Skip to content

Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures Game

Neverwinter nights has basically two kind of players, single players doing the OC (or many of the third party modules) and people logging in to persistent worlds in a multi-players environment. I think the enhanced edition can add a third kind of gaming experience (that might even become part of the two previous ones), wargaming! It boggles the mind that in all this years there was never a computer adaption of wargaming for 3.0 aka the D&D Miniature game (nor it's predecessors, Battlesystem for AD&D and Chainmail for the original D&D game), the closest thing has been the little known Stronghold computer game for the BECMI set of rules.

So my suggestion is about beefing up the henchmen engine to be able to pit two small armies (each controlled by a player) against each other with different sets of victory clauses (extermination, take the flag, invade the enemy fortress, etc). This was probably not achievable in the past because it would require very powerful machines, but machines nowadays probably have the brainpower (they only need the correct AI).

Comments

• MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    I don’t know if this is what you mean
    But I sort of did this in a module i made but didn’t finish where I made a front line, 6 special NPC’s a side that had an on death script to respawn another soldier back at the base where there was a pile of bodies prop and healers to simulate rezzing. When you add 1 off archers holding the rear defences. It’s quite interesting (sides are balanced) that the front line moves back and fourth but no one wins. Along comes the player to join the good side and help fight back to the base where the healers are killed thus ending the never ending loop. Yet another thing I love about this game. So you can infact make a tiny live war as the game is now but not sure if this is what you mean.
  • mangamusclemangamuscle Member Posts: 30
    @MrDamage I do not mean "tiny live war" but a real combat between two small armies, with plenty (a lot more than six) of NPCs fighting on each side (wihout respawning, think about it like Warcraft, but without the supply phase and you can't "build" new units while the battle is raging, maybe get reinforcements (summon spells) or raise dead/create undead).

Also of course the healer and the marshal character classes should be implemented (and some new rules from the miniatures rulebook).
  • fasthd97fasthd97 Member Posts: 34
    Check out warband and Bannerlord,if you havent yet.Be warned the learning curve is Murder.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    There is a battle in HotU that involves a fair number of units on either side. It really taxed my system at the time.