Skip to content

A Question About Quayle

RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
Quayle's bio in Baldur's Gate stats that he is a worshipper of Baravar Hoodwinker, however, Aerie's bio in Baldur's Gate 2 says that she learned about Baervan Wildwanderer with Quayle.

So who is Quayle's Deity? Baravar or Baervan?

Reading the entries of both gods on Demihuman Deities doesn't help solve this mystery, as Baravar is a god more suitable for Cleric-Thieves (Beamdog did a fantastic job with Glint, by the way) and Baervan for Ranger-Cleric.

Baravar is also related to illusions, that would explain Quayle's side of the equation, but Aerie's side remains confused to me.

Edit: Many of the gnomish pantheon is somehow related to illusions, as this brief quote states:

"Baravar works closely with Segojan Earthcaller, as the Lord of the Burrow once included illusions in his portfolio, and Callarduran Smoothhands, for many deep gnomes are well versed in the art of magical deception."
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Maybe Quayle taught Aerie about Baervan because he thought that deity suited her better?
    JuliusBorisovtbone1Proont
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Just because Quayle directly serves one particular deity doesn't mean that's the deity that resonated with Aerie, nor that he wouldn't teach her about the full pantheon to which his deity belongs.

Imagine we were dealing with Greek religion, and Quayle was a priest of Hermes, would you be surprised to find that he also taught Aerie about Apollo?
    ThacoBellProont
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The problem is: Baervan doesn't suits Aerie. And she was not out of faith, as she still pay respect to Aerdrie Faenya.

Not a solid answer IMHO.
    Raduziel said:

The problem is: Baervan doesn't suits Aerie. And she was not out of faith, as she still pay respect to Aerdrie Faenya.

Not a solid answer IMHO.

She pays respect to Faenya, but actively worships Baervan. I don't see why our answers aren't solid. Hoodwinker certainly doesn't suit Aerie, so her not worshipping that deity makes perfect sense.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited January 2018
    I thought there was some question about Quayle in BG1 being the same Quayle in BG2. I mean, there are only so many names to go around. Their personalities are fairly different, too.
    edited January 2018
    @ThacoBell

I didn't meant to disrespect with the "not a solid answer".

But what you are saying is: Aerie serves Baervan because Baravar doesn't fits her.

And what I'm saying is: either does Baervan.

The way I see the only way to close this plot hole would be by making Aerie a priest of Baravar or making Quayle a priest of Baervan.

But maybe I'm overthinking this subject.
    tbone1 said:

I thought there was some question about Quayle in BG1 being the same Quayle in BG2. I mean, there are only so many names to go around. Their personalities are fairly different, too.

That's an interesting theory as BG2's Quayle doesn't seem to recognize CHARNAME, but two priest gnomes with the same name in the same saga sounds unlikely to be a coincidence.
    Proont
    @Raduziel Well Baravar is a nature type deity right? Elves are typically portrayed as being close to nature, so there still may be a connection there. I mean, how many Gnomish deities WOULD fit an Elf?
    ThacoBell said:

@Raduziel Well Baravar is a nature type deity right? Elves are typically portrayed as being close to nature, so there still may be a connection there. I mean, how many Gnomish deities WOULD fit an Elf?

Thinking this way, yeah, the deity from the Gnomish Pantheon that better relates to nature is Baervan.