Skip to content

new engine for Mac?

TrixterTrixter Member Posts: 237
I forgot- original NWN used an old code called Rosetta, with an old chip... that ended with their Operating System Ten.
We now have the Intel chip... will Mac EE be compatible with the latest technology?

Comments

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I would imagine so. They are pre-selling for the Mac, and they are well aware (through the Infinity Engine games) of what is needed for the Mac and for iOS. I fact, I can't imagine them NOT doing this.
    Arctodus
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hi,

NWN:EE runs fine on Intel Macs. It's one of our three platforms. In fact, I develop on Mac.

The original NWN 1.69 has a PowerPC binary, and Rosetta was the emulation layer that allowed PPC binaries to run more modern Intel Macs (very poorly). That's all in the past though and is not supported anymore.
    JuliusBorisovGreenWarlock
  • TrixterTrixter Member Posts: 237
    So EE is a new engine all together that allows all the expansions and related content to be played on Intel Macs?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    All the expansions and related content in NWN:EE are possible to be played on Intel Macs.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Trixter I believe it will be the same engine that it always was, with all the bug fixes and enhancements provided by BeamDog along the way. When it is time to build the software, they simply set the option to build code that will run on modern Mac using the Intel x86 family of CPUs, rather than the old Macs that used IBM PowerPC CPUs. The instructions that the compiler will emit are entirely different in these two cases, but the source code for the engine will be almost identical. This is also how iOS and Android support can be added - although there will be more work to target a device with very different input demands, particularly in the user interface.
    Thanks.

All the expansions and related content in NWN:EE are possible to be played on Intel Macs.

THOUGHT- with EE's redo/tweaks, will the TOOLSET become available for MACINTOSH?????? *hopes* :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Trixter said:

THOUGHT- with EE's redo/tweaks, will the TOOLSET become available for MACINTOSH?????? *hopes* :)
    The NWN:EE toolset is one of the things we’ll look into. It’s a big project.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/02/february-9-livestream-recap.html
    What will the tech specs be for Mac (minimum operating system, computer chips, etc.?)