Skip to content

Simple question : How to run a server

Hey !
I recently buy NWN:EE and more recently add it on steam. I want to play the campaign with my bro but we face a major issue : how can we simply run a server that allow us to play in coop ?

I tried directly on the multiplayer page : doesn't work;
I tried the NWServer i saw on a topic here : doesn't work;
I tried to open the 5121 port : doesn't work;
I tried to find the solution on topics and on the web : no answer.
Every time he try to join, he has an error message and can't connect to my server which seems to appear online ("seems").

So I took the decision to simply ask for help.
Is there a simple way to do it ? Like hitting some simple buttons, run something and go ?
I also tried to follow what the FAQ says about it and I had no result.

Thanks guys !

Comments

• FinalStandFinalStand Member Posts: 87
    For the port, you need to open both UDP and TCP port 5121. Most likely you will need to forward port to your computer and also make sure you have no local firewall.

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited February 2018
    You both have to have your own copy of the game.
    Try this
    LINK
  • SommerSommer Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your quick answer !
    I’m going to try to turn off my firewall and to open this port for both TCP and UDP.

Here is more info about it. Of course my bro has is own copy of the game. He’s playing on steam.
    I was able to run the campaign module, to create my char and to connect to my own server (I had the name issue but by following your link it works).
    My server name didn’t appear on the servers list so I gave him the IP address. When he tried to connect, the process blocked at “asking to be punched” (something like that) and then “Connexion timed out”.
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    I had written a guide on it here, if it interests you - which also includes a troubleshooting section.

Things to check:
    1. Have you let the server executable through any firewalls you have (Windows, router etc.)? Remember that Windows firewall has 3 different "profiles" (Domain, Private and Public), so ensure you have the correct ones ticked - or tick them all. Also ensure it is allowed through in both directions (incoming and outgoing).

2. Have you port forwarded all the required ports to the correct internal IP address of the server?

3. Is your server's local IP static? If not, it is liable to change on reboots and mess up your port forwarding rules. You should ideally set it to static to prevent any further changes. Either way, check to ensure your local IP has not altered and subsequently nullified your port forward rules.

4. Do you have any other software (Anti-virus or VLAN software like Hamachi) that could be interfering with network communication for the server?

5. Are you hosting on the same machine you are trying to join the game from? If so you may have a router incapable of "hairpinning". In such a case, connect to it via local IP (using the LAN server browser or manually by LAN IP), rather than external IP.
  • SommerSommer Member Posts: 3
    Well I follow your guide and it works... Super easy and ready to use !
    Man thanks you, you made my day !
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    Awesome! I am glad you got it going and hope you have fun!
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    edited February 2018
    Small nitpick: You don't need to forward 5121/tcp. NWN only uses udp, by default 5121 but you can pick a different port.

If you are behind a supported NAT configuration (the majority is), you won't even have to port-forward. NAT punching will take care of it for you, assuming you are publishing yourself on the server list. Note that this will likely make your firewall rewrite the port to a random high port. That's expected and unavoidable.

Some NAT types (like symmetric NAT) cannot be evaded with STUN, so in these cases you'll have to port-forward[, or live with the relay support we've added in 8160].