Skip to content

2»

Comments

• dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    @jjstraka34 Amc said they will keep walking dead for 30 years... or until the actors die... lol
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2017

The "Dumbest Decision" award for a character in The Last Jedi goes to that guy in the trench on the mineral planet before the battle which takes place there. He licks his finger, touches the deposits on the ground, then puts the mineral salt on his tongue. He has absolutely *no* idea how dangerous mineral salts can be--even small doses can be highly toxic.

In retrospect, that whole sequence just serves the purpose of letting us know we are on a salt-planet. I don't much care what it was made of, I just cared that the colors looked amazing and popped off the screen. Ultimately though, I suppose some explanation of the red everywhere was necessary. The look of "The Last Jedi" was perhaps the best thing about it, especially Snoke's throne room. All 3 of the Disney films have very sharp, pleasing colors, whereas the prequels seem to be stuck in an infinite haze.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @jjstraka34 , Thank you for addressing my dislikes point by point.

I'll attempt to answer in kind.

1) You have a good point about Poe's getting people killed via being reckless. However, I still see no reason why he shouldn't have been told about the master military plan by Laura Dern before he decided she was betraying the lives of the Resistance. I see no military reason whatsoever for her to have kept such information classified from him and the other pilots. It was petty dislike on her part, to the point of almost destroying hers and Leia's plans for the escape of the Resistance, and nothing more that I can see. Boo to Laura Dern's character, and Leia, for that matter. Poe's heart was in the right place, and yours weren't.

2) Rose had no way of knowing that Rey would save the Resistance by levitating a mass of boulders out of their escape path via the Force. For everything she knew, she was destroying Finn's only chance to save them by wrecking the battering ram laser. She was glad to do so out of some foolish "We should save what we love" nonsense, while taking an action that would destroy everything she loved in the long run. She is a fool in my opinion, and a very dangerous fool, and a good Star Wars movie had no business going there.

3) Sure, Leia could use Force telekinesis to pull herself back to the ship. And a Force bubble to protect herself from the absolute zero temperature, and vacuum and airlessness of space. And, somehow she could maintain consciousness long enough to knock on the airlock (You don't find that comical and immersion-breaking?) before the crew opened the airlock door and took her in, where she only *then* lapsed into unconsciousness long enough for Laura Dern to put Poe in his place as a strong woman versus an arrogant male for no good reason. Umm, okay, I guess that works for you. It doesn't work for me, and it wins my sympathy for "arrogant male" Poe, and "wins" my condemnation for "strong woman" Laura Dern.

4) Snoke was bragging about how inside Kylo Ren's mind he was at the very last moment when he wasn't. What? Really? Did Kylo also use the Force to hide his mind's intent at the same moment he was using Force telekinesis to kill Snoke without Snoke detecting even a glimmer of what he was doing? After the movie had just established Snoke as some kind of near omnipotent supervillain? You may think that works as a subversion of audience expectations. I just think it's stupid writing.

5) I like the idea of the democratization of the Force. The writers didn't need to crap all over Luke's history or the storyline started in Episode VII to do it. Rey could have been a twin sister of Kylo hidden by Han and Leia for the same reasons Ben and Yoda hid Leia from Luke. That could even be written into even more of a "girl power" theme than the failed "girl power" themes they did. Predictable, sure. Also very, very satisfying, and a story for the ages.

6) Sure, they did the Force astral projection thing with very good detail. It's still a very unsatisfying heroic end for Luke, and, how did he die, anyway? Was it that he exhausted his life making the projection over light years? Or did he just kind of give up? The movie doesn't make it clear. Again, very bad writing. It would have been so much more satisfying and awesome if he had levitated his "Checkov's X-wing" out of the lake, (and they also broke the Checkov's Gun principle with that shot, very egregiously), flown to the salt planet, and actually sacrificed his life in battle. Bad, bad, horrible writing. I think Anton Checkov would agree.

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2017

1) You have a good point about Poe's getting people killed via being reckless. However, I still see no reason why he shouldn't have been told about the master military plan by Laura Dern before he decided she was betraying the lives of the Resistance. I see no military reason whatsoever for her to have kept such information classified from him and the other pilots. It was petty dislike on her part, to the point of almost destroying hers and Leia's plans for the escape of the Resistance, and nothing more that I can see. Boo to Laura Dern's character, and Leia, for that matter. Poe's heart was in the right place, and yours weren't.

