Skip to content

Make Premium modules out of Goldbox Games

Ever tried the brilliant Pool of Radiance Remastered module by Wayne Schlegl for NWN2?
That game is the best campaign/module I've ever seen for any NWN iteration.
The way it fleshes out the story and stays true to Realmslore is fantastic.
I even converted the game for pen&paper.
With converting old Goldbox games to NWN, you could pick up all the old fans of these modules. The first CRPG generation AND curious NWN gamers.
I'm 100% this would work.
If you do - do it the Schlegl-way. For PoR I would even contact him and ask for permission to use his ideas.

Comments

• RichieGroinstabRichieGroinstab Member Posts: 7
    Love it.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    A great idea! Looking forward to what the modding community does with this!
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    This should probably go on a different board, since it isn't reallly a task for Beamdog.
  • brixbrix Member Posts: 43
    Fardragon said:

This should probably go on a different board, since it isn't reallly a task for Beamdog.

Headline is "Premium Module", so I it would be Beamdog's job. Of course no modder ist prohibited to give it a try.

This would be Enhanced Gold Box in Enhanced NWN. Equals Enhanced ^2
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I think you need to justify why you think it should be Beamdog's job then!

I can give you several reasons why it shouldn't.

1) Legal: someone owns the intellectual rights to those modules. But it's muddy legal waters who. It matters if a commercial company is publishing them for profit, but not if an amateur releases them for free.

2) Logistical: Beamdog only have a small group of developers. I think it's more important that they work on improvements to the engine and the toolset. Then perhaps look at creating their own premium content.

3) Quality: You say yourself that the NWN2 POR remake made by a community member was excellent. Why should Beamdog be able to do it better than the community?
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    All the gold box games that I know of are from actual campaigns.
    Almost all campaigns have already been done in the toolset.
    It has been a few years but I remember a pnp conversion team that did them. I only played a few but I think maybe a hundred have already been converted.
    Fardragon said:

I think you need to justify why you think it should be Beamdog's job then!

I can give you several reasons why it shouldn't.

1) Legal: someone owns the intellectual rights to those modules. But it's muddy legal waters who. It matters if a commercial company is publishing them for profit, but not if an amateur releases them for free.

2) Logistical: Beamdog only have a small group of developers. I think it's more important that they work on improvements to the engine and the toolset. Then perhaps look at creating their own premium content.

3) Quality: You say yourself that the NWN2 POR remake made by a community member was excellent. Why should Beamdog be able to do it better than the community?

Hey Fardragon,
    1. obviously legal matters can be solved. Otherwise we would not have EE's
    2. They are already considering premium modules, as this is a popular demand by the community
    3. Yes. This was an outstanding work. But there are a lot of failed attempts, by hobby modders. Beamdog guys are after all professionals.
    Staran said:

All the gold box games that I know of are from actual campaigns.
    Almost all campaigns have already been done in the toolset.
    It has been a few years but I remember a pnp conversion team that did them. I only played a few but I think maybe a hundred have already been converted.

Can you point me to these games? I only know of PoR by Chris Fowler, which was not bad, but more of 1:1 conversion without a deep roleplaying experience. There were a lot of half baked modules, as far as I recall.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Rather than wrangling older licenses and merging them it's probably better if they focus the premium module on the D&D storyline line for that year. For example last year and currently the story line is Tomb of Annihilation centered on the jungle of Chult as a remake Tomb of Horrors remake. Their product licensing also ties in with this so other companies produce similar themed content, like Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms, and Tales from Candle Keep. It would also be a good excuse to release an optional 5e ruleset with the premium module.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Try this : https://neverwintervault.org/tags/classic-pnp-conversion
    I don’t have the time (or the inclination until henchmen ai is fixed) to test them but this should take you the better part of a year

Rather than wrangling older licenses and merging them it's probably better if they focus the premium module on the D&D storyline line for that year. For example last year and currently the story line is Tomb of Annihilation centered on the jungle of Chult as a remake Tomb of Horrors remake. Their product licensing also ties in with this so other companies produce similar themed content, like Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms, and Tales from Candle Keep. It would also be a good excuse to release an optional 5e ruleset with the premium module.

I Like the Idea and I do not speak against it. For me NWNEE is just more of a retro thing.
    There is however a game die ToA.
  • solodungsolodung Member Posts: 2
    @brix Have you tried the 'Eye of the Beholder' mod? Technically it's a 'black box' remaster but it is a incredibly well done mod that expands on the original and fleshes it out quite a bit. Also, one of the best multiplayer mods IMO.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/eye-beholder

Speaking of classic PNP mods, I'd recommend:

The Sunless Citadel
    Dwellers of the Forbidden City
    N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God
    Tomb of Horrors by Ghool
    S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

I think they are all Hall of Fame.
  • solodungsolodung Member Posts: 2
    I'd love to see conversions of some of the newer 5th edition campaigns. 'The Lost Mine of Phandelver' would be really great, especially if a world map option gets implemented into the enhanced edition. If Beamdog was to do a premium module of a campaign, I'd vote for that one. I'd also love to see a conversion of 'Storm Kings Thunder' or 'the Curse of Strahd'. They would be great huge sandbox campaigns.