Skip to content

Tob different in EE ?

I played the original tob a very long time ago, and never finished it so far, that's why I am doing another try now.
But it was quite different in my memory : when arriving to Saradush, the town under siege, there was a very boring fight against a soldier in heavy armor who had a lot of healing potions. That's where you noticed the armors were only good at preventing critical hits but nothing else now, the fight was long and boring. Nothing like that in EE, the welcome party is just ridiculous at the "basic rules" difficulty. Plus the enemy mages were casting the 8th level spell "horrid Wilting", I had it cast against me 2 or 3 times before even reaching yagga-shura heart, and in the EE version not even once after defeating yagga-shura !
+ I remember I met some ettins (big giants with maces, but not fire giants), but not this time, don't know where they were.
It feels quite different then, I don't think it was because of mods, but I can't be 100% sure, it was a long time ago, maybe I had installed some mods which changed the general encounters and made them harder ?
Anyway it's easier now and so I should have a chance to reach the end this time !

Comments

• verlaineverlaine Member Posts: 47
    Most likely your old memory is from a modded game. Ascension is almost a *classic* add on to ToB, if you now play without it, there is some difference.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBellBalrog99
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the only difference that i can think of from the original ToB as apposed to the ToB EE ( both unmodded) is

-the drow in Sendai's enclave use HLA more often than they used to ( like smite or power attack i believe )
    -the demogorgon fight has been changed, he is weaker in the original ToB
    -the abizigal fight has been changed, where he is immune to timestop now and he casts a remove magic at the beginning of his dragon form
    - i think balthazar uses way more abilities now than he did before

but other than that, pretty much nothing has changed from the original to the EE, if anything, the default original is easier than the default enhanced edition

so my assumptions is that when you played this game waaaaaaaaaay back in the day, you must have been playing with mods, since no ettins appear anywhere in ToB ( the only appearances of ettins that i know of are: sahuagin city, and in the paladin stronghold quest, but never ToB )
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Is it possible you are seeing the effect of level-based spawns? Were you a much higher/lower level at the start of the campaign this time?
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Maybe it was the Verbeeg in IWD2.
  • zelurkerzelurker Member Posts: 168
    Much much much later after a lot happened, maybe it was the tactics mod, I also tested this at the time... !
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    no ettins in tob added by tactics mod.