2) Rose had no way of knowing that Rey would save the Resistance by levitating a mass of boulders out of their escape path via the Force. For everything she knew, she was destroying Finn's only chance to save them by wrecking the battering ram laser. She was glad to do so out of some foolish "We should save what we love" nonsense, while taking an action that would destroy everything she loved in the long run. She is a fool in my opinion, and a very dangerous fool, and a good Star Wars movie had no business going there.

3) Sure, Leia could use Force telekinesis to pull herself back to the ship. And a Force bubble to protect herself from the absolute zero temperature, and vacuum and airlessness of space. And, somehow she could maintain consciousness long enough to knock on the airlock (You don't find that comical and immersion-breaking?) before the crew opened the airlock door and took her in, where she only *then* lapsed into unconsciousness long enough for Laura Dern to put Poe in his place as a strong woman versus an arrogant male for no good reason. Umm, okay, I guess that works for you. It doesn't work for me, and it wins my sympathy for "arrogant male" Poe, and "wins" my condemnation for "strong woman" Laura Dern.

4) Snoke was bragging about how inside Kylo Ren's mind he was at the very last moment when he wasn't. What? Really? Did Kylo also use the Force to hide his mind's intent at the same moment he was using Force telekinesis to kill Snoke without Snoke detecting even a glimmer of what he was doing? After the movie had just established Snoke as some kind of near omnipotent supervillain? You may think that works as a subversion of audience expectations. I just think it's stupid writing.

5) I like the idea of the democratization of the Force. The writers didn't need to crap all over Luke's history or the storyline started in Episode VII to do it. Rey could have been a twin sister of Kylo hidden by Han and Leia for the same reasons Ben and Yoda hid Leia from Luke. That could even be written into even more of a "girl power" theme than the failed "girl power" themes they did. Predictable, sure. Also very, very satisfying, and a story for the ages.

6) Sure, they did the Force astral projection thing with very good detail. It's still a very unsatisfying heroic end for Luke, and, how did he die, anyway? Was it that he exhausted his life making the projection over light years? Or did he just kind of give up? The movie doesn't make it clear. Again, very bad writing. It would have been so much more satisfying and awesome if he had levitated his "Checkov's X-wing" out of the lake, (and they also broke the Checkov's Gun principle with that shot, very egregiously), flown to the salt planet, and actually sacrificed his life in battle. Bad, bad, horrible writing. I think Anton Checkov would agree.

In the end, I just don't think anything nearly as egregious as the worst parts of the prequels are on display in this movie. Midichlorians remain the gold standard for bad ideas. The whole movie isn't prefaced on a trade dispute. The cutesy-CGI (which honestly existed in the original trilogy, it was just puppetry and stop-motion so it seems more forgivable) is kept to a bare minimum. I like having stuff in the background that doesn't mean anything. As for a great bad guy getting potential screen-time cut short, it's hard to be upset after Darth Maul, who was criminally under-utilized, and, in hindsight, is one of the only good things about Episode 1 that doesn't involve art design. And then, of course, there is the dialogue, exemplified by Padme and Anakin in the field on Naboo in one of the worst written scenes in movie history (no joke, I actually believe that).

I still have some affection for some scenes in the prequels, but they have held up horribly. I just don't think "The Last Jedi" is even remotely in the category of badness as Episodes 1 and 2, and honestly, 3 is only saved because of a scenery-chewing performance by Ian McDiarmid. Hayden Christensen was actually a good actor (the movie "Shattered Glass" is proof positive of this), and we know what Natalie Portman is capable of. They both look like rank amateurs in the prequel trilogy, and it can't possibly be their fault. I generally hate the fact that Samuel L. Jackson was cast as Mace Windu, because all you can think about when he is on screen is "huh, Sam Jackson is in a Star Wars movie". The only person who comes across reasonably well from an acting standpoint in the prequels is Ewen McGregor, because I think he just sort of viewed the whole thing as a joke from Episode 2 on. The new movies (Rogue One included) just seem infinitely more competent to me. I don't know. Clearly many people hated the new one. But I can't help but think it would have been 10x worse if Lucas still held the reins. And I don't even point to Star Wars as my main piece of evidence for that. I point to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". I feel about that movie exactly how many fans apparently feel about "The Last Jedi". If the prequels were bad, Indiana Jones 4 was the deepest pit of horrible. I remember telling my girlfriend at the time after it was over it made me want to jump off a bridge.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2017

