Skip to content

Feedback --> How to get new players to play 2.5 beta

DJ_RaptorDJ_Raptor Member Posts: 16
edited January 2018 in The 2.5 Update Beta
Just add some cool new achievements, available in beta.

Deus Ex: Revision does that, some data bellow.

Version 1.3

start of beta : 14.08.2017
end of beta 14.10.2017

Players tracked by Astats that get "Not so fast J.C" achievement before end of beta 8/11 ---> 72%
(probably more, but they are not tracked)

http://astats.astats.nl/astats/Steam_Achievement_Info.php?AchievementID=242&AppID=397550&SteamID64=76561198039374546

Medium daily players for Deus Ex in September --------> 22,4
http://steamcharts.com/app/397550

Medium daily players for Baldur's Gate in September-----> 403,5
http://steamcharts.com/app/228280

Forecast of extra achievement hunting players during two months beta: 144,1 (minimum)

I know that both games are very different, and have different communities, but it worked once, so maybe give it a chance?

Anyway, I just wanted to help.

Post edited by DJ_Raptor on

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    There's already forum badges for participating in betas.

Besides, what's the point of making an Achievement that then cannot be obtained anymore. That just feels silly, and will annoyingly irk completionists!
  • DJ_RaptorDJ_Raptor Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2018
    Thels said:

There's already forum badges for participating in betas.

Besides, what's the point of making an Achievement that then cannot be obtained anymore. That just feels silly, and will annoyingly irk completionists!

You miss the point completely.

They will be attainable for people playing 2.5 beta, and when it's out (not beta) for everyone.

And belive me, for many people being the first person in world to unlock some achievement is really big deal.

It work for Deus Ex, don't see why it shouldn't for Baldur's Gate
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    not sure, but are achievements a big thing for the IE games?

– there are so many platforms where they are available, steam is only one of them, so the impact on the whole would be smaller.

- 2.5 is primarily for multiplayer cross-platform compatibility, not so much for new features or bugfixes. testing multiplayer means to bring people together to play the game, preferrably on different platforms, which can be hard of course. but i'm not sure that achievements on one single of the available platforms are the cure.

– if this shall be of value for beta feedback, the achievements would have to be designed in a way that makes people cruise and cover all kind of things in-game ... if a reward just makes all hunters do the same things, the only bugs found that way would lie in the path to that goal. can be done, but needs some good concept.

– personally i'm totally turned down by the whole achievements idea for baldurs gate / iwd ... to me, it's like doing potentially out-of-the-role things in a good, complex, inherently rewarding game, just to get some stickers in a sticker collection meta game. not sure how many people who could give valuable beta feedback, because they know the games in and out, are into that sport ... for me personally, i'd not move a finger for another achievement.

i don't know anything though about deus ex and whether it's comparable or not ...