Skip to content

THAC0 bonus mechanics when attacking from stealth?

Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
I was wondering exacrtly how the THAC0 bonus you can get when attacking from stealth works:

a) Does this only appy to attacks with melee weapons? (I think this is probably the case)

b) What is the actual bonus, -4 THAC0?

c) Is this just on the first attack, the first attack that actually hits, or something else?

d) Do Rangers (and any other classes, e.g. if using Invisibility spell?)also get a THAC0 bonus (but not ability to backstab, except for high-level Stalkers) when attacking from stealth, or is it just rogues?

e) Does this bonus also apply for attacks made for a character under the Invisibility spell (I think it looks like it does)

f) Does this bonus apply to attacks made for a character under the Sanctuary spell (not sure here, though it doesn't look like you can back stab from Sanctuary, unless also stealthed)

Could anyone clarify these points? Thanks!
Post edited by Oxford_Guy on

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

a) Not sure, but I also think it's only melee.

b) Yes, i.e. +4 to hit.

c) Just the first one, even if it misses - after that stealth is considered broken.

d) Yeah, it's not a thief specific bonus, it works when attacking out of invisibility too, but afaik not sanctuary.

Also your letter designations are a bit out of whack. :P
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Shin said:

a) Not sure, but I also think it's only melee.

b) Yes, i.e. +4 to hit.

c) Just the first one, even if it misses - after that stealth is considered broken.

d) Yeah, it's not a thief specific bonus, it works when attacking out of invisibility too, but afaik not sanctuary.

Also your letter designations are a bit out of whack. :P

Thanks @Shin

BTW have now fixed my letter designations, sorry about that!
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    edited November 2012
    In this case, I think the ranger stealth ability is perhaps underrated - they can make great scouts, and if your main thief is a Swashbucker, pretty much mean you can avoid having to put any points into hide shadows/move silently initially. A ranger being able to get a first attack bonus too could be useful in some situations (e.g. to help with taking out an enemy mage)