Skip to content

[Solved] The game is stuttering

MultihogMultihog Member Posts: 1
edited March 2018 in Technical Support
So I have a stuttering problem with the game. Naturally, I Googled for solutions, and I noticed that many people suggested changing the advanced sound settings to something else in order to fix the stuttering problems. Apparently, this issue already existed in the original version of NWN. It's not like my PC can't run the game. It runs at a solid 150FPS apart from the stutters. GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM, i5 6600k

Under advanced sound settings, the sound provider list is completely empty for me. I also can't change between headphones, 2 speakers, 4 speakers, etc in the main sound menu; the game always reverts it back to 2 speakers. I tried changing my sound devices in Windows to see if it's caused by my audio interface somehow, but the same issue persists when I switch to on-board audio. NWN Diamond from GOG works 100% fine: no stuttering, and the audio settings work as they're supposed to. I reinstalled NWNEE to make sure the install isn't corrupted. Yes, I have a UI skin mod in that picture, but I also tried with an empty override. Running nwnmain.exe as admin doesn't help.

Pictures:
NWN Diamond (GOG): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zoezkzcs7ftr08u/_0000.png?dl=0
NWNEE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mb3f7rvj4zzmhky/Chapter_Two_0000.png?dl=0

Needless to say, it's annoying to deal with the stuttering, which I BELIEVE is caused by the audio settings according to my research, though I'm not sure about that.

EDIT: Well, it looks like the stuttering is gone now. I have no idea what fixed it, though. I copied all the audio settings over from the NWN Diamond into the NWNEE .ini and made it read-only, switched to on-board audio, and ran the game exe as admin. Maybe it was just my PC doing something taxing and causing the stutter. Well, I have no idea, but it's working now
Post edited by Multihog on

Comments

• ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    Howdy!

I suspect that the audio changes weren't related to the stuttering, as compared to the GoG installation of NWN, we've switched to a new audio system. Because of this, those UI elements for selecting specific audio options are technically disabled, which is why it resets each time.

As we continue development, we may be able to re-add said functionality, but at the moment, they dont' do anything just yet.

However, in the off-chance that it did have some kind of effect, could you possibly post the text you moved into your .ini here? I wouldn't mind taking a glance in case there was something that I overlooked.

Thanks! Glad things are working for you.