Skip to content

Only i never liked a "jRPG" in my life?

SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
edited February 2018 in Off-Topic
Sorry if my 'definition' or jRPG sounds offensive to jRPG fans, but when i read 'jRPG", i 'visualize' a ultra linear history of a generic swordsman teenager saving the world with other teenager after farming the same monster for 60h+.

I don't see any jRPG showing mature content. Wen i mean mature, don't necessary means "fan service", means complex ethic decisions, dark themes like Slavery in Morrowind, they don't let you customize your main character, you need to be a immature teenager swordsman in 99% of time. That is exactly the opposite of NWN1 for example. In nwn1 you customize your character any way that you wanna, and play the OC with a sorcerer, then a druid then a paladin are completely different experiences because each class is so different. You can choose everything, age, gender, religion, skills, race, class...

The first game that i have played was M&M VII and my english was terrible(my grammar and accent still not good but at least i can undestand). Took an eternity to leave Emerald Island, but i loved everything. From the party customization to explore the island and get new spells, advance skills, try to get loot to sell. Was amazing. After a lot of time i got a PS1 and the first JRPG that i have played was FF VII. Dropped before i have completed the disc one. Found the game too repetitive and on rails.

I see a lot of jRPGs being released on steam and on gog and... Only i never liked a single jRPG? When i mean jRPG, i don't include RPG's developed in Japan with mostly "wRPG" characteristics like Dragon's Dogma.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,992
    i think mostly why JRPGs are the way they are is because they are more of a spectacle

the ones that i have seen/played ( although that isn't many, but they were the big time ones ) they really emphasize on the "epicness" of battles and setting, almost as if you were watching an anime

i remember playing my first JRPG called FFX and the reason why i played it was because i heard it was complete garbage with it's "too many cinematics" so i started playing it and found myself thinking the same thing as you were

but after awhile, for some weird reason it was kind of growing me, and i was slowly getting more and more into it, and the irony is, the game was actually pretty good, it was a new battle mechanic i've never seen before ( in fact out of all the final fantasies - although haven't played any, but seen friends play others - in my opinion it has the best battle system, none of this action bar/pseudo real time but not really turn based combat )

but yeah i understand what you mean though, i guess it just comes down to personal taste
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    sarevok57 said:

i think mostly why JRPGs are the way they are is because they are more of a spectacle

the ones that i have seen/played ( although that isn't many, but they were the big time ones ) they really emphasize on the "epicness" of battles and setting, almost as if you were watching an anime

i remember playing my first JRPG called FFX and the reason why i played it was because i heard it was complete garbage with it's "too many cinematics" so i started playing it and found myself thinking the same thing as you were

but after awhile, for some weird reason it was kind of growing me, and i was slowly getting more and more into it, and the irony is, the game was actually pretty good, it was a new battle mechanic i've never seen before ( in fact out of all the final fantasies - although haven't played any, but seen friends play others - in my opinion it has the best battle system, none of this action bar/pseudo real time but not really turn based combat )

but yeah i understand what you mean though, i guess it just comes down to personal taste

Yes, nice points but i don't understand why not watch a anime? Even if the battle system is good, If they force you to play with the "Prologue swordsman" in Dragon's Dogma instead of be able to customize your character any way that you want, i will not like it.

Personally i don't like play in melee in video games because i play games to do things that are impossible in reality(stop time, conjure a efreeti, etc), with swords, i can easily purchase a Katana/Rapier/Claymore and train in real life. If the game have a good lore, world to explore and etc, i can enjoy like Witcher. Maybe for some people who wanna feel more immerse in history and don't care about the MC and the grinding, jRPG sounds interesting.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I'm not fond of the genre either.

It's just a taste thing, as I don't really get on with their aesthetic/style.

I won't say that they're bad games or anything, they're just not for me.