Skip to content

Can't Join Multiplayer Games

I can't seem to join any multiplayer games since the last update. I've tried launching the server on my own machine and logging into it from the client, and I've tried putting the server up on my machine and trying to log in from another computer in the house that also has its own version of NWN:EE installed. I tried this two-machine method both launching the server with nwserver and by starting a multiplayer online game via the client to act as the server.

In all cases, I get a sad message telling me that the client has crashed hard, and a looping error that makes me kill the game with Task Manager.

I can open the module and play all by myself on a multiplayer or standalone server without any issues, and I can launch the module from inside the toolset using the 'Test Module' feature. I just can't play multiplayer. This happens whether I'm using a vanilla mod with no haks or a custom module with custom content.

I reported this bug here: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34824

I just wanted to post this here so that other people know that it has been reported, and also in hopes that I might learn more about whether or not there's anything I can do on my end to resolve the problem or if I need to wait for an update.

Comments

• GlassmelterGlassmelter Member Posts: 38
    So... after I posted this, I decided to go play around with things some more, and I tried again loading and playing some other mods that don't use the new haks I created. This time, those other modules played fine so I decided that the problem must be my haks. I went and pulled all of the 2da files out of my haks and reviewed them in notepad. I actually found and fixed a few problems, rebuilt the 2da hak, and tried loading and entering my module again.

It didn't work, but now I am getting error code 3221225477 instead of the hard crash.

I still don't have any problem playing the exact same module (with the haks that I'm sure I still need to groom for problems) in single player, just when I try to log into it as a server.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Does your module use any sort of external SQL database/NWNX or is it just a regular module you want to play multiplayer with someone?
    No, no NWNX. The banking system uses bioware's native database, but it doesn't feature in any of the module load or client enter scripting.
    Through a nutty amount of testing today, I figured out the root cause of the problem. The problem was the filename length of my hak files. Some of them had more than 16 characters in the filename, and once I changed the filenames and adjusted the mod, everything works fine.

So, if you are having this problem, check your hak filename length!