Skip to content

Avoiding arrow traps without a thief

I'm running a no-reload with a random party. That is, I roll a dice before the game starts to determine who can join. This time around, no thief.
I'm thinking about my plan and am wondering how I can avoid the arrow traps in Nashkell Mines?

I'm thinking Otiluke's, or Protection from Missiles.
Alternatively, I may have Khalid, ahem, walk point.
Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    As long as you aren't playing on insane you *should* be able to tank the arrows with judicious use of healing potions.

The set of 3 traps near the end of level 3 is the big scary, but the spell shield can actually help out quite a bit there :D
    Balrog99ThacoBellsemiticgoddess
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited February 2018
    It's never made sense to me that summons don't set off traps. That would make summoning spells even more useful and makes logical sense. A summoned goblin is somehow incorporeal when traps are involved? Makes NO sense...
    ThacoBellZaghoulsemiticgoddessQuartz
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    Gallenger said:

As long as you aren't playing on insane you *should* be able to tank the arrows with judicious use of healing potions.

The set of 3 traps near the end of level 3 is the big scary, but the spell shield can actually help out quite a bit there :D

I'm playing on Insane, so I'm really worried about tanking traps. ;)
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    Balrog99 said:

It's never made sense to me that summons don't set off traps. That would make summoning spells even more useful and makes logical sense. A summoned goblin is somehow incorporeal when traps are involved? Makes NO sense...

D0Tweaks actually has a component which allows summons (no neither or ghosts though) to set off traps.

This really is a must have feature, imo.
    Balrog99
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited February 2018
    Leave the mines until later would be my advice.

Collect some potions, defense, heroism, invulnerability, power, you should be able to pick some up. Give them to the most defendable person and run them through the traps.
    Would "Elf's Bane" belt help with arrow traps?
    Cast luck on the person as well as buffing them.

Are any of them repeating traps?
    I know one is, just along from where you have to cross the lava river level 3, there a small "bridge" over a stream of lava (which you can avoid) and that trap sets off as each person triggers it. So avoid.

The drawback is that on insane, those mines will be tougher at a higher level.
    ThacoBelltbone1
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    I don't know, but I speculate that at least the three traps at the end of level 3 might be completely avoided if you have a mage with the Dimension Door spell?
    Get the rest of the group as close as possible to the exit without triggering the traps and then have the mage trigger the area change?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    If you hug the northern wall very carefully you can squeeze around the three traps in front of the level exit (at least you can in v1.3, I don't know if it's been changed in later versions).
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    In current BGEE you can still avoid the later 3 traps entirely (I think you're better off by hugging the southern wall though). If you want to be cheesy you can use ctrl+4 (with the console activated) to show the location of all the objects you can interact with and assess if you can avoid them - here's what that looks like for those 3 traps.
    The 2 traps earlier on that level can't be avoided, but they each do a maximum of 12 damage (24 on insane). That means that even a mage character can easily tank them, let along a burly warrior. If though you're doing a run trying to avoid taking any damage at all, you could ensure that with stoneskin or mustard jelly shape (from polymorph self) and give yourself a good chance with mirror image.
    CloutierQuartz
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Just sayin', there is a new NPC ready to join your party just on tbe other side of that door... could be handy to have a spare slot. :naughty:

I was thinking that @subtledoctor was about to announce a new NPC mod.
    ThacoBell
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    edited May 2018
    @Cloutier This is a little metagamey but technically if you walk your individual characters to the far right and let them "hug the wall" none of the traps will set off. Done it hundreds of times soloing.
    Post edited by Noloir on
    Quartz