Skip to content

Alternate Install Folder to prevent iCloud backup

CebbCebb Member Posts: 2
Is there any way to change the default install location from ~/Documents on OSx? By default Apple uses all files in this folder for iCloud backup. With a full install of NWN + PRC, I now have 10gb that are trying to sync to iCloud that I don't necessarily need backing up. I may see the appeal for save files, but the entire game is unnecessary.

Does anybody know a solution for this? As it appears Apple doesn't allow you to specify iCloud backup folders.

Comments

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Try creating a empty file called iCloud.nosync in the NWN user dir. (Says google.)

Alternatively, you can run nwn with `-userDirectory /somewhere/else`. That'd require doing a separate shortcut to a shell script or similar. A bit painful.
  • CebbCebb Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, I'll try the icloud.nosync. Everything I found on it seemed to imply that I had to append that to the end of the fjolder name so it would become /Neverwinter Nights.nosync which I assumed would mess up the game. :) If that fails I'll create a new shortcut easily enough.
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Yes, that's what I figured too, but worth a shot (I don't use iCloud myself). If it doesn't work, we'll have to rethink.