Skip to content

Skald, berserker/mage or maybe even Inqisitor

My planned party - Korgain, Aerie, Yoshimo -> Imoen, Haer-Dalis, Cernd? Aerie stays, I plan to snub her, also Korgain stays too, Haer-dalis stays too, unless I roll a skald. Is Cernd a good healer/divine caster? It seems like I'm going to miss Harper's hold and divine powerspells... Should I snub Viconia, too?

I need help building my party.

Comments

• somethingsnazzysomethingsnazzy Member Posts: 6
    Bards are not nearly as good in BG2 as they are in BG1. I'd drop Haer unless you want him for some other reason.

Cernd I find to be terrible too. His stats are awful and his shapeshifting falls off. He is a good caster but Jaheira isn't a bad caster if you want druid spells and a druid will never replace a cleric.

Berserker dualled to mage at level 9 is my favorite caster class. Berserk is underrated. It protects from so many effects, including imprisonment (which is rare but has no saving throws and cannot be resisted). At a level 9 dual, you can get nearly 3x the HP as a mage, assuming 18 constitution.

Lastly, it opens up a lot of items. This is particularly important if you want to use two mages. The second best mage gear is usually a very large step down from the best. There is no good defensive staff after the staff of the magi, every robe is mediocre compared to the robe of Vecna, there is only one pair of bracers AC 3, helm options are very limited and will need to be shared with thieves until UAI, etc. With a berserker mage, however, you can stick to Elven chain, Dakkons katana, Defender of Easthaven and use any number of helmets or shields.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Berseker is fantastic and really useful also for who dual in mage, but the mage is the class that can protect from imprisonment easily so in that build the advantages are others. About the blade I have a different opinion, even if I think that ee needed it a lot, my haer Dalis was able to tank the vampires in the streets in chap 2 soa when I could not use spells, hits well 4 apt using scarlet and mundane, can use the Pally sword and if ranged output is needed mmm are there. Later black razor is his mh weapon of choice. Still I will use bards only in original, but imo he is not so weak also in ee.
    JuliusBorisov