1) because Holdo, like the other characters, is flawed. Having been promoted from a long way down the chain she lacks the experience and leadership needed. So she sticks to standard millitary procedure, which is to NOT explain stratagy to low ranking personnel.

2) Yes, Rose did act foolishy. The whole point of the film is that people bad decisions, and if they survive they learn. That includes female characters too!

3) The death of Carie Fisher meant that her scenes couldn't be reshot and polished. Killing her off was considered, but sentiment prevented the crew from doing it. The original plan for Leia's arc was she would have to overcome her reluctance to use the Force (remember the old EU stuff is gone). It's worth noting that it is actally possible to survive for several seconds in vaccuum. It is the instant explosion trope that is wrong.

4) Yeah, I liked it. It meant we didn't just get a remake of Emperor-Vader, and hopefully the next film will now be prevented from being a remake of RotJ. Snoke was manipulating Kylo, not puppetering or reading his thoughts, and overestimating his level of control made him vunerable. I see no reason why Snoke couldn't still be in the next film though, as a Force ghost, possessed clone, or more "first jedi".

5) given that the jedi order was supposed to be celibate, it was the "Force bloodlines" trope that was stupid. As for Luke, his fate was that of most heroes who survive long enough. Read Beowulf. Made explicit in RotK: "I saved the Shire, but not for me."

6) it's spelled out earier in the film why Luke couldn't survive the strain. I liked it - it didn't repeat the same old lightsaber duel, and it involved cleverness rather than simply raw power. I.e the light, not the dark. Luke's X-wing was shown in a completly wrecked condition, and it's wing was now the door of Luke's hut. It was shown wrecked to tell us he had no intention of ever leaving. I'm sure Luke will be in the next film, but he couldn't simply come back and kick butt - old heroes always have to step aside for new heroes.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I avoid the new SW movies because I don't like fanfiction.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @BelgarathMTH -
    Regarding the bombs in zero-g, I don't see that as a major issue.
    1. Star Wars has always drawn its space battle inspiration from WWII dogfights. So, the bombers easily fit the spirit of action.
    2. There could easily be a means to accelerate the bombs as they leave the bomber (e.g., use magnets to accelerate the bombs out of the hatch). Once they are in space, Newton's 1st Law says they will keep moving unless acted on by an outside force (or they hit their target and explode).
    3. Star Wars has never cared about scientific accuracy anyway, e.g. sound in space, laser beams traveling light-years between star systems in minutes, etc..

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2017
    I really liked Rogue One too, but largely because the acting was better than most movies in the franchise. But there was some really good acting in TLJ too. Daisy Ridley was awful in TFA, but she seems to have had lessons.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386

Is there a movie that trolls the audience ?

Spaceballs, the whole scene where the characters look at themselves on the TV
    edited January 2018
    Does anyone here like B-movies? What do you guys think of Grave? I haven't seen it but B-movies fans say it's great.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxDMz4FCu2U
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Matthieu I LOVE B-movies. These days, I get more joy and entertainment from them than I do from the more "polished" triple A movies. Though the most "recent" B-movie I've seen was the last Resident Evil movie. So much good cheese in that series.
    edited January 2018
    I like B-movies too because filmmakers sometimes do things you'll never see on a superproduction nor on an "author" movie.

Superproduction movies have such a huge budget they always fall in cheapness and facility to grab as many viewers as possible. The only exception I saw is Blade Runner 2049, it's a fan movie made with a hollywood budget and I want to say thank you to Sony pictures and Ridley Scott for leaving Denis Villeneuve in full charge.

Arty movies with a big director name also tend to fall on the same things ever and ever. When someone wants to see a Terence Malik movie, he expect to see things he saw before from him (well kind of like a Star Wars fan wants to see the movie he expects and doesn't like virages).

