Zaram Maldovar
CN Human Dragon Disciple
Str: 10
Dex: 15
Con: 16
Int: 17
Wis: 7
Char: 15

While his heart is (usually) in the right place, Zaram is a pyromaniac sorcerer of questionable sanity and typically chooses his traveling companions for personal reasons instead of being based on any logic. This results in Zaram traveling with normally incompatible alignments and enjoying every minute of it. Zaram is brash and arrogant and often gets into trouble due to his lack of common sense or planning skills and normally using his sharp tongue or overwhelming power to get himself out of situations likely caused by the same factors.

Zaram develops an attachment to any traveling companions he may have and will bring down all of his wrath on anyone who may seek to harm them, having a particular bond with Imoen, Neera, Minsc and (although likely not reciprocated) Dorn. Due to his relationship with Neera he grows to hate the Red Wizards of Thay, ultimately leading to several fateful confrontations with them in the years after the Baldur's Gate Saga the last of which resulted in him being trapped in his own staff the whereabouts of which are unknown.
Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    At this point, Zaram has to be the most famous forumite charname outside the no reload threads. He pops up everywhere ;)

There is a charname appreciation thread in the Fan Creations section for people to share their favorite/sigature charname. You may want to post in there, you may get some fanart.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @ThacoBell
    I appreciate it, though I already have @DJKajuru for that.

And do I really pop up everywhere? I mean I do post a lot, but I wasn't aware that other people took interest in posting about me?

Can you give me an example, I'm curious.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2018
    You do post a lot about your character. Zaram, piromaniac, solves pretty much everything with a fireball, stubborn and immature.

I know more about your CHARNAME that I know about my owns.

Edit: Just to clarify: You have the right to talk about your character as much as you want, I was just answering your questions.
    edited January 2018
    @Raduziel
    Aw thanks, it's an honor.

Edit: I had no idea that I was famous simply from posting a lot myself. This is an interesting but not unwelcome development, I am simply a man who likes Baldur's Gate.

Now how about some stories from the rest of you on your characters? I would love to hear them.
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @ZaramMaldovar , The way you describe him sounds like a perfect description of chaotic neutral behavior. The chaotic neutral person doesn't really mean any harm, (while often winding up causing harm anyway), is impulsive and undependable, he or she can be fiercely loyal to friends, gravitates towards funny people with colorful personalities regardless of their ethics, etc.

I guess Beamdog got it right, too, with Neera's personality.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Based on @BelgarathMTH I was thinking: is it possible to combine a high Wisdom with a Chaotic Neutral alignment?
    @Raduziel , That's an excellent question. What would a high wisdom chaotic neutral character be like? I do tend to associate the typical CN behavior with low wisdom.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited January 2018
    I guess that would be someone who does various things for their own self-gain, with a disdain for the limits of a lawful behavior. That person would have good insight about the people around them (high wisdom), but would use that insight for them only. Something like a somewhat manipulative person who hates paladins (too rigorous).

Or a cleric who revels into chaos. The chaotic aspect would be a religious and philosophical choice about their lifestyle, a way of living. A cleric who embraces the impermanence of everything. High wisdom and chaotic neutral behavior.
    Raduziel said:

Based on @BelgarathMTH I was thinking: is it possible to combine a high Wisdom with a Chaotic Neutral alignment?

Absolutely, it would just be tricky to accomplish although what @Arctodus described sounds more like Lawful Evil or perhaps even Neutral Evil but certainly not anything Chaotic.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited January 2018

@Raduziel , That's an excellent question. What would a high wisdom chaotic neutral character be like? I do tend to associate the typical CN behavior with low wisdom.

I am a IRL CN with exceedingly high wisdom, so I believe I am qualified to answer.

I, and do correct me if I am wrong, guesstimate that your assumption of CN behaviour stems from a belief that a from the purpose of accruing X, where X is your hearts desire (be it money, women or happyness) a rational approach is optimal.

