Skip to content

Wow, latest patch really screwed servers

ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
edited December 2017 in Technical Support
Wow before this patch my server system work perfectly. Now for lan game(server) connecting to my self does not show up in main field, show up in only history. When I connect to it, it refuse character name.

Need to fix it so still show up in main window even if it not posted to the internet. Not all of us play through the internet (we still play local lan or lan server)

Comments

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hey,

true, the official masterserver doesn't list LAN-only servers anymore, but we've not changed anything in regards to LAN discovery. I think your game might not even see the server locally through broadcast enumeration.

Can you give me some details on your setup? Do you have firewalls in place?
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    What other details do you need on setup? Yes there the basic firewall(windows 7) but it allow server and client to function normally. If I set it to post to internet it work fine, but if I just uptick that then nothing. Why did you remove master listing LAN-only? Even direct connect causes issue and even crashes.
  • GarenRunebladeGarenRuneblade Member Posts: 13
    I also play several PW mods in LAN. I had the same issue with trying to direct connect to my home machine (127.0.0.1:5121) it dumped me to the desktop, generated a crash dump file. If I click the game running icon on my task bar, it takes me back to the main server board, if I try to join my server on either History or Favorites, message says player cd key already in use. Exiting the Beamdog client and checking NWServer shows indeed my character is logged in on the server. So I have to shut the server down, restart and reload the mod...once you launch the game again with the Beamdog client, it connects with no problem to my LAN server IF I only use History or Favorites. So the glitch only happens if you select Direct Connect. At least you can still connect to your LAN game. Hope this helps.
    edited December 2017
    Nope, I tried that and still will not let me connect say server refused name, but yes similar results as you when trying other way to connect. Use to just work when we had master server recognizing LAN in patch before. Wow you should not have to jump through that many hoops for it to work either.
    Post edited by ShadowM on
  • sippelmcsippelmc Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2017

I also play several PW mods in LAN. I had the same issue with trying to direct connect to my home machine (127.0.0.1:5121) it dumped me to the desktop, generated a crash dump file. If I click the game running icon on my task bar, it takes me back to the main server board, if I try to join my server on either History or Favorites, message says player cd key already in use. Exiting the Beamdog client and checking NWServer shows indeed my character is logged in on the server. So I have to shut the server down, restart and reload the mod...once you launch the game again with the Beamdog client, it connects with no problem to my LAN server IF I only use History or Favorites. So the glitch only happens if you select Direct Connect. At least you can still connect to your LAN game. Hope this helps.

This loclhost crash bug has been in since v x82, so its not new with this version. It is actually your client that is crashing and leaving you registered in the local server, which is still running. If you boot yourself off via console you should be able to login without a shutdown/reload (and crash if localhost) again.

I can be patient with lan discovery etc as it seems they're changing a lot on that end. Sounds like great news on that front!
    niv said:

Hey again,

we're aware that LAN discovery is currently very flaky. As an aside, the server list really has nothing to do with it: It doesn't list unreachable or private servers, because they cannot be connected to from the outside anyways. The recent change there is part of trying to improve that, so such faffery as forwarding ports or dealing with NAT issues is not required in the future. We're not quite there yet though.

Local servers (localhost and on the LAN) should be found by the game itself by means of LAN broadcasts. That part is what is flaking out in the current build. We are looking into it.

Thanks for the response and I glad you know about it and working on it. I do some more testing later and see how it going.