Someone wants to see a Nicolas Winding Refn movie, well he expects a NWR style though here I don't mind because I like his stuffs.

B-movies sometimes go full crazies and it's very refreshising.
    ThacoBell said:

@Matthieu I LOVE B-movies. These days, I get more joy and entertainment from them than I do from the more "polished" triple A movies. Though the most "recent" B-movie I've seen was the last Resident Evil movie. So much good cheese in that series.

Following the success of Raw (Grave) last year it seems French horror movies are a thing these days.

La Nuit a Dévoré le Monde (litterally: the Night Ate the World):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRPJvb9ph5o

And Ghostland:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3MDoQlAfbQ

Both to be out this March.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2018
    I just saw Au Revoir Là Haut, released in 2017, and that was quite interesting. A really good movie, I recommand to everyone.

They seemingly translated the title by "see you up there", not exactly the right title but I guess it sounds better than "Goodbye up there".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMTyn_fKjCM
    Post edited by Matthieu on
    Since I talked of new French extremety movies here the latest Gaspar Noé, Climax, was shown in Cannes in a side event (la Quinzaine des Réalisteurs), filmed in secrecy with no advertisement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNp0jlfbgqM

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/22/gaspar-noe-six-people-walked-out-of-climax-no-i-usually-have-25

Only six people walking out of the movie, what a loosy performance it must have been.
    Just caught up with this one. It was brilliant
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt8T_rGrOrU
    Finally caught up with Gaspar Noé's Climax. The movie had a VERY limited release and while I understand why it's really a shame.

I'd say it's the best movie against drugs. We are following a troupe of dancers practicing a last time before heading to the USA for a tour. The movie is set in the mid 90s so they have no cell phones and they practice in a remote mansion in the mountains that belong to the manager.

They make this big practice session and they have a party together, they drink, a lot, and find out someone put something in the sangria. Actually someone put LSD in it and the troupe gets both drugged and intoxicated and things go tits up. Since they are stuck in the mountains surrounded by snow and have no phone to contact the outside no one can come to help.

This movie is a gigantic bad trip with things going worse and worse until the climax. Not for kids, the movie has lots of very adult themes and can be extremely disturbing when horrible things happen and no one is sober to prevent or stop them. 

The movie has very few scenes but they're real long, we're following a character in his bad experience and then when crossing another we switch and follow the other one, each time expecting the worse.

The opening dance scene is also fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coBIkjUJRgM
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    The last two movies I saw in a movie theatre were Black Panther, and Suicide Squad.

Suicide Squad was so stupid. The action was okay, but the plot could have been a jello mold for all the excitement it gave the movie. Made no sense, badly edited. My favorite Character was Diablo
    And he died.

So, it didn't get very high marks from me. But that came more from the lame-ass stupid plot than anything else.

Black Panther was probably the best movie I have seen since the first "Avengers" movie, which I also saw in a theatre. Black Panther made me feel like Wakanda was a real place I could look up in an Atlas. It seriously rocked. I loved that even though Killraven was the villain, he taught the hero a lesson and wasn't just a "I'm evil for the sake of being evil" sort of villain. He may have been evil, but he had a point, and even though he's defeated in the end (not really a spoiler), he changes T'Challa's outlook on the world.

I also saw the "New" Jumanji film on Cable with my best friend and roommate, and it was really amazing. Funny, engaging and with some really awesome acting by the main characters. I loved the horrendously bad and awkward kiss between the Rock and Karen Gillan. Her "Fight Dancing" scene was both amazing and funny.

I stopped watching the MCU a while ago. I liked Iron Man, Iron Man 2 much less so but it was still enjoyable and I tried to follow the line but honestly I was hoping for something as good as the first Iron Man and never got it.

I stopped watching after Dr Strange, and truth to be told watching most MCU movies was for me an ordeal so bad they are. The Winter Soldier was ok but otherwise it's a disaster franchise, and a disaster people like.

On TV show I liked Daredevil, 2 seasons, but Jessica Jones was a torture to watch and Luke Cage couldn't get further than a couple of episodes and now they say they'll stop Daredevil.
    About recent movies... Well I think I saw a lot of crazy, weirder than weird, shits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI054ow6KJk