party member I want to align with.
    @Mortianna, and those social contructions of "good" are reinforced with simple behavioristic rewards and punishments, with strong material rewards offered to children who conform to the society's idea of "good".

I think that Santa Claus and my mother's and grandmother's childish glee in spoiling me at Christmastime had more to do with my eventual belief in God (as a teenager), than anything "real" or "true" about the idea.
    @alannahsmith I wonder where "raging bitch" and "cold-hearted bitch" would fit on the alignment scale?
    @Mortianna, why, Chaotic Evil vs. Lawful Evil, of course.
    @belgarathmth I can see cold-hearted bitchery as Neutral Evil as well. And a really bossy, raging bitch could fit Lawful Evil.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    I usually play neutral characters, or good ones with serious flaws (think Anomen... but maybe not as annoying). After watching my friend play the exact freaking same paladin over and over again, I guess I've sort of strayed away from that alignment.

A few of my characters end up changing alignment part way through the game, but that's due to character development, not a sudden urge to play a different alignment.
  • TrostTrost Member Posts: 1
    It has certainly changed for me. Quite a bit.
    When BG1 came out I started as a young pure chaotic evil 18 year old elf (shame on me for picking an elf), for the simple reason that evil chars are always more interesting. Sadly the interpretation of chaotic evil in BG1 left me with the feeling of being "stupid evil". Just like a Ned Stark turned evil... or a Knights of the Old Republic evil character.
    Then years passed, BG2, Planescape and the IWD series were released (great games all of them), and my dissapointment with 3d games and game industry in general grew up. But I digress.
    Every "good doer" answer option in those games left me with the feeling of being an idiot aswell (maybe I was already and did not knew). But also, if you stop to think about it... there was no reason to kill half the city because THAT npc in particular was wearing a robe or an apparently fancy shield, and thus it must have gotten some good loot on it... or because that dead end conversation lead me either to do as someone whished, or being slaughtered by the guards/thugs/idiots (back to kill half the city).
    Thats what I mean by limiting options to be really chaotic evil: your reputation was harmed (I dont mind low rep, I mind the consequences) everyone attacked you and ruined the rpg feeling turning the game into a Diablo style Npc hunt in the Sword Coast. You might even not be able to finish certain quests (unless I remember wrong) and well... wandering the country killing everyone while you exchange jokes with Xzar and Montaron gets old fast.
    So as it turns out Neutral Evil seemed the best choice. And I was happy and the games satisfying, for a few years.
    Then one day (lets say 29 years half-elf... still shame on me but not as bad as pure elf) I realized that really did not care that much for those faceless npcs. Their personal dramas, some old fart who never told me the truth (which I dont care about lets face it) about my past and my heritage, a bunch of kobolds terrifying some miners.
    At some point the most amusing conversation I had was with some villager who was vomiting corn (at least thats how they translated it). I really wanted that guy to come with my party and kill the monsters vomiting on them (the villager scratching his ass was cool aswell).
    So in the end I took the chaotic Neutral bus, for the above mentioned reasons and others that dont relate (dissapointing facts of life, jobless).
    And we had good adventures, and we ate villagers, saved Kobold maidens in perill and all those things heroes do. Kinda.
    And we still do.

Extract from "The incredibly exciting life of a 32 year old chaotic neutral human fighter (ocassionally fighter/thief)" .
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2012
    Back when I was a kid I would always play Chaotic Good, and of course, being a silly preteen prone to that annoying "lol so random" kind of stuff, it ended up being pretty close to Chaotic Stupid.
    From there, I have moved to Neutral Good as my favorite alignment in my late teens, and now I tend to play Lawful good characters, with NG, N, and LN characters being close seconds. I'll play as all alignments, but those three are the most common for me.

So pretty much, my characters have gone from Chaotic to Lawful, and though they still lean towards Good, I play Neutral a lot more often.

...I still stay away from Evil characters unless I just have a really good concept for one and want to see how they'd be in actual roleplay.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I always used to play chaotic good, because it felt cool =) Now I still play chaotic (it's still cool), but sometimes neutral good, they way I see myself really. Cant immerse myself otherwise.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.