Skip to content

Question about the Tuigan Bow +1

The bow's description says it fires three shots per round. Do you need weapon specialization to fire more than one shot per round, or does it automatically fire three shots no matter what?

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Its base APR is 3, just like darts, so any character who can use it will fire at least three shots per round. This can be increased by specialization bonuses, etc.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Standard short and long bows have 2 APR, so the Tuigan gets a bonus of an additional 1 shot.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited January 2018
    it really shines in the hands of a fighter with lev 13 and gm in bow as he reaches 5 apr, 10 when improved hasted, rate of fire of a machine gun or of GWW for the rounds IH lasts.

for casters i prefer slings with enchanted bullets, as they get str dmg bonus and other things.
    imoen hasted using sling and +2 bullets (2 apr) under the effect of the long lasting str spell makes more damage than hasted and probably improved hasted with tuigan (but who wastes an IH on a mage).
    if i want for some reason high apr from a mage dart is the way to go, as you will loot plenty of enchanted darts with poisoning or disabling effects and later a returning dart of good enchantment.
    the fact that immy and nalia can use thief weapons is useful, but because they can use some swords, katanas and other thing a mage can't use, mainly for their static effects, but imo the proficiency in short bow they have is only useful if you give them the bow cromwell can forge for you, as it can disrupt though stoneskins.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

it really shines in the hands of a fighter with lev 13 and gm in bow as he reaches 5 apr, 10 when improved hasted, rate of fire of a machine gun or of GWW for the rounds IH lasts.

for casters i prefer slings with enchanted bullets, as they get str dmg bonus and other things.
    imoen hasted using sling and +2 bullets (2 apr) under the effect of the long lasting str spell makes more damage than hasted and probably improved hasted with tuigan (but who wastes an IH on a mage).
    if i want for some reason high apr from a mage dart is the way to go, as you will loot plenty of enchanted darts with poisoning or disabling effects and later a returning dart of good enchantment.
    the fact that immy and nalia can use thief weapons is useful, but because they can use some swords, katanas and other thing a mage can't use, mainly for their static effects, but imo the proficiency in short bow they have is only useful if you give them the bow cromwell can forge for you, as it can disrupt though stoneskins.

what about the throwing daggers boomerang and firetooth? they deal a base 2d4 + (2 or 3) use a strength bonus AND come with an extra attack per round, so with improved haste your mages can have 4 attacks per round dealing more damage than they would with sling and bullets? ( or at least pretty close )

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited January 2018
    they are "hidden" trowing bastard swords with the apr of a bow. so really good alternatives to slings.
    i prefer the way they and the trowing axes are implemented in original if i have to tell you the truth.

original: only the lower dagger, that had also less enchantment level and only the not anti undead axe get str bonus.
    not possible to use the dagger as mlee as you are DW

EE: all the daggers get it all the axes doesn't.
    possible to use the dagger as mlee as you are DW retaining his increased apr.
    in original you have to chose between a less strong version that give str bonus or a better one without, both for axes and daggers. in EE all the advantage is by dagger side, they are now too powerful while the axes are nerfed.

about slings you have some advantages, the one that needs no bullets is available early in soa and hits everything, even demiliches, equipped with bullets is damaging as every other good sling. later, tob or before if you get the erinne sling, you will find +4 bullets that can hit everything but 2 or 3 foe. also the 1apr with good damage is better than more apr with less damage x attack. you need haste and not improved haste to double the damage output, much cheaper, with a single cast all the party and summons (if latest EE patches did not nerf it) benefit of it. let's say that you have aerie and immy or nalia and immy and have already summoned some helpers, maybe the slow ones like bears or skellies, at the cost of a really cheap single spell you have all the party and helpers move fast, big tactical advantage, and with +1 apr. with daggers you need a much more valuable IH, that is lost for a good fighter with apr and damage to use it at its best, and even so you loose the benefits for the rest of the party and the summons. if you don't want to cast spells a speed potion works as good to double the damage output, even if you loose the buffing of the rest of the party. with haste or potion the dmg output of a mage using the dagger is only 50% more instead of 100%.
    that is what makes slings as good as daggers imo.
    but you are right, daggers are really good, anyway my point is that to have both immy and nalia with that pip in short bow is misleading. i feel that the majority of players use them like so, at least i don't remember a single yt video and maybe a single forum post where they are not using sb. the truth is that sling, dagger and dart are better as ranged weapon for them. tugian shines if you have more pips in sb, better gm, so you add increased damage at its meh one and multiply it for an incredible apr.

EDIT: sometimes i have to try a multi FC or RC using the best sling equipped with +4 bullets while GWW buffed with 25 str, 25 dex and RM for maxed damage roll each hit. Maybe an archer can pull out more damage x round, but he should be one of the most damaging ranged as long as his GWWs lasts, on top of the utility he gaves as mlee fighter and with his divine spells :)
    never underrate slings, never forget what David did at Goliath...
    i edited something also in the part above.
    Post edited by gorgonzola on
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well my cleric always uses a sling, so they can be good