However, a high wisdom allows you to analyze not just the optimal path to accruing X, but it allows you to analyze EVERYTHING! And one of these things is the folly of, well, "life, universe and all things". To put this realization into more layman terms; "the richest man in the graveyard is equally dead to the poorest, and to everyone else in between".

And that is the bitter truth about life; we have - if we are lucky - 80 years on this mudball, and in the end, nothing really matters anyway. Life is a series of moments, and every moment should be savored as well as can be. Now note that what sets high wisdom CN characters apart from sociopaths is that A) we do not necissarily have a desiree to cause harm for shits and jiggles, B ) we do have a conscience and will avoid the lashbacks of negative emotions that people with conscience gets from cruel acts, if possible (although, do note that since we do not take, well, anything, quite as seriously as do others - indeed, we make a point of trying to dispell others stern outlook on life - we may yet appear cruel or insensitive, as our consciousnesses are perhaps more flexible than is the norm) and C) we are often extrovert because we want shallow attention from the masses and love and admiration from the inner circles - but this attention, love and admiration is the end goal, as opposed to sociopaths who also seeks to use such soft power for sinister ulterior motives (though, a CN individual could certainly use soft power on a whim to aquire a desire that arose on a whim - but this desire was likely never an ulterior motive, and only rarely would we risk losing the soft power for the desire - again, as opposed to a sociopath, for which the soft power is useless if it cannot help with the desire and therefore thinks nothing of risking the soft power.)

Thus, our chaotic nature stems from a series of contradictions; we are ambitious, but lazy, we are friendly, but ultimately bored by the petty concerns that non CN individuals believe are oh-so-important, we are curious, imaginative and inventive, but quickly lose interest, we can emerge ourselves deep into projects and work insane hours to realize it, only to later shelf the project on a whim, we want to be popular and wanted at the same time we want our privacy and solitude. In short, the most core belief of a high wisdom CN individual is that nothing is as important as others would believe, and nothing is as unimportant as others would believe. Our strength is flexibility, stoicism, passion and resilience to negative emotions. Our weaknesses are lack of commitment, addiction to pleasure or pleasant things, insensitivity to others emotions and failure to respond to obligations in a timely and appropriate manner.

Finally, do note that since we are ruled more by whim than we are doctrine, we are neutral in the sense that we would not go out of our way to do good (or evil), but as creatures receptive to (and having a) conscience, we will often be more receptive to do good than to do evil - especially since we are more receptive to spiritual bounties than earthly bounties. However, our understanding of morality is likely not aligned with the general consensus, and we are inclined to perform - at times shocking - shenanigans, however evil they might be, if it amuse us. We also respond poorly to intimidation, annoyances, rivalry, injustices (even if not targeting us) and cruel deeds (even if not targeting us) and our retaliation might be unbalanced. We also love a good challenge, and can and will stick our nose where it is unwelcome, without any concerns of whoms toes we might be stepping on - this is not to say we are irrational however, and would not on purpose initiate a struggle where we are clearly out of our league.

This is opposed to true neutral characters, who would do evil for (ironically) the greater good and lawful neutral characters, for whom an evil deed which is necessary by doctrine is indifferent from a good deed necessary by doctrine.

Hope that helps!
    @DrakeICN
    Neat.

However I must point out that this thread has now gotten absurdly off topic.

Can we please start talking about our actual characters again? I know I'm not the only one who built a well thought-out charname.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

@tbone1

I named my first pony "Titus Oates", we are all guilty of bad puns at some point, don't feel bad. :#

(Titus Oates (15 September 1649 – 12/13 July 1705), also called Titus the Liar, was an English perjurer who fabricated the "Popish Plot", a supposed Catholic conspiracy to kill King Charles II.)

