Skip to content

Do monks receive a -2 THAC0 penalty for using fists in BGEE?

I was just reading the manuals for BGEE and under the weapon proficiency in the "Melee and Magic" guides it says that "Fighers, Rangers, Paladins, Monks and Barbarians receive a -2 penalty" for using a weapon they don't have any profiency in. Does that mean Monks get -2 THAC0 penalty for using fists? Or will there be an "Unarmed: profiency in BGEE? I've never played a monk before, but may try Rasaad out in BGEE, so am curious. Thanks!

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    If they haven't changed the BG2 rules, monks are automatically proficient with unarmed attacks. There was no proficiency, but they also received no penalty.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    @Adul - okay, great, that's re-assuring! BTW can monks actually *kill* with their fists, or is the enemy just knocked-out (not that it would be hard to then kill the knocked-out enemy woth a weapon at that point)
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @Oxford_Guy
    The monk have a Stunning Attack but can also kill with his fist, and at, (much higher), levels he have an attack that forces the enemy to either save or die.
    I played a monk in a PnP campaign, (we used the 3.5 edition though), and he ruled big time.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Oxford_Guy Monks kill with their fists and do not receive the -2 penalty when unarmed.
    Jalily said:

@Oxford_Guy Monks kill with their fists and do not receive the -2 penalty when unarmed.

@Jalily - Thanks for clarifying! :-)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Iirc only proficiencies that you can actually put proficiency points into give a penalty for the lack of them. I.e. lack of proficiency with fists, minute meteors etc don't give a penalty.
    edited November 2012
    Shin said:

Iirc only proficiencies that you can actually put proficiency points into give a penalty for the lack of them. I.e. lack of proficiency with fists, minute meteors etc don't give a penalty.

Is that really the case? I though they just gave things like Melf's Minute Meteros a +4 THAC0 to compensate for lack of proficiency, thoughI could be wrong. How do things work with the "Shillelagh" level 1 priest spell, for example? This has never been clear to me.