Skip to content

Is there UI scaling in the current build?

themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
edited January 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
Do we have any UI scaling currently? My graphics are 1920x1080 max, but I can't find any resolution that scales.

Comments

• mandibeckmandibeck Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 5
    Yes there is - I play at 2560x1440 and 5120x2880 and I got a field under the resolution where I can choose between 1 and 4 so the UI scales. On macOS and Win10.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited January 2018
    Hmm... well, I know it isn't gone then, hah! But I could have sworn out of the options I had. I had one that scaled on a previous patch.
    Post edited by themazingness on
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    No, there isn't, at least on one of the most common resolutions out there, which is 1920x1080. Certain resolutions have it, but there is no option to scale for 1920x1080, and we aren't yet sure if there will be.
    I'm really hoping there will be. Right now, for the dialogues to be tolerable I have to use a low resolution.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248

No, there isn't, at least on one of the most common resolutions out there, which is 1920x1080. Certain resolutions have it, but there is no option to scale for 1920x1080, and we aren't yet sure if there will be.

I can confirm 1440p and 4K scale fine.

Does changing "SetUIScale=0" in nwn.ini to a different value do anything for people on lower resolutions?

I can confirm 1440p and 4K scale fine.

Does changing "SetUIScale=0" in nwn.ini to a different value do anything for people on lower resolutions?
    On my 1920x1080 laptop screen, I can't scale the UI at ANY resolution. Everything is stuck at 1, even when the configuration file is set to 0. This isn't a surprise, as to my understanding they haven't yet implemented scaling for this resolution. I am still holding out hope it is going to happen, as I will be sorely disappointed if that isn't the case.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited January 2018
    Perhaps set a custom resolution profile in your nvidia/ati control panel for 2560x1440?
    You would get both UI scaling and supersampling if it works.

I've had mixed results in various games (especially on laptops) but It could be worth a try.

:)
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    Scaling doesn't work on 1080p due to how the panels would run off the edge when doubled yadda yadda there's a Trello for it.

It's the only disappointing part about NWN:EE for me so far!
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    All I have to say is it works great on a 4k monitor. This alone makes it worth it over the GOG version to me. No mods have been able to make the game playable at 4k for me, so this is a welcome addition. I could play the old version at 1080p alright, but 4k was stupid tiny.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    Until it is added. I found this on the vault and use it. https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/gui/enhanced-gui
    edited January 2018
    raz651 said:

Until it is added. I found this on the vault and use it. https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/gui/enhanced-gui

I tried it out, but it doesn't really fit my needs. My biggest problem is the dialogues, which this doesn't affect at all. Plus the font is ugly and it chops out a lot of the Video options. I'm still stuck at a low resolution for dialogues, sadly :disappointed:.

Edit: This did help me realize it might be appropriate to make this a separate request. Dialogue font scaling seems to be a separate issue from the UI font.
    Post edited by themazingness on
    1920x1080 accounts for almost 20% of all computer displays. To have it eliminated from UI scaling would be sort of absurd.
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    It’s not that they’ve eliminated it—they just have it as scaling at certain breakpoints that don’t work at 1080p.

They’ll get to it once they start hacking away at a UI solution.