It suited him down to the ground as it turned out, absolute b'stard of an animal.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited January 2018
    @UnderstandMouseMagic Thanks, but some of these are truly horrendous. I'm one of the few Americans who is a fan of I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, which "inspired" some of the worst of them. (Jaime Kangaroodownsport, Wayne Amanger, Luke Outbelow)
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I've a soft spot for Ravayu Atar, the short tempered, book collecting, Paladin-slaughtering, mad genius Mage/Thief whose journal and epilogue story I wrote up:

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4735868/

I actually have his passage through SoA somewhere on one of my computers, his greatest accomplishment was probably sneaking into the plane of Celestia, rewriting the book of judgement, and leaving, all without a single person seeing him.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

High Wisdom characters have common sense, deep insight into any particular event, and an intuitive understanding of the world around them.

They are still short tempered amoral jackasses who go along with whatever they want to do for fun, profit, or because that uppity paladin was rude to them.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    edited January 2018
    I am at work ATM so I can't post any screenshots, but my favourite Charname is my CN barbarian that I played few times. In his current reincarnation he is called Slaine.
    He is "achillean" type of character - he has enormous ego and arrogance, often bragging how he is the best warrior in the Realms, and the most skilled fighter since Fflar ("but I think I could take him"). Prone both to anger and laughter, can provoke a brawl on a whim just to shower a beggar with gold moments later. He considers himself to be above any agreement or deal and will break them if he feels like it, but doesn't wish to inflict harm to others and has strict policy of not getting involve in any group with "grand cause" and long-term plans, caring and being loyal only to his close comrades. At the same time, he can and will meddle in any matter that stirs his interest, but will leave it as soon as something more interesting comes up.
    He has conflitcing needs: deep wish for solitude (he often complains how he wish he could just buy some mansion and spend rest of his live spending fortune he amassed) and egotic urge to be in spotlight.

Slaine can be charming, if he wants to - and usually he does, because he is hopelessy amorous and casually hits on every woman he considers pretty, regardless if they are single or not. As you can imagine, non of those romances really work, because his only true love is himself.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited January 2018
    @Artona

I've got one guy like him, too. CN Barbarian. Overbearing, brutish, in love with himself, demands respect, very thin-skinned, possesses conflicting Olympic God and saviour complexes. Surrounds himself with cronies who'll ultimately cave to his demands. I named him Dronald Drumpf.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @Contemplative_Hamster was Dronald proficient only in daggers and darts, despite his claims that he has big hands? ;)
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited January 2018
    Well yes, though he repeatedly threatened to launch his spear of doom at a beligerent gnome who claimed to have a spear of dooom of his own, only better. Then Dronald got sidetracked by something shiny.
    I do wish there were a way to get an XP bonus for a punny name, but good luck writing that algorithm.

(Algorithm - bad drumming by a former vice president)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Hi. I'm going to just let you know peeps that there is currently undervisited The CHARNAME Appreciation Thread by @LadyEibhilinRhett . It's worth taking a look:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67329/the-charname-appreciation-thread
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    ^THIS
    edited January 2018
    @tbone1 , I'm dying of curiosity to know how your Ryan got those stats. I see the green 18 in dexterity means he's probably using the gloves to solve his clumsiness problem, but that still leaves him with 4 18's and a 13 wisdom before charisma tome. Did you do it with an unusually high roll and dumping his dexterity down to 3? That would make him awfully vulnerable in BG2 until you could get through the first part of the Unseeing Eye quest.

I also notice the conspicuous absence of Minsc in that party that includes Dynaheir. Did you use a mod, or is there a story behind that?

@DrakeICN , Yours is interesting, too. You guys are starting to get me in the mood to start another BG run. So many fun games, so little time. I think we're living in another golden age of rpg gaming.
    @BelgarathMTH I had the roll of my life. The dexterity is eight, so a 93 total. I almost never get above a 90, even with paladins.
    edited January 2018
    @BelgarathMTH Oh, and about Minsc. He got it from a winter wolf on our way back from saving Dynaheir. And I thought “You know, between my cavalier and Kivan and Branwen, we’re okay on frontline characters”. So I picked up Garrick and Bob’s your uncle, off we went.